Shooters THAT SHOT the IBS National's in Holton, Michigan

R.Rains

Born to be FREE!!!
First let me start by saying what a First Class Operation this is, and I really feel sorry for those that could not attend!!!!!

The food was handled by a gentleman named Dennis Cooper (Savage Hog BBQ). He wheeled in his 20+ foot smokehouse and we had Smoked Pork Loin, Smoked Sirloin, Smoked Burgers, Pulled Pork, homemade italian sausages, homemade macaroni and cheese to die for etc. A dinner was put on shortly after the Powderpuff. AWESOME- ask anyone who attended!!!!!!

Bob & Nancy Scarborough and crew ran a flawless match and we really need to thank these people, as this is what keeps us shooters returning again and again (repeat customer).

Holton Bow & Gun Club, I would like to say thank you for running such a pristine facility, from the bathrooms, kitchen, scoring shack and centrally locating the wailing wall for all the shooters to pay attention to (Cry or Smile) at their targets.

George Kelbly Jr., thanks for doing such a fine job on scoring the targets and Thank You to Stacy Hynes for multitasking all the things that we threw at you.

Holton Team and Crew Thank You All Very Much for such a fine match that you ran.

Last edited:
IBS Nats

I, also, would like to thank all involved with putting on the match at Holton last week. Good facility, well run match, great folks. Had a great time. Thanks again!

First let me start by saying what a First Class Operation this is, and I really feel sorry for those that could not attend!!!!!

The food was handled by a gentleman named Dennis Cooper (Savage Hog BBQ). He wheeled in his 20+ foot smokehouse and we had Smoked Pork Loin, Smoked Sirloin, Smoked Burgers, Pulled Pork, homemade italian sausages, homemade macaroni and cheese to die for etc. A dinner was put on shortly after the Powderpuff. AWESOME- ask anyone who attended!!!!!!

Bob & Nancy Scarborough and crew ran a flawless match and we really need to thank these people, as this is what keeps us shooters returning again and again (repeat customer).

Holton Bow & Gun Club, I would like to say thank you for running such a pristine facility, from the bathrooms, kitchen, scoring shack and centrally locating the wailing wall for all the shooters to pay attention to (Cry or Smile) at their targets.

George Kelbly Jr., thanks for doing such a fine job on scoring the targets and Thank You to Stacy Hynes for multitasking all the things that we threw at you.

Holton Team and Crew Thank You All Very Much for such a fine match that you ran.

I couldn’t agree more. Leave the format alone.

Thanks to the whole crew at Holton excellent job!

Guys I have read

A few times on this thread re the format, you may have some false information or misinterpreted things.

There is another thread on this topic which I believe pertains more to a different sanctioning body and possibly reasons why there should be a format change.

Dont muddy this thread up. JMO

Calvin

times

Agreed, thanks to the Holton Gun and Bow Club for hosting a well run match. A special THANKS to the crew and everyone concerned with making this a fun and enjoyable shoot. I hope to see this shoot continue for many years, God willing and the devil don't get me to soon.

Dan Honert

You’re right, Cy. It’s NBRSA and IBS. What I would have could have said was that people will find an excuse for not attending a function as it relates to them. Where as, Someone else who wants to attend a match will find a way to go come hell or high water.
Right, Dan?

Always a challenging and great place to compete , thanks to the Holton gun club for hosting and thanks to Nancy , Bob and all the volunteers for making it a great week.

Hugh Williamson

A few times on this thread re the format, you may have some false information or misinterpreted things.

There is another thread on this topic which I believe pertains more to a different sanctioning body and possibly reasons why there should be a format change.

Dont muddy this thread up. JMO

Calvin

times

The other post which has been removed asked about the lack of shooters at the IBS nationals, leave it as it is there will just be less and less attending seems neither organization seems to care. And if its brought up and a question is asked everyone gets upset .so best to leave it alone I will watch in disbelief

The other post which has been removed asked about the lack of shooters at the IBS nationals, leave it as it is there will just be less and less attending seems neither organization seems to care. And if its brought up and a question is asked everyone gets upset .so best to leave it alone I will watch in disbelief

The last IBS Nationals I was able to attend was in Canastota NY back in the early 2000's. If I remember, there were around 130 Unlimited Shooters and around 180 in the other three classes.

