So this is where all the bullets got off to--

TomD

e publius unum
I recently watched episode 1 of Extreme Yachts (originally aired 11/18/12). The premise of the show is to go through the design and building of the yachts that some of us are lucky enough to glimpse on occasion. In the building phase of a 95 footer under construction by Northern Marine of Washington State they were discussing the efforts made to keep the boat stable in the notorious northern Pacific seas. The boat builder, while squatting in the bilge of the boat, said that one of the secrets was the bilge ballast, in this boat consisting of "60 thousand pounds of 9mm bullets cast in resin"! He then showed some.

They were unfired 9mm bullets, 60,000 pounds, in the bilge of a boat, aprox 3.4 million of them. Where the devil do you go to find millions of unfired bullets at scrap prices?

The Perry Class/FFG-7 class of Frigate had a lot of lead up front.
Not sure how much. But, it was a lot........
Also bow fins.........

Last edited:
I know you said new but I'm thinking range reclamation bullets. Those FMJ's look almost new after hitting the dirt berm. That Blue & White Expedition yacht looked real nice.

Last edited:
I
They were unfired 9mm bullets, 60,000 pounds, in the bilge of a boat, aprox 3.4 million of them. Where the devil do you go to find millions of unfired bullets at scrap prices?

The 9mm bullets? Probably donated by someone moving up to a 45 ACP!!

I know you said new but I'm thinking range reclamation bullets. Those FMJ's look almost new after hitting the dirt berm. That Blue & White Expedition yacht looked real nice.

Here's a screen shot taken off my TV of the bullet. It's not exactly clear but I don't see and rifling marks, deformation or discoloration at all. Rejects maybe? But millions of them?

nine_zpse978e547.jpg

Last edited:
Were the bullets manufacturing's culls not suitable for sale to the general public?

Do you think it's a way recoup some of their costs through scrap sale?

What were the years of manufacture?

Another conspiracy to deprive shooters of bullets?

Don't buy a yacht!

Now we know why we can't buy any 22 rimfire bullets--and all along I thought it was massive hoarding.

It's surprising how much a guy can learn by watching TV! I always thought "ballast" was a pile of big rocks. Who knew it was bullets?

I was going to buy a $95 million yacht myself but now won't to protest their cornering the market on bullets.

But, maybe it's worth having a luxury yacht that comes with a lifetime supply of bullets?

Bullets are about the best ballast you can buy. I've seen some poured-in-place setups, in fact my uncle has a 500lb chunk in his yard, but it's hard to deal with. Bullets are small, easily manipulated and coated against lead dusting.

Until someone has a better idea bullets will be poured into boats.

I guess I don't see the downside

al

Barry's or Rainer's.
We have ABB robots at work. The counter weight is really hard to handle. Even with 2 places for pad eyes. And yes it is lead. :)

Bullets would be much easier to deal with for ballast.
Think of the government regulations that would need to be dealt with if pouring lead into ballast molds at a boat building yard.
The property would also become a 'super fund' site.

22 LR bullets

Now we know why we can't buy any 22 rimfire bullets--and all along I thought it was massive hoarding.

I went to a gun show Sunday in Kenner, La, a suburb of New Orleans. They had 22 LR, albeit somewhat pricey. They seem to be coming back.

It's not exactly clear but I don't see and rifling marks, deformation or discoloration at all. Rejects maybe? But millions of them?
At least three of the bullets have distinct rifling marks. In the band of light, one is near the top of the image, one at the bottom. The third is to the left of the band of light, and just slightly below the midpoint of the column. (Which appears to have been cast in some type of plastic container - note the taper.)

Back 2001 I was working at the Delta Marine repair yard in Seattle. Good size yacht comes in with problems with the rudders and rudder posts. They needed to be removed and reset in the hull. We start to remove them and find they had taken fired bullets and filled the cavity between the stringers with them, then poured poly resin over it all. Had to dig a bunch of it out. A major pain is the arse. Found out later that he owned a indoor range in Los Angles. They did it because the boat was bow heavy and the rudders were too small and too close together hence the work we were doing.

Back