scope sale

J

jas

I have the chance to sell a scope to a brother benchrest shooter downunder. I am not
sure how the export rules are for this transaction. Does anybody know?

Jas,

Personally, I would start by going to the post office and asking what the procedure is for sending a package to Australia. If is is like sending something sending a package to Canada, it's pretty straightforward...just takes a little more time than sending something to one of the lower 48 states. Unlike firearms, I doubt there are any special regulations for scopes. Also, consider using UPS and FED-X.

Gene

You might want to check online somewhere and see what AUSTRALIA's rules are. I once ordered two Swarovski 15x56 SLCs from a guy in Germany off Ebay or somewhere and they got hung up in US Customs in Memphis. I spent several hours on the phone with Customs and was working in a customs office at the time. I had to sign up and an importer etc. Finally it became too much and I just had to refuse the shipment. Fedex suggested I do that. I was out about $3000 by now. The seller would not refund my money. I finally had to go to Visa to get my money back but they never would refund my Fedex shipping BOTH ways!

I recently sold something to a guy in Canada. Shipping was four times what I could have shipped it for domestically. He paid with a Canadian money order in US dollars. The bank charged me a $10 fee to process it. That was my last international transaction.

They arrested a woman a couple months ago for trying to mail a scope out of the country to her brother in law. They dropped the charges a couple months later. Be careful. MAX

I have the chance to sell a scope to a brother benchrest shooter downunder. I am not
sure how the export rules are for this transaction. Does anybody know?

I can't say that I know for sure but I would not take a chance on it. Here is link to OpticsPlanet's policy and they will not ship an "optical sighting device" without proper export paperwork. But, better yet go to Google and type in "exporting a rifle scope" and you will see some horror stories there about exporting scopes without the proper paperwork/permits.

Some things just aren't worth the potential trouble you could have as a result of doing it.

drover

Back