scope height

K

kman

when measuring for scope height to get ballastic trajectory where do u get this measurment,do u measure to the center of the scope to the center of the barrel

thank inadvance for any help

not always easy to do.
.but with a cleaning rod in the bore you can measure up to the bottom of the scope tube , add half the tube dia and add an adjustment for the cleaning rod dia,plus or minus its clearance in the bore....
if bbl dia is known, just measure up to the tube and use half tube and bbl dia...

mike in co

For a cylindrical action, add half the diameter of the action + the distance between the top of the action and the bottom of the scope tube + half the diameter of the scope tube.

The good news is that until you're shooting a long way back, it doesn't matter all that much if your guesstimate is out some. Punch a few different heights into your ballistic table & check it out.

John

"DAT WORKS.....
see how many ways there are to skin a cat ?
and close works till you find out how and where your gun shoots...

mike in co
I do it pretty simple... I measure from the stock at the side of the action (or gas port) to the split in my scope rings. When I put the cleaning rod in that is where it lines up. - nhk

when measuring for scope height to get ballastic trajectory where do u get this measurment,do u measure to the center of the scope to the center of the barrel

thank inadvance for any help

Yes.

And YES it's important for accurate long range mixed yardage shooting. (much of the shooting done on this site is fixed, measured yardage. For this sort of thing you can mount your scope underneath or alongside, it doesn't matter) Equally important is that your crosshairs be vertical and directly above your bore.

al

I do it like this. at the very front of the scope I measure the OD of the scope, and in the same plane, the diameter of the barrel (both with dial calipers). My last measurement is from the top of the front of the scope to the top of the barrel, using the back of the calipers like a depth mic. To this measurement I add half the diameter of the barrel and subtract half the diameter of the scope. It takes longer to explain than to do.

It's very simple to do with calipers. Here's how I do it...

Measure from the bottom of the scope tube(not the objective), to the top of the bolt body. Then add to this figure, 1/2 the diameter of the scope tube and 1/2 the diameter of the bolt body...done.

Last edited:
Shoot the rifle at 100 yards. Measure the difference between POI and POA. Go back to you computer program and change the scope height value until the two are the same.

(These days, I guess I have to say "just kidding." Too many whippersnappers.)

the machinest answer.
turn a 6-7in pc of stock to 1.000 dia
drill a hole .250 in dia thru the 1" bar.( centered form end to end -perpendicular and centered)
mill a flat in the bar, perpendicular to the .250 hole, to the center(.500), mill flat .375 longer than the base of your depth micrometer.
place bar in rings, use precision level to level bar in rirngs.
insert the reciever mandrel( all machinst have one) with bushing into the reciever.
using depth mic, measure down to mandrel.
add half( a known figure to the machinist) of mandrel dia to depth mic reading.....

mike in co

the machinest answer.
turn a 6-7in pc of stock to 1.000 dia
drill a hole .250 in dia thru the 1" bar.( centered form end to end -perpendicular and centered)
mill a flat in the bar, perpendicular to the .250 hole, to the center(.500), mill flat .375 longer than the base of your depth micrometer.
place bar in rings, use precision level to level bar in rirngs.
insert the reciever mandrel( all machinst have one) with bushing into the reciever.
using depth mic, measure down to mandrel.
add half( a known figure to the machinist) of mandrel dia to depth mic reading.....

mike in co
Just wondering if you do this with all your AR guns, and are your programs better for it

Measure the length from the muzzle to a point directly below the front of the scope. Then measure from the front of the scope to the muzzle of the barrel. Square the hypotenuse (Muzzle to scope) and subtract the square of the length of the barrel muzzle to directly below front of scope. The take the square root of the remainder. Pytharorean theory. Gads let's not make this more complicated than it has to be.

I think you'll find that in 97.6% of the time in a BR rifle this will be 2 inches

Francis,

Your solution wins on points for style, especially the element of elegance. Interesting variation on the Pythagorean Theorem. I wish you had avoided the rounding error present in your estimate of 97.6%. That compromise flies in the face of traditional point blank BR obsession for detail. Regardless, your post goes to the head of the class. Well done, Sir!

