seeking some advise on a new rifle purchase.....

matchman

My local club has a center fire factory BR match (no custom nothing) no weight limit. This is for score 1 shot per ground hog target 100_200yds.

I'm considering a Remington .223 700 5r. Only because it seams to have one of the better barrels on an OEM varmint rifle.
Good choose ? Better options ? Is .308 win a better option ?
Thanks for your thoughts/opnion.

I would go with the .223 ....most shoot more accurately with a light recoiling rifle.
I don't believe Sako has chambered the 6 PPC for a number of years ....and when they were produced, very few were made.

I guiess this "is" the ideal rifle : Model 12 Benchrest in 6BR ( Duel port/single shot)
Price is kinda beyond my $1k mark and I need to order it (wait time)

That leaves me with a repeater in Savage heavy 12 series or a Remington 700 repeater.
Caliber ? .223 / .22-250 / .308 seam to be typical options.

Honestly Savages feal Klunky to me . Remington's feal like a better built product. But the target tells all so its still a consideration.

So am I better off with something like a Savage 12 BVSS or a Remington 700 thinking 700 R5 (or Police) ?
.223 //22-250//.308 ?

Last edited:
It depends on the club rules. You might get a good Remington, but it's a crap shoot. You would be just as likely to get a dog. The Savage 6BR is a better gamble, but it's no slam dunk either ( I speak from experience). The Sako 6PPC, while a good choice, are as rare as hen's teeth and spendy when you find one. If the rules allow, the best gamble might be a Cooper in 6BR or maybe 6 or 22 PPC. Of course, your budget might have something to say as well.

Rick

Rules : Factory class: Any production rifle in its original stock with original barrel and action. Any caliber within range rules is lega.No flat bottom benchrest stocks are allowed.Guns that do not qualify in this class are 40X, Cooper, Kimber and other limited production, semi-custom guns.

Last edited:
My local club has a center fire factory BR match (no custom nothing) no weight limit. This is for score 1 shot per ground hog target 100_200yds. I'm considering a Remington .223 700 5r. Only because it seams to have one of the better barrels on an OEM varmint rifle. Good choice ? Better options ? Is .308 win a better option ? Thanks for your thoughts/opinion.

I wouldn't purchase anything right now. Wait a couple of years until there's ammunition on the shelf. Then make a decision based on what's readily available. You can't shoot a rifle, regardless of caliber, without ammo! :(

I wouldn't purchase anything right now. Wait a couple of years until there's ammunition on the shelf. Then make a decision based on what's readily available. You can't shoot a rifle, regardless of caliber, without ammo! :(

Who says I have no amo componets.:rolleyes:

Remington 700

I'm a big fan of the Rem 700. I owned two Remington 700 PSS Rifles. One in .223 and one in .308. Shot VFS(Score) with the .308. Bought a PAST shoulder pad to tame the recoil. The .308 was more accurate with factory ammo,but the recoil is noticeable even with the the recoil pad. The .223 was a pleasure to shoot,but It gave up a little accuracy to the .308. Based on my experience.

Glenn

Sako L461 in 222. Second most accurate factory rifle ever built...with great barrel life. If you're going to drop a wad for a factory rifle, get one that'll last.

I'm a big fan of the Rem 700. I owned two Remington 700 PSS Rifles. One in .223 and one in .308. Shot VFS(Score) with the .308. Bought a PAST shoulder pad to tame the recoil. The .308 was more accurate with factory ammo,but the recoil is noticeable even with the the recoil pad. The .223 was a pleasure to shoot,but It gave up a little accuracy to the .308. Based on my experience.

Glenn

Thats is what I suspected .223 vs .308.
Im thinking my wallet will be empty before recoil becomes an issue with .308.

The Sako L461 has not been is stock for years for my dealer to order.

Last edited:
I guess I'm doing what I usually do .......selecting and limiting my self to the wrong choises
Thanks for the great input !
Adam

that Sako on Gunbroker is a gorgeous gun, and only $1300 for a 6ppc it's a steal..

if it were left handed I would take it...

I will submit a vote for the Sako BR single shots as the most accurate factory rifles ever produced.

Back