SoCal Regional Results

Doug Miller and Joe.jpgDoug Miller.jpgJim Herrick.jpgJoe, Linzie and John.jpgJohn Carter.jpgWe had 17 shooters show up for this years Regional, included was 9 year old Sierra Tramel. It was an awesome weekend, beautiful weather, tough conditions, great food, and great folks to be a part of. Wayne Burns from Oregon joined us on a last minute call. I was very happy Wayne made the trip down, it was the first time meeting Wayne, and he is a true gentleman.

LV was the first class on Saturday morning, it was a good one, with 3 shooters neck and neck after the first card, after the second card Russ Holtz opened up a cushion but it was the last card where Matt Lababedy came through with high card to move a couple places and finished second. Jim Cyran finished 3rd. The Sacramento gents sweep-ed the top 3.

Open class was next, with tougher conditions to contend with. This is where there was no stopping Wayne. Wayne actually borrowed Larry Durhams rifle. It was still a very close one between the next 4 spots. Doug Miller shooting a nice card on the last target, gave him 2nd overall, with Jim Herrick placing 3rd.

Sunday morning was time for HV, the conditions seemed to hold a little longer in the beginning. Linzie Boise came out strong with the highest target shot all weekend, 249-11x, good shooting Linzie. This came down to a match between Vipha Miller, Doug Miller and Matt Lababedy, it came down to the last card, with Vipha and Doug tied and Matt one point behind after 2 cards. Vipha didn't quiver under the pressure, and won the HV class, with Doug 2nd, and Matt placing 3rd.

Our final match was the 50 yard 2 target match, conditions were not good, but again it was Wayne
Burns that came out on top, with Jim Herrick close behind his heels. One bad shot at that distance from either one and it's a game changer. Doug Miller placed 3rd.

Want to give a special Thank You to Bob Zimmerman for his gracious $100.00 gift certificate and also to Tim McMurray for a ninja bottle and reg. for our raffle.

Scooters barbecue was awesome as usual, and a BIG Thank You to John Carter and Jim Herrick for running the matches. Linzie, Thank You for your help with the awards, and to all the shooters for helping out where needed to make this event another success.

I'm going to give the top 5 places, the rest of the scores will be sent to Stephen to post on their site.

Results LV:

1) Russ Holtz, 243-8x, 244-3x, 239-6x, ==726-17x

2) Matt Lababedy, 238-3x, 239-3x, 242-6x, ==719-12x

3) Jim Cyran, 241-6x, 237-6x, 238-3x, == 716-15x

4) Vipha Miller, 245-7x, 232-4x, 238-2x, == 715-13x

5) Wayne Burns, 234-1x, 239-8x, 234-4x, == 712-19x

Top 5 Open Class:

1) Wayne Burns, 246-9x, 245-7x, 244-5x, == 735-21x

2) Doug Miller, 241-6x, 242-2x, 244-10x, ==727=18x

3) Jim Herrick, 242-3x, 244-10x, 239-6x, == 725-19x

4) Matt Lababedy, 244-2x, 241-6x, 239-6x, ==724-14x

5) Larry Durham, 238-2x, 241-9x, 244-9x, == 723-20x

Top 5 HV:

1) Vipha Miller, 244-6x, 248-7x, 248-8x, == 740-21x

2) Doug Miller, 247-12x, 245-9x, 246-8x, == 738-29x

3) Matt Lababedy, 245-4x, 246-6x, 246-8x, == 737-18x

4) Matt Kellerman, 243-8x, 242-8x, 243-9x, == 728-25x

5) Jim Cyran, 241-8x, 241-9x, 241-1x, == 723-18x

Unlimited 50 yards: Top 3

1) Wayne Burns, 227-1x, 227-5x, == 454-6x

2) Jim Herrick, 223-4x, 223-3x, == 446-7x

3) Doug Miller, 214-3x, 215-4x == 429- 7x

Thanks again to all the help and support.

Regards,
Joe

Attachments

• Dawson Open Rifle.jpg
    Dawson Open Rifle.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Joe,

Congratulations on another great event. Glad you had help from so many good people, there is so much to do. At some point, we all want to see you on the line again. Thank you.

Joe, that was just an Amazingly Wonderfully run and fun event!!!..

The BAR has now been set too high for the rest of us hosting clubs.. but lucky for us other clubs, it's so much higher than we can dream of matching, that we can't be condemned (hopefully) for not even coming close in future events.. This venue is just plane really nice!

Like LD was saying, your venue is top notch in every way... and then you personally pile on Over the top Awards and Prizes... mixed with the ultimate levels of quality food and service by smiling faces!

The match was also run so perfectly on time at every phase, targets displayed quickly after each relay.. running totals as they accumulated as well.

Target crews quickly collected targets before the next relay posted our next ones. Fresh solid backers each morning before we started.. every last touch was there!!

Then there are the most solid and over sized benches anywhere on the planet.. so much room to spread out your stuff, or slide the last relays guy stuff aside without any worries... All covered in an over sized and again solid roof and adjustable front sunshade.. first class everywhere one looks.

Now, from all this comfort, one studies the full flock of range provided, perfectly placed wind flags.. (with room enough for you to add your own)... and finds we'll be shooting in a lovely bowl of fruit trees, and into steel collecting boxes on perfectly level and spaced platforms.

Did I say bowl???.. yep. This is NOT a gimmie course in any way. One would think the groves of fruit trees would protect this small area.. but instead the wind drops down in the bowl, creating ups and downs at very un-expected times:) AND.. Switching, swirling winds that varied immensely with the gusts. It was great that Joe rotated us, so we all got to shoot in different parts of the bowl:) Even the early morning "gentle winds" are deceivingly "moving" .. if ya know what I mean:)

All this makes for a real test of skills and the best time a bench rest shooter could ever dream of..

Then, a good friend, LD, lends ya his gun and ya win a first place or two.. it ain't gonna get better than that... but I'm certainly open to any attempt:)

Wacky Wayne
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Great pics and match report Joe! Looks like everyone had a great time! Nice to see a couple of old friends in the pics, Russ's Dawson, Matt and Wayne:D. I've said it before but I'll say it again...I wish we weren't on opposite sides of the country, it would be great to shoot with you all some day!
Todd

Back