Shooting a Rimfire Sporter from a Bipod?

cznut

Thought this would be the place to ask ,can a bipod be used to shoot a 22 sporter accurately from the bench,I am not shooting competition,I have read other places that one should use some sort of slick surface to sit the bipod on when using one from a bench with a 22 and I have seen them used in matches back in the day,I have a good bunny ear bag for the rear,any help appreciated

Sure it can be used. As for "accurately", it all depends on your acceptable level of accuracy. By our standards here, the answer is no.

None of the major sanctioning bodies shoot for "group". They shoot for score, which necessitates the ability to move from one bull to another quickly and precisely. That's why the rests used are so sophisticated.

I plan on testing this theory in a few days. I don't have my new sporter yet but, I am going to use a fairly accurate CZ to see how well I can do. I know that some folks advocate for bipods being just as accurate as a rest but, owning a Fulghum, I can tell you that they would be hard to beat!

You’ll give up very little or none in accuracy with the use of a bipod shooting group, but they do require more attention to detail shooting for score because of the many movements from bull to bull while trying to maintain a consistent repeatable management of recoil and shot release.

Shooting the bipod off a slick surface will allow the rifle’s initial recoil movement to more easily overcome the static friction of objects at rest (where the bipod’s legs contact the bench).

Landy

I don't know if they can shoot 1/2" groups or not. 1/2" groups would not be considered accurate for benchrest.
I am not shooting competition....I am shooting groups with a factory sporter weight rifle,hopefully edgerat will post his results on how his CZ does,or let me know here

I do a fair amount of shooting a lot of small caliber CF rifles from a bopod/bag setup and you can shoot some surprisingly tight groups. The Calfee XP100's shoot from them.

Alright, I shot a box from a bipod this weekend. I sold all of my BR equipment so, I had to use an improvised rear rest that is not too disimilar from what I would use in a tactical centerfire competition. I shot groups on an ARA card and couldn't garner any quantifiable evidence because my CZ is such a POS, it really can't be relied upon to put anymore than two bullets where they are supposed to go. Given a solid rear rest like a protektor bag, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this with a good gun. I have a LOT of time shooting off of training wheels(bipod) and consider myself fairly decent with the sticks. I would two shots or three shots to bughole and then one would flip it's way a quarter of an inch off. In watching my reticle I am confident that it was the gun and not me(how could it be me??? hehehe). So, if you have a gun that is consistently printing 5shots into the .1's (minus the bullet diameter) off of a bipod, I think you could do just fine with it. I do not prescribe to the idea of having the bipod on something slick so that it recoils freely, I have never shot a gun off of a bipod in a free recoil situation, I just think it is mechanically poor to do so. I pre-load my bipod by applying forward pressure to the legs, pre-load the trigger and break the shot when the wind and my heartbeat presents the right sight picture. I would like to say this "test" was fun but, it was more frustrating than anything. Having a gun that you don't have any confidence in sucks.
Isaac

Some of the competitors in our Tuesday morning shoots do very well with their bipods. I on the other hand have not mastered the technique and stick to the Caldwell Rock with a "bunny" bag on the rear as a relatively inexpensive setup. I am able to produce sub 1/4" - 5 shot groups at 50 yds with my re-stocked and bedded CZ Trainer using Center-X often enough to have confidence in the rifle/ammo combination.

I have trouble holding the rifle firmly enough with the bipod to shoot consistent groups.

Last edited:
Back