Greg

well...no bob i don't.
not all my br guns are built for long range,nor for br type accuracy and (well don't let this get around) i own and shoot bolt guns.
the ar's are easy as they have a flat top...the measurement is easy.
most everything is waiting on the economy to get better.....
not much shooting these days
mike in co
Just wondering if you do this with all your AR guns, and are your programs better for it

this method has always worked for me:

1. using a divider, place one point at the bottom edge of the front element of the scope. Estimate the center with the other leg of the divider and scribe a small mark on the glass.
2. Place the bottom leg on the top and scribe another small semi-circle on the lens. in between the 2 scribed marks is the center of the lens.
3. using a hand held drill with a #3 center drill, carefully drill a very small hole in the front lens in between the two marks previously made. this now represents the center of the scope.
4. Turn the drill 90 degrees and drill a 3/16 hole through the barrel.
5. Place a small length of drill rod through the hole so it bisects the hole just drilled through the scope lens.
6. using a hacksaw, carefully cut the rod so it is exactly even with the hole in the lens. removing the rod from the barrel is optional at this point.
7. make a small mark on the rod where it meets the barrel.
8. measure the long end of the rod and substract 1/2 of the short end.
9. you now have the accurate scope height.

Last edited:
it snowed here last night and today....so i guess we have an excuse for this.......

mike in co

this method has always worked for me:

1. using a divider, place one point at the bottom edge of the front element of the scope. Estimate the center with the other leg of the divider and scribe a small mark on the glass.
2. Place the bottom leg on the top and scribe another small semi-circle on the lens. in between the 2 scribed marks is the center of the lens.
3. using a hand held drill with a #3 center drill, carefully drill a very small hole in the front lens in between the two marks previously made. this now represents the center of the scope.
4. Turn the drill 90 degrees and drill a 3/16 hole through the barrel.
5. Place a small length of drill rod through the hole so it bisects the hole just drilled through the scope lens.
6. using a hacksaw, carefully cut the rod so it is exactly even with the hole in the lens. removing the rod from the barrel is optional at this point.
7. make a small mark on the rod where it meets the barrel.
8. measure the long end of the rod and substract 1/2 of the short end.
9. you now have the accurate scope height.

I don't like it..... I don't think you've thought your method through, you didn't make a provision for differing bore sizes.

And anyone knows that nowdays you'd be use a Sawzall not a hacksaw. WAYY better because you can let the rod spin (just a little) as you sawz and get a perfectly flush cut. (well you gots to grind the little nib of the center) and be careful when the rod parts you don't hit your scope. Scratches on the lens SUCK!

Good method though, best yet and you gotta' get up perty sprightly to beat Ol' fFfBbrAAnsciIiSSSs

al

Of course there is the plumb bob and screw in lens cap method: Pass plumb bob string through barrel from muzzle through chamber, and then through the mouth and flash hole of an empty case of the same caliber as the rifle, securing it by tying it around an old style RCBS decapping pin. Chamber case with bolt unclosed. Remove the front lens cap, and drill a small hole through its exact center (see earlier post for directions for finding center), and pass another plumb bob string through the hole and secure as with the barrel bob. Put the cap back on the scope. Hang the rifle from a garage rafter tie so that the bore is plumb, as verified by symmetrical depth mic readings from the outside of the muzzle to the outside of the string. Adjust bobs so that their points are just above the floor. Lay a finely divided steel rule under the points and using a magnifying glass and LED flashlight note and record the distance between the points. Safety tips: String should be removed from barrel before attempting to fire rifle, and front scope cap should be removed unless rifle is fitted with Iron Sighter rings, in which case it can be left in place. In any case it is suggested that the string and bob be removed , and the hole in the cap filled with well chewed bubble gum, that may later be Cerakoted to match the cap. If all has gone well and you have obtained a reading between 1/2 and 6" destroy any evidence of the process used and sell the rifle, as you are way too gullible to be shooting anything.

Last edited:
Of course there is the plumb bob and screw in lens cap method: Pass plumb bob string through barrel from muzzle through chamber, and then through the mouth and flash hole of an empty case of the same caliber as the rifle, securing it by tying it around an old style RCBS decapping pin. Chamber case with bolt unclosed. Remove the front lens cap, and drill a small hole through its exact center (see earlier post for directions for finding center), and pass another plumb bob string through the hole and secure as with the barrel bob. Put the cap back on the scope. Hang the rifle from a garage rafter tie so that the bore is plumb, as verified by symmetrical depth mic readings from the outside of the muzzle to the outside of the string. Adjust bobs so that their points are just above the floor. Lay a finely divided steel rule under the points and using a magnifying glass and LED flashlight note and record the distance between the points. Safety tips: String should be removed from barrel before attempting to fire rifle, and front scope cap should be removed unless rifle is fitted with Iron Sighter rings, in which case it can be left in place. In any case it is suggested that the string and bob be removed , and the hole in the cap filled with well chewed bubble gum, that may later be Cerakoted to match the cap. If all has gone well and you have obtained a reading between 1/2 and 6" destroy any evidence of the process used and sell the rifle, as you are way too gullible to be shooting anything.

it is refreshing to see other perspectives from members of such an august community of ours in october.

Back