Something Happened

linekin

Something happened this past season that still has me wondering.
I do not have the means to do any ammo testing & buy large quantities of the "good" stuff so I buy a brick or two here & there & basically shoot what works the best.
So in April or May I'd bought some Tenex that was really pretty bad. So to the bottom of the ammo box it went & I never looked for it again until August when its about all I had left. I'll be damned if it didn't shoot almost great!
Obviously the temp was up 20+ degrees & it actually got humid up here for a couple weeks. The ammo worked.
I understand now why people will bring a few lots to the bench for each card.
But what I'm wondering is could I have done something in April to have made it shoot well then? For instance, added a weight, screwed the tuner in or out a few clicks, etc?
Can we fool the ammo or the gun into thinking everything is right in its world?
What happened?
keith

temp swing vs ammo velocity, get it all the time. we have temp swings here that will cover 40 degrees in 3 hours particularly in April and Early May as well as Sept. Start a match at 50 deg, by noon can be 90deg. really does a number on ya. and then there is the wind and mirage as well.

Keith,

One thing I have always told others is not to do Lot Testing during the winter, then expect that ammo same to shoot anywhere near the same once summer comes. You should always test under similar temperature conditions to what you'll be shooting in. And believe me, I speak from experience.

I remember one year back when Todd Banks (one of our better all-time National level shooters) was running low on his good stuff at the end of the season and figured how over the winter he would do some major Lot testing. I had told him the same, but at that time Todd was still gaining momentum, so he must have figured: what did I know. And boy, did he ever load up when he found that "Holy Grail" of Lots, to the tune of a couple of cases. Problem was: his testing was done in the dead of winter when temps never bettered the freezing mark, but once it turned to the mid 70's or higher when the heat of competition is happening on a weekly basis that super ammo became total crap, and he got bitten big-time.

I know this isn't exactly what your story is about, but both are ammo vs temperature related, so I though I'd throw it out there for others to jump on.

And yes, back in the day when both Eley and Lapua were tops, there was never a match I didn't bring at least 2 Lots of each ammo to the bench just in case.

Dave Shattuck

If you chrony eley

in the summer and compare lots that were made in the winter to lots made in the summer, you will find that the speeds don't come close to matching the advertised speed on the winter ammo while the summer made ammo will match pretty close. I have not chronied ammo in the winter but I bet the reverse is true at that time of year.

The answer - -

find a nice long, heated building and test in there - - - a boat shop, for instance - - - . Some of the best ammo I have had to date was discovered @ the Rock River Barn in December, during the day when the temp was up. Shot good for three years, up hill and down.

Pete

Last edited:
What would happen if you shot your test lots. Then compared the best lots to proven ammo that shot well in warm weather? Shooting in a heated building with a port hole to the outside. It would be nice to shoot and test ammo at 70deg. But in the North East April, Sept and. Oct. Matches, Most days won't offer that.

I believe tuners can fix a large percentage of issues if two things are true..First you must be willing to move your tuner, but only small movement is needed. Second, is it has got to be good ammo in your gun at some temperature.
Also, we have internal ballistics issues that may hinder some ammo as poor in one ambient condition, but great in another...that a tuner always can't fix.

IOW, bad ammo in your gun can't be fixed with a tuner, but good ammo often, but not always, can be kept good over a wide range of ambient conditions.

