Shipping Firearms via FEDEX

I took one [a barreled action and unfinished stock] to ship today and their system had crashed. While waiting for it to come back up we had a little banter about FEDEX never asking what was in the packages. After it got back up she was entering stuff and asked me what was in it. I replied firearm parts. I had a labelled to an individual, but he was in their system as John Smif gunsmithing. Then she said the only allow shipping from dealer to dealer which was news to me. Anyone else hear that? She finally took it and didn't require overnight. I wonder if they made any changes since the Parkland incident. IIRC the head honcho is one of the NRAs biggest supporters.

Based on my experience, they require overnight air for handguns, but not for long guns. I've usually found the USPS to be a better choice for long guns and "firearm parts."

Apparently you found yourself talking to an employee who didn't know what she was talking about.

Some desk clerks imagine themselves to be ATF agents, protecting the population from evil guns. NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE SHIPPING GUN PARTS. the long skinny package is a control arm for a 89 Buick. Or you can demand to talk to a supervisor if you have time to kill.

machined parts and or assembly- problem solved. I have parts around here that make one of those fancy 5 figure shotguns look cheap and weigh less than a pound.

Last edited:
Some desk clerks imagine themselves to be ATF agents, protecting the population from evil guns. NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE SHIPPING GUN PARTS. the long skinny package is a control arm for a 89 Buick. Or you can demand to talk to a supervisor if you have time to kill.

When shipping to a gunsmith it's kind of hard to hide what's in the box, altho I suppose they drive cars too. I addressed/shipped to a person, but it turns out he has a FEDEX account with gunsmithing as part of the name.

When shipping to a gunsmith it's kind of hard to hide what's in the box, altho I suppose they drive cars too. I addressed/shipped to a person, but it turns out he has a FEDEX account with gunsmithing as part of the name.

For the most part I have always put handguns in a larger box (like a 'book box' that is a about 24 x 18 x 16 inches).

The increase in weight is pretty nominal but it no longer has the small size and weight of a handgun.

A couple years ago I stopped in a post office in a small town near here because it was convenient that day. The woman behind the counter said: what is it? I replied that it was a rifle....

Her: the post office doesn't ship firearms.

Me: yes, you do

Her: no, we don't

Me: I want to speak to the Postmaster.

Her: I'm the Postmistress.

Me: then you know you ship firearms....

End of discussion....she shipped the rifle.

Not all supervisors are created equal.

Based on my experience, they require overnight air for handguns, but not for long guns. I've usually found the USPS to be a better choice for long guns and "firearm parts."

Apparently you found yourself talking to an employee who didn't know what she was talking about.

My 21+ pound package cost $59 to ship via FEDEX. The USPS would have been unaffordable or a lot more. The recipient doesn't have a mailbox at his street addy so it would have to have gone to his PO Box. Technically you are supposed to declare that the package contains a firearm tho the FEDEX clerk didn't chastise me for not doing it. I admit I was unaware of that requirement.
Have not shipped firearms in quite some time but a local dealer advised to use FEDEX over UPS.

A cursory search of the net didn't bring up any references to recent changes of FEDEX policy regarding shipping firearms.

Don't know why anyone would choose to ship a long gun by FedEx over the USPS. Never paid that much and usually insure for the actual value. They don't ask what's in the box and don't care where it's going. Even better, the PO is a 5 minute drive and FedEx is a half hour, but that's just me. Maybe someone else has a different situation.

Rick

I don't ship many firearm related packages but USPS has nearly always been my option, too, Rick.

I shipped a barreled action, unfinished stock, trigger guard, magazine and guard screws insured for $1500 inside of a gun case with the case going into the [taped over] box it came in 30 years ago for $59. What would the USPS charge for that?
Also the box is about 4 x 12 x 52. The stocker is going to have to ship it back in something too.

Attachments

• elecbluestockraw.jpg
    elecbluestockraw.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 271
  • elecbluestockraw2.jpg
    elecbluestockraw2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 209
I shipped a barreled action, unfinished stock, trigger guard, magazine and guard screws insured for $1500 inside of a gun case with the case going into the [taped over] box it came in 30 years ago for $59. What would the USPS charge for that?
Also the box is about 4 x 12 x 52. The stocker is going to have to ship it back in something too.

It depends on the weight, amount insured for location and destination. I ship long guns a few times per year. The last one was in that insured range and the cost was similar or maybe a little less IIRC. I use ULINE boxes designed to slip one inside the other. They are very strong and I've never had damage. I much prefer them to shipping in hard gun cases as there is no indication that there is a firearm inside.

Rick

to the ATF site regarding shipping by a nonlicensee to a licensed person or entity. Note the comment about not ID on the outside of the package that its a firearm!

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Lots of good advice about what to tell a clerk who is nosy about package contents. Just follow it.

Generally unlike UPS people, FEDEX folks don't ask what's in the box. When their system shows that it's going to a gunsmith then of course they are going to ask and per their rules you are supposed to declare a firearm whether they ask or not. Any indications that the box once contained a gun case were covered over with brown tape long ago. I suppose somewhere along the line, someone can still figure it out.

machine parts.

Rick

Wait until you ever need to make an insurance claim.
They will not pay.

BATFE also says you must declare to the shipper.
Let alone violating the "contract of carriage" you agreed to when you signed the shipper form (but never read).

Back