The "other thread" mentioned the IBS only as a reference to the lower turnout at this years Nationals, speculating that the same thing might happen at the NBRSA Nationals at Phoenix.

The question asked was......"why"? And if someone can pin point why, offer solutions.

Last edited:
Short range Benchrest shooting is a slowly dying discipline. Some local ranges find a niche and do well. National events are a major undertaking for the casual shooter. Maybe the long range is holding up better. Young shooters have a lot of choices in the shooting sports. Takes some serious dedication to win anything. At least in Fclass you can obtain a High Master rating without winning. Ain’t much but it’s something. I take my pleasure now traveling to different ranges to shoot. Ain’t nothing going to get better in this crazy world. Find a way to be happy with your family and friends. The last guy out locks the gate

Were you there? If not, why, alphabet person? We were having a discussion about a well run match. If you think low attendance makes it easy to win where were you? And btw, the organizations most likely do care. Do you belong to both? Do you actually shoot?

Dave

Last edited:
Short range Benchrest shooting is a slowly dying discipline. Some local ranges find a niche and do well. National events are a major undertaking for the casual shooter. Maybe the long range is holding up better. Young shooters have a lot of choices in the shooting sports. Takes some serious dedication to win anything. At least in Fclass you can obtain a High Master rating without winning. Ain’t much but it’s something. I take my pleasure now traveling to different ranges to shoot. Ain’t nothing going to get better in this crazy world. Find a way to be happy with your family and friends. The last guy out locks the gate

Right. Love it or leave it. There's lots of family things to do. You'd better take the time, it goes fast. Face it, there is no solution to low turnouts, well that is, if you want to give everyone a ribbon.

Dave

Last edited:
.....Ain’t nothing going to get better in this crazy world. . . . . . . . . .

What does this MEAN???

You obviously think MAGA is a fraud....

I've only been in this crazy world 58yrs but LOT'S of stuff has got better!

Lots.

And LOTS is getting better right now as we speak. If you'd have told me "by 2010 folks will be hunting with silencers" I'd have scoffed..... I was more prone to scoffing then. . . . . . Now I do something about it.

And as far as attendance, yeahh shooting on a national level is a big commitment. I'm a poor kid, born and raised poor..... been making good money now though, for some time and have spent the last 30yrs preparing to get out and shoot with the Big Boys.... to me it's like a chance to "golf with Tiger Woods" (if golfing interested me as much as, say, chewing glass)....

Now Holton is a long way from WA so I misdoubt I'll get there soon, but please, let's not wish short-range BR into it's grave just yet eh?? :)

Gfpd

It appears I read it wrong. So I will step up and admit I thought the initial was about the NBRSA.

My apologies to everyone.

As much as I hate to say it I personally feel short range is dying. The younger generation is all about action. Run and gun. Engage targets as if they were in the video games that they grew up playing. Those shooting sports are a lot cheaper to the shooter. The rifle has to be accurate to a certain point to engage a target. JMO.

I have also heard you guys are to OCD for me. When you think of it there is some OCD to play short range. In this game everything has to be the best.

I have also heard FClass is in all honestly in its infant stages. More and more are gravitating to it. Guys want to be a form of sniper like we read or hear about in the news. So and so from this division has made the longest kill.....lol

Not sure what the answer is? We all have ideas but unless the masses want to play this sport....you have to want to.

Again JMO

And BTW that there post about smoked pork and smoked sirloin and smoked burgers and home-aid Mac-n-Cheese had me slobberin...... 3 days one way looks WORTH IT to this Lefterner! Holey SMOKES.....

And BTW that there post about smoked pork and smoked sirloin and smoked burgers and home-aid Mac-n-Cheese had me slobberin...... 3 days one way looks WORTH IT to this Lefterner! Holey SMOKES.....

OH, YEA!
Hope it's there next year!

Definitely first class

but then all matches Nancy runs that I have attended have been. Big thanks to Nancy, Bob, Bruce and the entire Holton crew. George Jr and Stacy were rolling targets and stats. This is so helpful as far as tuning on the fly and trying to keep these guns on the edge where they work the best....

Again Thx to all

Wayne

Last edited:
Back