Is that clear as mud?:eek:

IME, most good ammo can be tuned to shoot in reasonable ambient differences. The prerequisite is that the ammo must be good in your gun at SOME ambient condition. Tuners won't fix bad ammo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I just thought that the ammo I shot in April or May was absolute junk & was pleasantly surprised in August.
I thought the ammo was either good or bad. No real in between.
I don't have anywhere warm enough to shoot even close to 50 yds indoors. I might be able to shoot about 100 ft in 55 degrees on a warm day.
I'm not opposed to twisting a tuner. I think I tend to overdue it though.I've only seen bad things happen when I did so quickly went back. Weight had the same effect. I see some guys have success doing these things & then things go south for them too.
I understand the importance of different lots/ speeds for your rifle better now & it might be subtle speed difference but important none the less.
I know you can't make a bad lot or bad gun great. But wouldn't it be nice!
Thanks guys
keith

What would happen if you shot your test lots. Then compared the best lots to proven ammo that shot well in warm weather? Shooting in a heated building with a port hole to the outside. It would be nice to shoot and test ammo at 70deg. But in the North East April, Sept and. Oct. Matches, Most days won't offer that.

Gordon do you see subtle differences with your good lots in cooler temps?
I think that a comparison would be a close as we could hope for. Of course knowing what you're looking for is a big plus I'm sure. I don't.
I figure the good lots go something like this. "where'd the other 4 shots go?" That's about what I was seeing in August. Looked like buckshot in April.

I use to think

my rifles went out of tune as the day went on. What I learned was, they need to me kept cleaner - - -. AND, they still may go out of tune. There are some folks who do move their tuners with success. I have never found it to be effective for me but when the wind is howling, who can tell? I have wondered when shooting in the indoor venues, why there is such a difference, relay to relay, with what the scores are. One would think it is tune but then, it seems to be another learning curve. I think the foul air in those places has finally kept me away so we'll let that curve go by. Nasty stuff, that air.

Pete

Thay have properly tuned guns that are left alone.

That's fine tim. But I didn't frig with the gun from when I received it. Not one bit.
How do you explain what happened?
Just looking for answers tim. Not an argument.
keith

At one of the indoor shoots I attended

I happened to sit beside one of the top shooters in the USA. I noticed he has brought 6 or so boxes of ammo with him of different lot numbers. May do it at every match as far as I know. Someone, who should know, once told me that he could live pretty well off what one particular shooter spends on test ammo; just saying - - -

Pete

Right on !

I believe tuners can fix a large percentage of issues if two things are true..First you must be willing to move your tuner, but only small movement is needed. Second, is it has got to be good ammo in your gun at some temperature.
Also, we have internal ballistics issues that may hinder some ammo as poor in one ambient condition, but great in another...that a tuner always can't fix.

IOW, bad ammo in your gun can't be fixed with a tuner, but good ammo often, but not always, can be kept good over a wide range of ambient conditions.

Is that clear as mud?:eek:

IME, most good ammo can be tuned to shoot in reasonable ambient differences. The prerequisite is that the ammo must be good in your gun at SOME ambient condition. Tuners won't fix bad ammo.

Well said Mike. You understand it perfectly. Holds true for both centerfire and rimfire. :cool:

Gene Beggs

Well said Mike. You understand it perfectly. Holds true for both centerfire and rimfire. :cool:

Gene Beggs

Thats interesting, except for a couple things that i truly wish the tuner crankers would kindly answer.
First, why do so many of the very top gunsmiths and shooters both, absolutely, disagree with this and have a quite substantial body of acomplishmentto back it up?
Secondly, why do the better of the sporters shot in IR 50 shoot so very well in a variety of weather and temperatures given they are tuned properly durring construction and then essentially untunable post build?

That's fine tim. But I didn't frig with the gun from when I received it. Not one bit.
How do you explain what happened?
Just looking for answers tim. Not an argument.
keith

This is one of those forum type deals where I doubt you get a definative answer. There could be lots of possabilities.
The gun finally got enough rounds to come alive a little.
The gun was not in tune to begin with.
Some maitanance related issue changed/ improved.
A bedding issue.
You had less than optimum test conditions to begin with.
You didnt know the gun and it/ you settled down.
Some guns are simply not consistant and never will be.

