scope for long range on a budget

M

mike in co

600-1000 yds, prone and bench, chambered in 300 win mag/300wsm/ 7mm rem mag/284 win (long) .,( ok i have not picked one, too much for 600, but am on a budget)
does not have to be new, but $700 is the limit.

do any of the vxIII's fit ?( they are on sale, new designation for 09)

else ?

open minded...lets hear for you guys

thanks
mike in co

Weight

Hi Mike , We have taken to reducing the weight in the scope lately in the 17 lbs guns, so we can put more into the metal work ,after useing the latest Weaver T24 target dot i am inclined to say that mabye i should be shootin one on the heavy gun as well.. Good as i need for 600 and 1000yds ,or $700 ,you can get 2..JR..Jeff Rogers

For 600yds

I'm shootin a pre4000 series B&L 36x and I can see 6.5 bullet holes in the white in good conditions. The guy on the next bench couldn't see em with his 42x NF. I paid $500 for it.

Mike,
I have owned and liked Burris' and sightrons as well. They both have an 8-32x that, if you are able to find them used or new will do very well for you. The Burris black diamond (30mm tube I believe, these were marketed as European models) 8-32x is retailed for $680 at bruno's, and their signature series for around $500. I also have a leupold long range target with a varmint reticle 6-20x that is very clear, but I don't know if that level of magnification will suite you.
I have not had to take any of my scopes back to the manufacturer, but I have heard very good things about Burris' customer service (which is not to say that sightron or leupold's are bad, just haven't heard about them in a while).
Good luck.
Mike Suhie

severe lack of replies....
are you telling me i cannot shoot 600/1000 without having a $1200 plus scope ??

mike in co

Vortex

Mike,

I recently purchased a Vortex Viper in 6.5-20x for a varmint rifle. I bought this based on feedback I have heard about Vortex optics. Got it last week and have been playing with it.

The scope was reasonably priced and the glass compares with more expensive scopes. Unlike many of the lower cost manufacturers that produce in China, this one was made in the Philipines (not sure if this is good or bad....).

The knobs are crisp and tactile and they feature the ability to pull the knob out to set your zero without tools. Fit and finish are very good. I tried torture testing it on a high recoil light weight 300WSM rifle and it held zero just fine. I'm expecting it to work just fine on my new varmint rig.

May not be the ideal 1000 yard scope, but I'm impressed by the cost-to-quality ratio.

On my long range gun, I have an IOR Valdada 6-24x50 with the 35mm tube and an MP8 reticle. Excellent scope but outside of the "budget scope" price range.

Another scope you may want to look at is Horus Vision. I have a 3-12x Horus Hawk on my 300WSM. The glass is very good and it's well made. Knobs and reticle are in MILs. It's made in Japan. Doesn't have the magnification for competitive 100 yard shooting, but I'm happy with it.

Patrick

"Budget" Scope

I am real pleased with an Elite 4200 mil dot in 6-24 (you may or may not like the size of the dots) that is very clear and holds POI very well. Here's a couple on eBay right now, one in 6-24 and one in 8-32:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUSHNELL-ELITE-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bushnell-Elite-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I've a couple other scopes that were a lot more money but I really think I would get another of these for target shooting. Good luck!

Rob Cook

The difficulty can be working out what contribution to group size any one component of your equipment or ammo makes, positively or negatively. However, I haven't ever found an issue with my Sightron 36x Big Sky or my old faithful Leupold 24x.

Have you considered buying a preloved unit? There's always scopes in the classifieds here.

I have 2 leupold VX-III 8.5X25 for 1000 yards and love them. You can get them for about 800.00 new if you look for them.

Gary

Mike In Co

Mike
Like aJR said the Weavers in 24 or 36 power work just fine as do the 24 and 36 power Leupolds.They are well under your $700 to boot.
This sunday I'll be using my 36 Leupold on one gun and a 12-42 Nightforce on the other and I don't think I'm giving away anything do to the scope.In the classifieds here a used 36D model will run you $500
Lynn

will this do ?
luepold vx-3 30 mm tube 8.5-25 long range target ?

starting to stretch my budget finding a scope....

help

thanks
mike

scope

Mike,
I believe you could do well with the 8.5x25 Leupold. However, if you want more power I have a Burris 8X32 that I would sell for $350. It is in Burris Signature rings and it has a mill-dot reticle. Personally, I don't like the mill-dot reticle and that is why I selling it. If you are interested you can email delmartin@earthlink.net or call 541-753-3204
Good luck on you quest for a scope.
Del

If your on a budget and it is a purpose rifle not going to be used to plink Look at a fixed power They will just about always have a sharper imagine from the same manufacturer I like less power for everything It helps me bear down on my concentration better without having the wiggles in the crosshairs to distract me as much I have not competed in 25 yrs but will be again soon This is my personal philosophy the least amount of power I can use to get the job done is my motto If you use a fixed power less to break or go arwy imho

Del

I have a Burris 8X32 that I would sell for $350. It is in Burris Signature rings and it has a mill-dot reticle.
Del

Is that Burris a 44 or 50mm objective? I would prefer the later. I have a .223 in need of some mil-dots. Selling the rings too?

Brian

Just bought my third Nightforce. Had to skip eating supper at night after I bought my second nightforce. Now it looks like I can't afford lunch anymore either. Pants getting a little looser. Good news is I can still afford beer.

Mike

Just bought my third Nightforce. Had to skip eating supper at night after I bought my second nightforce. Now it looks like I can't afford lunch anymore either. Pants getting a little looser. Good news is I can still afford beer.

Lunch and dinner are over-rated! Everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day anyway.

I think of optics as tools you might have for a very long time, investments if you will. Most really nice, expensive tools I have bought have enhanced my life in some way and I have no regrets forking out the cash, and in most cases, I wonder why I hadn't "pulled the trigger" sooner. The same can be said for my optics purchases. The rewards will overcome the cost.

I use several 6-24 Sightron's and a B&L 36. All have done well for me.

This is not exactly following Mike's original post about scopes on a budget but...
has anyone had the opportunity to check out one of the new March scopes? They recently came out with several new ones, including a 10x-60x52 and an illuminated reticle. I realize the cost is high and the warrentee is only 5 years.

john

Back