small pistol primers in 6MM BR

Small pistol primers in 6br

If your loads are on the hot side you will probably pierce the soft primer cup and burn your bolt face. If your loads are mild you will probably get away with it and they might even shoot better than normal. Are primers scarce in your neck of the woods, how come?:confused:

If your loads are on the hot side you will probably pierce the soft primer cup and burn your bolt face. If your loads are mild you will probably get away with it and they might even shoot better than normal. Are primers scarce in your neck of the woods, how come?:confused:

Primers arounds here have been scarce since the election. I have seen a $20 box of Federal 205m primers go for $175+ on Gunbroker. Glad I have had a few laying around..........

Brent Lidgard

Primers arounds here have been scarce since the election. I have seen a $20 box of Federal 205m primers go for $175+ on Gunbroker. Glad I have had a few laying around..........

Brent Lidgard

175+ :mad: I guess there has to be scum sucking, bottom feeding, dirt bags in every bunch. Personally I am not hurting, but if I was out, I wouldnt pay that, and if it was a store I would never cross thier door again. Guess its time to break out the ole fishing poles, and Red Ryder. :D:D

Hey can't find any primers. What would happen if I used small pistol in a 6MM BR case?

DON"T GO THERE!!, had a buddy that did it by mistake, pierced the first 3-4 so he went back to the bench and figured out what happened and pulled the bullets and started over,, ,,, if it was kool the primer company would package them as "small rifle & pistol primers", but they don't for a reason,,, don't dumb up in a pinch,,,,,,,,,,beg, borrow, steal or pay the fiddler for the right stuff,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,

DD

Nope.....

Tried that years ago when I first started trying to tune my 6mmBR loads. I only loaded 5 and to the best of my recollection it was the second one that pierced the primer. The first one "flowed" all around the firing pin hole. Pulled the bullets from the last 3 and decided it wasn't worth the risk. PLEASE don't do it.

Wonder..............

.........how the pistol primers would do with a tight fit very small firing pin diameter and small firing pin diameter bolt hole?

Are they energetic enough to light off slower than pistol burn rate powders in the 30-35 grain range?................Don

Lets get a reality check here!

pistol primers work on a whole lot less pressure than a rifle primer. hence the cup metal is thinner!! i mean bigtime!! with all that gas blowing around inside your action, bolt and stock, sheesh it is not really worth your eyesight. lets get to reality, and be safe. remember safety is your first concern. Fred

Mr Worker
If you live in the Austin TX area I will sell you 300 Small rifle primers for $2.60 per hundred to get you over the hump.
Ted

pistol primers work on a whole lot less pressure than a rifle primer. hence the cup metal is thinner!! i mean bigtime!! with all that gas blowing around inside your action, bolt and stock, sheesh it is not really worth your eyesight. lets get to reality, and be safe. remember safety is your first concern. Fred

Remington Xp100 pistols handle the same pressure loads as any centerfire rifle, wonder how they protect themselves from pistol primer liability issues?

Probably with factory ammo restrictive statements...........Don

only the fray

would not realize the cartridges an XP100 uses werent a lower pressure round.

probably why they discontinued manufacture of them. more fray being born every day. NO WANDER OBAMA GOT ELECTED!!!:mad:

Remington Xp100 pistols handle the same pressure loads as any centerfire rifle, wonder how they protect themselves from pistol primer liability issues?

Probably with factory ammo restrictive statements...........Don

The XP-100 was based on a short action bolt action carbine, the Model 600, with a 10 3/4" barrel set into a nylon stock with an unusual center-mounted grip. Chambered in .222 Remington in early prototypes, the short barrel produced significant noise and muzzle flash. Subsequently the case was shortened to reduce powder capacity to a volume more suited to the shorter barrel of a pistol. The resulting cartridge, the .221 Fireball, produced factory loaded velocities of over 2700 ft/s from the short barrel, and accuracy rivaling the parent .222 Remington, one of the most accurate cartridges made.

The XP-100 went through a number of changes during its production run, and many variations were only available through the Remington Custom shop. The most significant changes in the later versions were to barrel length, which went to 14 1/2", and the grip location, which was moved to the rear of the stock. The calibers also changed; with the elimination of the original 10 3/4" barrel, the reduced powder capacity was no longer such a requirement, and the chamberings switched to standard commercial rifle cartridges. By the time the XP-100 was discontinued, it faced stiff competition from other bolt-action pistols as well as the versatile Thompson Center Arms break-action Contender.

Fred in the beginning they were.

DR

Last edited:
Back