Shilen Octagon

The first thing I noticed is that this barrel is not as ammo sensitive as other barrels that I have had but at the same time I put this barrel on, I changed my tuning method using the Von Ahren's type system. The other thing I noticed is that it is not as wind sensitive as other barrels. I've let Darrel Barnes and Richard Gorham shoot it and they have noticed the same thing. However I can't say if those effects were due to better tuning or the type of rifling. As for cleaning, I was specifically instructed NOT to run a brush down the length of the barrel which was not a change in my regular cleaning routine. Between targets I will stroke the chamber a few times with either bronze wool or a bronze impregnated cleaning felt followed by a regular cleaning felt soaked with solvent down the entire length of the barrel.

I know that this type of rifling is used by David Tubb in his highpower match rifles, so this has some interesting possiblities for rimfire.

No this is the type of rifling used by Schneider in his barrels. McMillan uses Schneider barrels when they build the T2K. David gets alot of credit for things that he does not do.
Benny please forgive me Im not picking on you, just the way the sentence was composed.

John

Ken, theres one way to find out, mark the tuner at the current setting then pull it off and see if you get the same results.

No this is the type of rifling used by Schneider in his barrels. McMillan uses Schneider barrels when they build the T2K. David gets alot of credit for things that he does not do.
Benny please forgive me Im not picking on you, just the way the sentence was composed.

John

You are abosolutely correct....I should have phrased that sentence differently. Tubb does not make the barrels...it is Gary Schneider. I was just thinking about the T2000, which has had some success.

But the polygon concept still has alot of merit.

I was wondering how many lands the Shilen barrel has versus a "standard" barrel, even though "standard" is not a good term with different twist rates and number of lands.

My other thought was with the polygon cross section, the lands might comprise of a greater cross sectional area versus a standard land. With that said, in order to prevent excessive swaging of the bullet (for lack of a better term), something needs to change...either the number of lands, or their overall height.

Then again, an engineer with an idle mind can be a dangerous thing....

Ed Shilen also calls it the "stop sign" barrel, octagonal, meaning 8 sides.

Back