Simple reloading workflow question

Migs

Friends:

1. When I reload .308 on Forster dies (2 die set), is the lubrication (rolling on the lube pad) necessary on all the case body or just the neck? I understand these type of dies only modify the top of the case and not the body. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) What if I dipped just the first 1/2 inch of the neck in Mica before the decap/size die?

2. Is decaping and neck sizing so important to do before trimming? The reason I ask is because if I decap, I need to lube first, and then coming back to the trimmer would mean a lube mucked case to work with on the trimmer, and I usually clean as I trim using that cotton polish wad as I rotate the case in the trimmer.

3. I have taken to using examination gloves during reloading because I notice spotting forming on my cases otherwise. Have any of you had this problem? I like nice and shiny cases on my finished bullets. I use the RCBS lube pad with the RCBS silicone (?) fluid. How do you get the cases shiny after they are loaded?

4. I notice cleaning the inside of the case mouth with a brush just eats up brushes quickly. Is doing this so necessary? Might I be doing something wrong?

5. How important is it to deburr the outside of the case mouth after trimming? It seems to me this would only weaken the case mouth, as the trim itself looks really even (i.e. no burrs). What about deburring the inside of the case mouth, if the bevel doesn't seem necessary since my bullets are boat tails and they have the built in taper?

Thanks amigos,

Migs

Last edited:
Friends:

1. When I reload .308 on Forster dies (2 die set), is the lubrication (rolling on the lube pad) necessary on all the case body or just the neck? I understand these type of dies only modify the top of the case and not the body. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) What if I dipped just the first 1/2 inch of the neck in Mica before the decap/size die?

2. Is decaping and neck sizing so important to do before trimming? The reason I ask is because if I decap, I need to lube first, and then coming back to the trimmer would mean a lube mucked case to work with on the trimmer, and I usually clean as I trim using that cotton polish wad as I rotate the case in the trimmer.

3. I have taken to using examination gloves during reloading because I notice spotting forming on my cases otherwise. Have any of you had this problem? I like nice and shiny cases on my finished bullets. I use the RCBS lube pad with the RCBS silicone (?) fluid. How do you get the cases shiny after they are loaded?

4. I notice cleaning the inside of the case mouth with a brush just eats up brushes quickly. Is doing this so necessary? Might I be doing something wrong?

5. How important is it to deburr the outside of the case mouth after trimming? It seems to me this would only weaken the case mouth, as the trim itself looks really even (i.e. no burrs). What about deburring the inside of the case mouth, if the bevel doesn't seem necessary since my bullets are boat tails and they have the built in taper?

Thanks amigos,

Migs
..Unless your Forster die set is a NECK die then the body is sized also..If it is a NECK die then you only need to lube the neck.....mica or molly powder works for neck sizing or even in a full length die lube the body and dip the neck in mica/molly.....size first so the neck fits the trimmer mandrel or if your timmer doesn't use a mandrel then still the case neck will be straight...deburring does just that ...removes the burr....so it won;t scrape the jacket or coating and cause uneven pressure on the bullet....you just lightly cut the inside....I use 000 steel wool on a old bore brush to clean the inside of the case neck...just enough for felt resistance going in and out of neck......hth...enjoy the process..good luck and good shooting-loading!!

I don't know if you can get Imperial Sizing Die Wax in Bolivia, but it's about the least messy way to lube cases if you don't mind getting a little wax on your fingers that is. It has lanolin in it I think, and straight lanolin might work too. It should be available just about anywhere from a pharmacist I'd think. When I first started loading I used a lube pad, but it seemed that it got dirty quickly, which got the cases dirty, which offended my delicate sensibilities. :eek:

If you can get the Imperial all that's needed is to wipe a little onto the thumb and forefinger then give the case a twist between the thumb and forefinger. It's amazing stuff and a little bit works like a charm. If you apply a little on a bore mop of the proper size it works well for lubing the insides of the case necks too so that they slip over the expander very easily.

I wouldn't think you'd need to trim after every shot either. even with boattails you need to debur the inside as the boattail don't have anything to do with the side of the bullet where the case digs into it. I also recommend lubing the inside of the mouth in addition to what these other fine gentlemen told you. mix hydrous lanolin with vaseline (both available at the drug store) for lubing and use it like they said with the imperial. I use a q-tip for the inside mouth. be sure to clean the carbon off the case before you run it into the die as well. all this confusion should get you well on your way. do you shoot benchrest in bolivia?

Hi friends:

To answer all of you, yes we do have Benchrest in Bolivia and in very many "states" of the country. Ours just started 2 yrs ago.

I can order stuff from the states, just not components like powder and primers and such, since after 9/11 it all became impossible. We do get some components from the Army here, which kindly sells them to the sporting associations. (though at a much higher price).