The last one is probably the hardest to learn, the hardest to come to terms with, and the hardest to move on from.
I'm not saying thats even an issue, how could I. It is however a possability.
Only a lot of experience, and the ability to use a gun that is truly capable as a baseline narrows the odds and there are simply guns out there that will drive you nuts. Its not the lousy guns, its the almost there guns, that give you gray hair. Ive had'ed, everybody I know has had'em. Worst thing in the world to own is a 248 gun if it is winning your striving for

good answers

Tim, good answers. All make sense to me. Mostly though is the fact that I may have got more accustomed to the rifle. The other thing that stands out is the initial testing conditions maybe weren't the best.
I never test ammo except for sighters in a match anyway. If I like what I'm seeing I continue. If not to the bottom of the box it goes to be discovered later.
Right or wrong I feel like I've been consistant in how I clean so I don't think that's it.
Keith

Thats interesting, except for a couple things that i truly wish the tuner crankers would kindly answer.
First, why do so many of the very top gunsmiths and shooters both, absolutely, disagree with this and have a quite substantial body of acomplishmentto back it up?
Secondly, why do the better of the sporters shot in IR 50 shoot so very well in a variety of weather and temperatures given they are tuned properly durring construction and then essentially untunable post build?

My guess is they know how to properly tune the rifle. The rest of us just get them close??? Close isn't good enough & therefore a little more cranking every now or adding a weight may help it??
Keith

Last edited:

Tim, I won't turn this into an argument, but isn't bringing two or more lots of ammo to the bench, a tuning method? How is it different than moving the tuner if either method produces a competitive rifle/load?
How is changing ammo any different than changing the load in cf? We have referred to changing the load as tuning, for forever.
IME, a good tuner setting...like a good load, is quite forgiving. Tuners widen tune windows by slowing everything down, by the very fact that they add mass to the end of our little cantilevered beam. This, in turn, makes the gun less susceptible, but not immune, to tune related issues brought on by atmospheric changes. Hence, a wider tune window. But, adding a mass at the end of a barrel does not stop atmospheric changes from having the same effect on the gun and/or the internal ballistics related to the ammo. i.e., powders/primers behaving differently at different temps. When these changes become apparent performance detriments on the target, what do we do? In cf, we change the load. In rf...we change the load, too...if we have another lot to "try", or to "go to".

Shooting with tuners in cf, for several years now, I have absolutely no doubt, that I can produce consistent and repeatable results from tuner cranking. I must admit that I very much dislike that term, as it implies large tuner movement, when that's the single most(by far) common mistake I see with new tuner users, or those that have been told that they need to move the tuner some great amount to matter. IME, every time, that's false.

Anyway, if I can produce consistent and repeatable..good results using a tuner on a cf rifle, how or why would one think it wouldn't be possible on a rf rifle? I can tell you that there are differences in what I've found to work, between rf and cf...but they are very, very similar. The way I go about keeping a rf gun tuned, with a tuner, came directly from what works for me on a cf gun.

Given a good load(ammo), I can make the gun shoot tiny dots, big ugly round groups, or anywhere in between....using only the tuner. I can repeat the same results, time after time, after time. There is nothing about a rifle that fires a rf cartridge that prevents this from being just as true. You must start with a good rifle, good ammo, and move the tuner in very small increments. Once you establish what completely in tune and out of tune look like on paper...and correlate that to amount of tuner adjustment, I've never seen a case where I'd need to move the tuner more than within that range of adjustment, with any ammo or load. With my tuners, that range has always been between 2-6 marks on the tuner, without exception. The biggest contributing variable is barrel stiffness, but rf's do require very slightly more movement to accomplish the same thing. So, as you can see, staying within this small range of movement keeps things simple. More importantly, consistent and repeatable.

Obviously, there are different camps, some with strong opinions on the subject of tuners.
I'm posting this because its what I have found to work. Its worked the same way on dozens of rifles, for me, personally, and many more. I won't be debating it further, as its intended not to be argumentative, but as information that is free to be used or shared....or not. --Mike Ezell

Back