Scopes not Holding Point if Impact

mrh1958

How do scopes that are not holding POI react....does the POI keep moving one direction or do they just move around a small area ? or something different all together. I have a 6-18 Leupold Target that is acting strange on a known good shooting rifle, when I first put the scope on about 1 1/2 years ago it did fine up until the last couple of months,same lot number ammo,etc.

Mrh1958

The question you ask is age old. Why is the shot not going where I’m aiming?
If this is a rimfire rifle the scope is mounted too, the recoil should not be severe
enough to loosen any of the internal scope parts. And as long as you haven’t dropped
the rifle and scope down the basement steps….well you know what I mean.
I have not experienced a scope that has lost point of impact with respect to
point of aim. Perhaps I’ve been lucky. What I have found is the scope mount and rings
do come loose after a year or two and require a little tightening. Other items you
might consider are the shooting / test conditions. Just a little wind will blow those POI’s
all over the place. I found that out last week. Good luck with the scope.

Bob

Just send the scope in for repair. They'll probably tell you there was nothing wrong with the scope but if there is anything wrong they'll fix it. When you get the scope back....sell it. You could sell it right now but that wouldn't be the right thing to do. The reason for selling it is that you don't trust the scope and it will always be on your mind. It may be a good scope...but sell it anyway.

scopes do go bad

Last fall I was sighting in a bench rest rifle that I hadn't fired in a year.
The point of impact was high by 1 1/2" at 12 o,clock which was odd. Usually it's with in 1/2".
I made the adjustments and zeroed the rifle. I fired a few more rounds and the point of impact moved straight up or down .
I returned the scope to Leupold and they cleaned the scope,replaced the broken erector spring, and returned the scope.
I haven't used the scope yet.

Hal

I was told that scopes can need conditioning occasionally - running the elevation full up and down & likewise the windage to avoid the spring(s) getting a set.

Must do it some time.

One might think

a 22 rimfire rifle might not have enough recoil to break a scope but one of our shooters had a Leup Comp scope break on her in a match at our place this year. Guess a spring could break at any time but I was surprised, I must say.

Pete

Back