A couple things Im not clear on are how to clean the inside of the case mouth. (Just a dry brush?) and whether or not to lube the whole case.

Since the RCBS trimmer can trim while the case rotates, I use a polishing wad at the same time to shine up the case. This cleans in one step. If the case has an OK length then it doesn't get trimmed automatically.

Again, can you all go into detail about the "why" of chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth?

Thanks amigos! -Migs

I use a wore out bronze bore brush on a handle to clean the inside of the case mouths. just lube like we said- put a small amount on your thumb and first finger and twist the case inbetween your fingers. remember one little swipe will do 4 or 5 cases. good luck on getting benchrest started there. how many folks do you have that want to shoot?

I bought a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from Harbor Freight cost $65.00 on sale. I use unsweetened lemon Kool-aid mixed 1pkg to 1 quart of water as cleaning agent. I put cases in small plastic container that is taller than the brass is standing up, with enough pieces only to keep them from falling over and set it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I fill the cleaner around the container with water. I then fill the plastic brass container with the Kool-aid mix over the top of the brass so as to fill the brass . I have to run the machine 3 cycles. Brass inside and out looks great, almost like new. Rinse well. You can reclaim the agent several times.I was shown this by one of our local BR shooters, then bought the cleaner,

Shiny cases ...

are made shiny before they're reloaded. However, I personally know of no one in benchrest that cares about shining cases. Simple cleaning? Yes. Shining? No. Having said that, our friends over at 6mmBR.com did a nice article on the subject of Ultrasonic cleaning that also leaves cases shiny. You can read about it here: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html Art

Hi Dusty:

Thanks for the info. I trust you refer to only lubricating the neck and shoulder of the cartridge right?

As for our shooters, we have about 20 in my city and about 60 in the country overall.

Migs

actually I lubricate the whole case but it's veery thin. I use bushing type dies so the neck gets a little less than the rest.

To lube cases, I use a spray lube from Midway. I clean my cases in a tumbler, using ground corn cob. If I use range brass, I first soak it overnight in a solution containing 1 tablespoon of citric acid in 1 quart (or Liter) of water. You can buy citric acid at any drugstore. Hope that helps you clean.

Migs, the best advice I received about lubing the case is to quit using RCBS lube and start using Imperial Wax... it is so much better and dont cause rust on dies (as the RCBS lube is water based) on my very hot and umid weather...

On the inside deburr, I use a VLD tool debur by Sinclair and since then I never ever had problems with Flat Base bullets jackets get "cut" by burrs of the case mouth. As the outside, I noted that sometimes the RCBS trimmer cause external burrs, easily feel using your finger.

I started using cirurgical latex gloves too when reloading. Not because spots on the case, but because contamination with the products we use (primers, cast bullets, solvents etc). I have a 7 months soon and I try to be careful... And when I finish reloading my hands are clean.

Are you attending the International Benchrest Matches promoved by Argentina and Chile?

Migs, the best advice I received about lubing the case is to quit using RCBS lube and start using Imperial Wax... it is so much better and dont cause rust on dies (as the RCBS lube is water based) on my very hot and umid weather...

On the inside deburr, I use a VLD tool debur by Sinclair and since then I never ever had problems with Flat Base bullets jackets get "cut" by burrs of the case mouth. As the outside, I noted that sometimes the RCBS trimmer cause external burrs, easily feel using your finger.

I started using cirurgical latex gloves too when reloading. Not because spots on the case, but because contamination with the products we use (primers, cast bullets, solvents etc). I have a 7 months soon and I try to be careful... And when I finish reloading my hands are clean.

Are you attending the International Benchrest Matches promoved by Argentina and Chile?

This is a very old thread but I found it again. It was fun re-reading it. Benchrest is alive and well in Bolivia. Some of our shooters went last year to compete in Argentina (Tiro Federal) and one actually won! Our gear and ability has much improved in the decade since this post was written. Benchrest has grown. After IPSC, Benchrest has the most following. I think it's because you don't need to be so fit to do it and also because a large part of it is the joy and detail of reloading. Some shooters have bought stocks and rests from varidecicognani.it If you haven't seen their gear it's amazing! Also quite expensive. I shoot 6PPC as do most. Some shoot 6BR. In the hunter classes there is more variety. We also have a military class that is open sighted and very popular because it doesn't require that much investment and 7.62x51 as well as Mauser ammo is available. We have made cast concrete benchtops for our range. Most ranges here are 100 and 200 meter. Some, located in military bases have longer distances. I'd like to see precision long range shooting begin, but I'm quite happy with Bench. I'd love to visit a US match. I've competed in some IPSC matches but a Bench match would be a treat. - Oh well enough of that storytelling.

As always - thanks - and warmest regards from the southern hemisphere.
-Migs

Back