Seater Die Storage

Apollo

Jason Stanley
I have 1 Wilson seater die with multiple "heads" (drift assemblies). Does anyone have any ideas on how to safely organize and transport this die with multiple heads? I have some die storage boxes but not sure if I want the "heads" to be bouncing around. Thanks in advance

Stanley

Could you use a case guard and poke the stems down into the case holes, put some foam in the lid if needed.

Maybe cut out a section for your die.

Hal

Thanks Hal. Yes, the foam cut-outs is my plan - but thought I would ask in case there was something already made that might work better. Thanks for the reply. I'll see what transpires and go from there.

U-Line sells storage and mailing tubes but you need to buy a million, give or take.
The post office has mailing tubes. Cut one up.
Office supply places have tubes and you buy the ends in pairs.

U-Line sells storage and mailing tubes but you need to buy a million, give or take.
The post office has mailing tubes. Cut one up.
Office supply places have tubes and you buy the ends in pairs.

Sinclair sells some small cardboard slip fit tubes that I use to hold my Wilson dies. Maybe you could use these with separators.

It's a seater die not a heart instrument

Toss the parts into a box and move on. Get a machinest's chest and use a drawer or something for the extra parts.

I use a old pill bottle and put some foam inside on the bottom the toss it the box and take it to a match. Just so I know were it is. I agree with Mister Wilbur it just ain,t no heart instrument. Just a seater die. But I do like to protect the stem as best as I can. And the bottle holds it all together.:cool:

Wrap each item in an inexpensive washcloth [good cushioning] and placed them in an appropriate sized tight-lid food storage container, both purchased at Walmart. Keep it simple! :)

They're pretty tough. Even so, I use plastic tubes cut to length with foam in the bottom:

0710-01BLRG.jpg

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

How 'bout a wooden block with appropriate hole sizes for the heads and a cutout for the body? It'd be a 5 minute job to make in a mill, and could be as fancy or plain as you want. A piece of 2x4 on the low end, for example...or a nice piece of burled walnut could be fashioned into a case.

Back