Scope Power

The best would be a rich friend with all the new toys so that you could try stuff out .
Then make up your mind.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone like that. It would make things easier. If sporting goods places still sold guns, ammo and scopes like they once did I'd just go there. Not many places like that around here anymore. My LGS doesn't even sell scopes and very little in the area of reloading components. I don't know what's the story with all that.

I don't think I'd like the dot. some form of cross hairs is more my style and experience with. The duplex reticule was always a favorite but not offered by many on a fixed high powered scope. It's usually a mil dot, varmint reticule or some other dot form along with the fine cross hair.

Yep, have to google wind flags to see where it leads me.

Before making a purchase, I encourage you attend a BR match - even a club match - as a spectator. Ask questions. Walk around and look at the equipment being used. Like yourself, I have never heard of windflags. Cut my groups in half with one weekend of training.

Even of you have to drive a couple of hours, it will be money well spent in the long run. Luck, Tim

Interesting thread. On October 3 (thanks BR Central for remembering my birthday), I bought a Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 VX3 LR target scope. My load in .308 is Sierra 168 MK on top of 43.5 grains of TAC. Took it to the range this morning. Once sighted in at 200 yards, the 300, 400, and 500 yard graduations are correct. Great clairity on a cloudy day in Calgary. Not sure if this meets your needs, but it is a great scope.
David M.

The problem with the dot is choosing the right size for the scope power and intended target. I don't know. I think I'd feel better with some form of cross hair over the dot. I'd like to compare them but have no way of dong that. Time was sporting goods stores stocked scopes. I don't recall the last scope I saw around here.

I don't think Leopold makes a bad scope whether the 6.5 x 20X or another but they can get exorbitant in their prices. Nothing like a March, mind you.

I went for the Weaver T-36 and it came today and is a real honey. With the 4" sunshade it must be about 22" long. I found out real quick you can't hand hold a 36X scope and focus/locate anything! Cross hairs bounce around like a BB in a barrel. This may take some getting use to. On the rifle and a rest I'm sure it will be much different.

since you mentioned his eyes...when was the last time you had your stool checked??
just one more thing to think about.

My eyes are pretty good and corrected with glasses to 20/20. Far off I see pretty decent and don't even use glasses for the computer. I can't see a woodpecker's knees at 100 yards like I could in my 20's but I do alright.

I got the scope mounted today and it looks good. I used the Wheeler Reticule Leveling System and their torque screwdriver as to not over tighten the Leopold one piece mount/rings. The eye relief is right on so all that's left is finding the powder I want this weekend at the gun show and I'll be set. Surprisingly enough, the rings needed no lapping and all was level top to bottom and left/right.

T-36 Weaver

I have said many times and I will say it again the T-36 Weaver is your best bang for your buck in a target scope. As to 36x you will love it if you are really shooting targets. Just don't look through a 42 or a 50x as you will find you want more than just 36x.
Dick

Maybe my eyes are different or have gotten too old or something but, I can't see good through the Weaver. For one thing it's just too much power. No way I'd want anything more powerful. Fine cross hairs dancing around and the eye relief is very critical. It's not near as clear as my Leopold M8-16x.

Maybe my eyes are different or have gotten too old or something but, I can't see good through the Weaver. For one thing it's just too much power. No way I'd want anything more powerful. Fine cross hairs dancing around and the eye relief is very critical. It's not near as clear as my Leopold M8-16x.

With all due respect, unless there is a mirage problem, when it comes to pin point accuracy there is no such thing as too much power. If I could afford it, I'd own an 8-80x March, but have to settle for a few 12x42 NF's and a 15x55.

Rick

Back in the mid fifty's a 222 with a 6X scope was considered the last word in a mid range varmint outfit. In the early 60's I built a LV 222 mag on a 722 action very similiar to what would turn out to be the Rem. LV BR rifle. My scope was a 15X Unertl 2" target model and I felt I had finally arrived! After a while I decided I needed more power so I acquired a 20X eye piece and found out more magnification meant more mirage. Today we think nothing of using 35-50X scopes! How the times have changed!
Just the observations of an old man on a sunday afternoon with nothing else to do.

The two times I had the rifle/scope out it was between 55-62 degrees but at 100-200 yards you could see the heat waves, mirage as it's called I suppose. I'm talking about sheer clarity of what your looking at regardless the power. Looking through the Weaver and then the Leopold 16x was like looking through a somewhat foggy window compared to looking through the same one on a clear day-no comparison.

Tell you what stool, you purchase one, give me 70% off and I'll make your dreams come true. I won't pay for a scope what cars use to cost.

Back