Shilen bullets any good?

B

Burras

I bought some bullets from shilen and now I wonder if they are any good compared to manufacturers like bart, euber and the like? As I understand it they make jackets of their own?

Searched the forum but could not find any of value.

Thanks for the input!

They do not use jackets that they make. I believe they are using Sierra jackets. Tenring, have you actually shot them?
Butch

Butch - I tried them in two PPC's. They were both expensive and non performing. Gave up on them years ago. Anyone else try them?

I tried them...

I tried them about ten years ago, but soon changed to better performing bullet. Since then, they may be better....don't know. I think that Ridings made them for Shilen back then. Good shooting...James

I bought some .224 and 6mm about a year ago and they worked ok, but my rifles did better with other bullets...

From Shilen's website:

Before we began making our own jackets, Shilen, like any other custom bulletmaker, obtained jackets from the usual sources. Problem is, production jackets often exhibit thickness variations of a disastrous .0005" to .0008". In contrast, Shilen MicroJackets are held to .0003" maximum variations, with an average uniformity of .0001" to .0002". Why is this important? Thick and thin areas in a jacket cause bullet imbalance, much like an out-of-balance tire. The bottom line is this: making our own jackets has finally given us total quality control over every aspect of the bulletmaking process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave a friend a sealed, new box to take to S.D. to Prarrie Dog with, the other box I use for blowing out ppc cases.

I bought some bullets from shilen and now I wonder if they are any good compared to manufacturers like bart, euber and the like?

Your question cannot be answered until YOU shoot these bullets in YOUR rifle(s). :cool:

Butch
I don't use there barrels,triggers or bullets and try my best to stay away from all things in Texas.In this case I will deviate and drop them an e-mail.
Lynn

It is a good thing you don't shoot rimfire, Shilen barrels are the best rimfire barrels out there now. Even your buddy, Bill Calfee is using them. We are even, I don't buy anything from CA.

Shillen Bullets

Mr. Shilen shot ARA with us at Texarkana Gun Club today. I inquired about the jackets. They do not make jackets.
Floyd

Like GM

Many manufacturers, job out parts for their finished product. A Shilen Bullet is still a Shilen bullet, regardless of who made the jacket.

Back