Sheared pressure ring?

As I understand it, Sierra passes its bullets through an additional die that irons out the pressure ring. They do this to make there bullets function better in automatic loading machines. This information was from a long time back, so you might want to ask them if it is still the case. Using my .0001 micrometer, I always check bullets' dimensions including any pressure ring, which gets tricky, but I have learned how to measure them without flattening.

He was using old bullets, not recent manufacture.

Shaving bullet when seating & crimping at the same time.

Standard seating die, that can crimp while seating.

A ring of lead can be shaved from a 45 acp cast bullet when seating and crimping at the same time, if there is a die problem.

On rifle, move the die up so case mouth is not hitting the crimp ring in the seat die. If using this die type??

Last edited:
Standard seating die, that can crimp while seating.

A ring of lead can be shaved from a 45 acp cast bullet when seating and crimping at the same time, if there is a die problem.

On rifle, move the die up so case mouth is not hitting the crimp ring in the seat die. If using this die type??

I use a sliding chamber type seater. No shaving is occurring that I can tell. Actually, the seating die was cut with the same chambering reamer.

Back