Shot at fifty today

DanB

After work today the kid and I did some fifty yard benchrest, (actually just laying on the floor shooting prone). We used the WRABF 50M target. The wind was really blowing and I didn't know if we could keep them on the paper. The kid shot his marauder with LW .177 barrel and CPHs, I used the dependence @20fpe and ev2. The kid shot a 217 5x while I shot a 229 4x with the dependence and the ev2 did a 228 3x.
What a difference from 25m to 50y, it's a very different game. I was amazed how well the ev2 did at that range considering the 2 inch allowance on many shots. I suspect the advantage of guns shooting 35fpe will not be that much better than a good 20fpe gun at fifty.
Dan

Dan,

Interesting test, thank you for sharing the results. Your wind reading skills are amazing! Were you using the new flags you designed at the time? Your son sounds like he's gonna beat our butts soon too:)

What does this test tell us about our new "Open" class rules?

I think it tells us that we hold tight to the weight limits of the HV B guns and 30fpe is plenty. ... surprise, surprise:).. no one would think I would take that position:)

It also tells me that very talented shooters like Dan, would be interested in shooting the Open class with rigs they have now. That has to be the best way to introduce the class... not with rules that encourage shooters to build guns that belong in their own class.

Let the Unlimited class guns play by themselves. Again, most shooters, have turned down their HV rigs from around 30fpe... It's only natural that very large percentage of our existing HV shooters would want to play in an open class by adjusting back up their rigs. To play in Unlimited class, they have to buy, borrow or build a new rig. That rig will be very different from the one they will shoot Open and HV class with. That is how it is now. Creating an open class where the unlimited guns shoot both will leave out the existing HV shooters to a large extent... IMHO. I know this belongs in the other thread, but I said it there as well.

Wayne Burns

Dan,

Great shooting. I shot briefly at 50 yards earlier this year but I was near 30 FPE with 15.9 grain pellets. Slight difference in scores, still very humbling. The 18.1 grain pellets at 875 FPS come in at 32 FPE, like tossing pumpkins in comparison.

Dan,

Interesting test, thank you for sharing the results. Your wind reading skills are amazing! Were you using the new flags you designed at the time? Your son sounds like he's gonna beat our butts soon too:)

What does this test tell us about our new "Open" class rules?

I think it tells us that we hold tight to the weight limits of the HV B guns and 30fpe is plenty. ... surprise, surprise:).. no one would think I would take that position:)

It also tells me that very talented shooters like Dan, would be interested in shooting the Open class with rigs they have now. That has to be the best way to introduce the class... not with rules that encourage shooters to build guns that belong in their own class.

Let the Unlimited class guns play by themselves. Again, most shooters, have turned down their HV rigs from around 30fpe... It's only natural that very large percentage of our existing HV shooters would want to play in an open class by adjusting back up their rigs. To play in Unlimited class, they have to buy, borrow or build a new rig. That rig will be very different from the one they will shoot Open and HV class with. That is how it is now. Creating an open class where the unlimited guns shoot both will leave out the existing HV shooters to a large extent... IMHO. I know this belongs in the other thread, but I said it there as well.

Wayne Burns

Thanks Wayne. I used my lightweight 2D wind flags.
2d_flag.jpg

The kid has his moments, he does real well at field target. Our winter project is to fit a regulator to his marauder and get the hammer bounce under control.
Dan

Kevin,

There are very different opinions on that subject.

Some shoot .22 caliber in the HV class and are very happy with the 20 FPE limit. They also want to maintain a strong connection to the international classes and rules so we can continue to compete with the rest of the world.

Some want to shoot higher power rifles with the option of shooting at 50 yards. They see this new rifle class as an extension to HV, so we have proposed a 35 FPE limit. To continue with international scoring rules, the .25 caliber is proposed to be excluded from this new class.

Others want to try .25 caliber. A second new class has been proposed for this group of shooters. The essential points are no power limit, no weight limit, scoring with a .25 caliber plug and the option of shooting at 50 yards. The only exclusion would be tethered tanks.

Back