Spec Out a Barrel For Me

NMC_EXP

Greetings

I've lurked here for a while. Been soaking up info but have a question.

My wife shoots smallbore F-class and does OK. I've heard F-class described as "belly benchrest" so I'm hoping this post is not out of place here.

Her rifle is a 40X with a factory barrel, bedded factory stock with a Shilen Competition trigger. A pretty basic outfit. This season she moved up to Lapua Midas ammo. For those who do not know, smallbore F-class is shot at 50 and 100 yards on the A-50 and A-33 ISSF targets.

At the Firecracker 4800 Prone Tournament this year she won a gift certificate for a standard Hart barrel. Hart's standard rimfire barrel is a 3 groove. For an additional $50 we can get a non-standard barrel.

I need advice on how to spec out this barrel. Specifically should I stay with the 3-groove or ask for something else?

Thanks

Jim

Sorry to tell you Jim, but, in rimfire benchrest, Hart barrels are about as popular as a flatulent man in an elevator.

Sorry to tell you Jim, but, in rimfire benchrest, Hart barrels are about as popular as a flatulent man in an elevator.

That is a hell of a note, but I appreciate the info anyway.

Historically at least on the smallbore prone side Hart seemed to have had as good a reputation as the rest.

On the benchrest side has Hart always had a poor rep or is it something recent?

PM Kevin

Try getting a hold of Kevin Nevius, I believe he has quite a bit of experience with Hart barrels on rimfire rifles.

Just because a barrel maker isn't the current favorite in one discipline doesn't mean it won't shoot.

Dennis

In the 15 years of so that I was involved in rimfire benchrest, Hart was never very popular. Some have tried them, gunsmiths have evaluated them, they just weren't as consistently good as other barrels. All barrels we purchase are a bit of a gamble as to whether they will be a top performer or not. The Hart barrels were too much of gamble even for those of us used to taking that gamble. If they could consistently produce a good barrel, benchrest shooters would be using them.

Gotta love Busky, he probably is not aware of how many Harts have kicked his dumb ass more than once in a big match.
They are not that popular in BR which is often a case of monkey see monkey do. That said they can
be quite good for bench work. My number one rifle wears a Hart 6 groove and it has shot a few 250 23 X's and a 24X .
There are at least two IR50 gold level hall of fame members that got there behind a Hart.
I have shot, extensively, both the 3 & 6 groovers and slightly favor the 6, for what that's worth.
When you call, talk to Jack Sutton.

Last edited:
Hey Samburi, Merry Christmas!!!

How many stinkers, hand-picked by your buddies at Hart, were chambered up before you found one that could shoot?? I remember kicking some of your ass in plenty of big matches too. It hasn't been all that long ago.

Last edited:
Hey Samburi, Merry Christmas!!!

How many stinkers, hand-picked by your buddies at Hart, were chambered up before you found one that could shoot?? I remember kicking some of your ass in plenty of big matches too. It hasn't been all that long ago.

God bless ya Billy. If being cluless was against the law, you'd be serving a life sentence.
Are'nt you late for an ocharino lesson?

Last edited:
Ah, it's ok Dave. Tim just likes being that guy in the elevator. He comes here to blow off a little - - steam(?). No one should take it personally. I don't. Tim and I, we're old buddies.

It's always kind of nice to se the " league of former shooters" get togeather for the holidays.
Busky....you still barred from entering the state of Maine?

Last edited:
It's always kind of nice to se the " league of former shooters" get togeather for the holidays.
Busky....you still barred from entering the state of Maine?

Bill oughta be sending your friend Pete X-Mas cards every year, as I fear if he hadn't stepped in ol' Bill'd be taking his meals from a straw the rest of his days......

Keith

Sorry to the OP for the thread getting crossed up.
I'll defer to Tim on Hart barrels but would add that the majority of us are using straight contoured barrels in the .900 range. Most are 4 groove but some great 2,3,6, & 8 groover's are out there. Its all in the quality of the barrel & the chamber.
Congrats on her having won the barrel. Enjoy!

Keith

Sorry to the OP for the thread getting crossed up.
I'll defer to Tim on Hart barrels but would add that the majority of us are using straight contoured barrels in the .900 range. Most are 4 groove but some great 2,3,6, & 8 groover's are out there. Its all in the quality of the barrel & the chamber.
Congrats on her having won the barrel. Enjoy!

Keith

Thanks Keith

When I was shooting an M1A barrel choice was a no brainer. This rimfire stuff is way too complicated for a knuckle dragging service rifle shooter.

Jim

Back