splitting sleeves for bolts

Keeping with the overall quality..........

For Savages I like to do something more in keeping with the overall quality of the unit. I just squash the bolt body in a vice until it fits tight. (note to Savage owners, I'm just kidding). Regards, Bill.

Bill, I almost fell out of the chair! Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

Aw Shucks....We all know Savage actions don't need no bolt work ...what with that toggle headed bolt!

For Savages I like to do something more in keeping with the overall quality of the unit. I just squash the bolt body in a vice until it fits tight. (note to Savage owners, I'm just kidding). Regards, Bill.

I love your comments Bill... I have to say the last Savage I was unable to repair (a new detachable magazine I had sold that would not feed) I solved with a 10 pound sledge hammer and a large chopping block. Then I refunded the customers money and said I was sorry but I can not help him.... and I refuse to try and fix any Savage magazine now. I won't work on them, Period. The name suits the product. Sorry Savage owners.

A Savage man, Savage action

I love your comments Bill... I have to say the last Savage I was unable to repair (a new detachable magazine I had sold that would not feed) I solved with a 10 pound sledge hammer and a large chopping block. Then I refunded the customers money and said I was sorry but I can not help him.... and I refuse to try and fix any Savage magazine now. I won't work on them, Period. The name suits the product. Sorry Savage owners.

Sorry Dennis, but I couldn't help myself.,,,,LOL

Shoot well
Peter

Slitting bolt sleeves

A wire EDM can cut perfect .010 slits. Of course not everyone has one handy.

I know a guy who occasionally slits sleeves for me on the EDM, but if I am in a hurry, I cut them with my Dremel tool mounted in a mini router table with a makeshift clamp holding the sleeve straight so I can slide it across the table in contact with the blade nice and straight. I found some cutoff blades that are extra thin, about .020.

Scott Roeder

Has anyone tried thermal spraying the bolt body to build up metal, with a little extra and then turning the built up area down to the desired diameter. I use thermal spray all the time for repairing spindles and other machine parts. Seems this would be a great way to sleeve bolts. I'm getting ready to blueprint my first action and this is the method I'm thinking about giving a whirl.

I think it would work just fine as long as you can keep the handle from jumping ship. It makes a nice slick surface for sure. Hard chroming and grinding to size will work fine as well but I would mask off the bolt head. Regards, Bill

Has anyone tried thermal spraying the bolt body to build up metal, with a little extra and then turning the built up area down to the desired diameter. I use thermal spray all the time for repairing spindles and other machine parts. Seems this would be a great way to sleeve bolts. I'm getting ready to blueprint my first action and this is the method I'm thinking about giving a whirl.

I've thought about the two methods (HVOF and Plasma (can't even remember now) as well. As Bill mentioned hard chroming is a another option. I think it might be worth considering machining small areas where you want the spray-on coating or hard chrome to help prevent shearing @ the boundry.

Thanks for the input guys. I will mask the bolt head and I'll just sandblast the areas to be sprayed to get a good bond. I have a friend that works for a thermal spray company so I'm sure I can get the first one done for free. I'll post the results when I get it done.

Back