Scope magnification for 500-1000 yds match?

Hi guys,

Can you tell me what is the general concencus for the "best" scope's power for 500-1000 yds match?
Should it be a variable???
Any of you use a fix power? with good result?

Will get/finish a new rifle (.284 win) soon, stock is almost done, but still contemplating with the scope...

I have a used Sightron 36x with 2 nylon screws to "lock" the inside tube mechanism (been stored in my cupboard for several years, in very good condition) but not sure if it would be okay for the purpose....?
Sure I like the March EP zoom, but I have no money anymore...:D

More question.... do you often / need to change the magnification during the relay?

Sorry for the dumb questions, i'm still new to long range match.

TIA,
seb.

Seb, I have used a fixed power 24X. I have also used a variable, a 12-43 Nightforce. I usually set the NF to about 40x, but with a variable, you have the cushion of dialing pack the power if the mirage should be quite bad.

I never change the magnification during a relay.

Your 36x, of course, falls right in the middle. I have used a 36x for 1,000 matches. Very occasionally, the mirage is too great and I wish I had the 24x on.

There really are no hard and fast answers. Since your out of money (common for a lot of us), shoot what you got. Worst case, that at least will give you an idea of what you don't like, which is also useful before spending money.

Seb I am sure that others with experience will chime in but as a pre posting as I understand it the benefit for the variable comes into play when mirage is present.
You can turn down the magnification to help eliminate or lessen the mirage.
Some people are also shooting the sightron ?x50x

Thanks for the response, Charles & Vern.
My Sightron isn't as good as (can't be compared to) the March...but I might try it first and see what I need then...

seb.

Shoot the Sightron..... under most circumstances you won't be appreciably handicapped to the more expensive scopes and being a fixed-focus scope you may be pleasantly surprised when looking side-by-side with a NF. You may need a 20 moa base to get enough elevation but the $1000. you save will more than make up for it. Wonder how many records were set with the venerable fixed 36 power Weavers and Sightrons over the years.

Hi Seb,

The March 36x55 EP zoom is in a class of it's own. You just have to be careful, when initially setting it up, that you have enough eye relief for turning down the power. If you don't, then you will be out of position for accurate shooting. You don't normally have to adjust the power during a match.

Last edited:
Thanks "22guy"... I might probably make the rings myself, maybe in 15 moa or so. This is a rifle with barrel change (two calibers) for short range and long range.

Thanks you Bob... Have seen through several March scopes at Kelbly some years ago and I was really impressed with them. I must have one soon.

seb.

All part of a judgement call, this year I have found myself backing the power down on my 20x50 premier Leupold,and my 12x42 Nightforce, but when the conditions are right use the power. Its nice to have someplace to go up or down when needed.

Joe Salt

Seb.......I suppose there is a lot to be said for some of the High Dollar scopes in varying powers, but being of meager means:), I have pretty well stayed with the 24X Leupolds, Weavers, Sightrons etc. The 24 Leupy did well enought to allow me to set the 1,000 yard oignt gun group record back in 2002 (which has since been suplanted by Tom Sarver in 2007). It also worked to take the 600 yard light gun agg at Piedmont this month. So, make no mistake, a 24X will work. I have various 36X Leupolds and Weavers but still stay with the 24 and don't feel handicapped?
Rich De

Back