Scope manufacturers

wv109323

I have been researching scopes for a benchrest 22lr. This made me aware that there must be dozen and dozens of manufacturers. Some brand names are made by unknown manufacturers.
This subject is propably too vast for a forum. But does any one know of a site that deals with who makes what and quality involved?
I want a 36 or 40x scope for 50 and 100 yards.

Sightron, Nightforce, Leupold and March are some of the top brands used in BR. A Weaver T-36 is a good choice that won't break the bank. However, I don't know of a site that would have the information you are seeking. Rimfire Central has a forum just for scopes. You might try doing a search there. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Benchrest scopes

Check in with E-Bay. I search scopes and just got a Japan Tasco 36X50 that was made one year for 218 total.
Other scopes show up and keep checking classified here. Good deals happen but go quick.
Got Leupold's, Sighttrons, Weavers and old Tascos on my rifles, both 22 and high power.
Also bit bullet for Nightforce probably the best of all.

Probably all you need to know is within the two posts above....pretty simple, but you can make a big deal out of it if you prefer. Just sayin' !

a lot of scopes

like Weaver are manufactured offshore. Many name brands used to have them made by Light Optical in Japan. However as JAPan prices increased many el cheapo scopes are made in the Philippines or communist China. My preference would be a Leupold or if cost is no object March(Japan) or Nightorce(not sure where those are made). There is no such thing as a good, cheap optical device.

Last edited:
The last time I checked

weaver warranty was good for the original owner only and they wanted a proof of purchase receipt. I tried their website this morning and could not log onto weaveroptics.com to check current warranty.

Standard Rule;
What ever you spend on rifle, double that for a scope. There is nothing worse then having a rifle capable of .001 groups and having a scope that is capable of .250 groups. Both look good, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may out in my measurements, but you get the idea.

swfa.com is a vendor for a vast array of riflescopes. Their website will list most manufacturers plus the technical specifications of each scope. Most importantly, if you click on a particular scope, a picture of the reticle will appear. For those looking for a quality entry level scope, consider a Mueller 8-32X44 target dot scope. I use tow of them on my air BR gun and one on a Anshutz sporter. You will be surprised at the quality for less than $250. I also use Sightron SIII scopes on my other guns. You can't beat them and they are half the cost of March or Nightforce and better in my estimation.

swfa.com

swfa.com is a vendor for a vast array of riflescopes. Their website will list most manufacturers plus the technical specifications of each scope. Most importantly, if you click on a particular scope, a picture of the reticle will appear. For those looking for a quality entry level scope, consider a Mueller 8-32X44 target dot scope. I use tow of them on my air BR gun and one on a Anshutz sporter. You will be surprised at the quality for less than $250. I also use Sightron SIII scopes on my other guns. You can't beat them and they are half the cost of March or Nightforce and better in my estimation.

does list scope BRANDS but it doesn't tell you which maker in Japan, Philippines, or Communist China makes them. Leupolds are made in USA but prolly use glass from off shore. If you can find what you want in a Leupold, even if its a bit more, you just can't beat the lifetime warranty, and you don't have to be the original buyer like some require you to prove before they offer warranty work. jmho.

As to Warranty

does list scope BRANDS but it doesn't tell you which maker in Japan, Philippines, or Communist China makes them. Leupolds are made in USA but prolly use glass from off shore. If you can find what you want in a Leupold, even if its a bit more, you just can't beat the lifetime warranty, and you don't have to be the original buyer like some require you to prove before they offer warranty work. jmho.

I have a friend that in the mid eighties returned a 24X bench rest scope for a broken reticle (he had purchased it used at a gun show.) After six weeks he inquired to Leupold as to status. He was told they had sent it back repaired ten days prior. Told him to check back in a week if he still hadn't received it. He did and told them he still hadn't received it. They sent him a new scope. A year later he was talking to a neighbor who told him he had forgotten a UPS package that was dropped off to him for my neighbor when he wasn't home. There was the scope. When he called Leupold and told the story, they told him to keep them both (to much paper work to return it.)

Now there's a warranty!!!

I buy a scope for its optics and tracking. If it doesn't do that and it is always back for a "free lifetime" warranty, I don't want it.
Lifetime warranty does not mean it is a good quality scope.
Yeah I'm stuck with one and have used the "free warranty" because I can't justify a March shooting only a couple matches a year.

Butch

I buy a scope for its optics and tracking. If it doesn't do that and it is always back for a "free lifetime" warranty, I don't want it.
Lifetime warranty does not mean it is a good quality scope.
Yeah I'm stuck with one and have used the "free warranty" because I can't justify a March shooting only a couple matches a year.

I had that problem once with a Leup competition. Back twice, still would not hold POI. They replaced it. The replacement was fine. Push them a bit.

Faulty scope

Several years ago I purchased a scope from a well known manufacturer. It was not Leupold, Nightforce or Sightron as I have had very good luck with these and go by what experienced shooters have to say about tracking, optical clarity, ruggedness, etc.. Suffice it to say this particular scope manufacturer's 'lifetime warranty' was lacking when I had a problem. I will never buy another scope from this manufacturer. Outside of this one example, I have never had to return a scope but go by what others have to say about customer service. I'll pay a bit more for a scope that is backed 100% without weasel words restricting what a 'lifetime warranty' entails.

Last edited:
Back