Scope bases

tbird1960

I haven't shot any benchrest in over 40 years and I recently bought a benchrest rifle with a Stainless Remington action, a stainless barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and caliber is 6mm BR norma. It has a set of scope bases on it that I have seen on other benchrest rifles that are similar to Unertl bases. Question is are these type of rings and bases supposed to be better than Redfield rings and bases and if so HOW???

It sounds like what you have are what are refered to (generically) as 'Davidson' bases. These accept a dovetailed 'Kelbly' style ring. The advantage of this setup is the wide variety of rings that you can use....tall or short, single or double screw....plus the ease with which you can change the rings w/o removing the bases. The rings for these bases are available from Kelbly's, Harrels and a couple of other suppliers. If this setup has a downside, it's that they can slide under recoil in certain conditions. I use a dab of epoxy or LocTite between the contact angle of the rings and the sides of the bases to help secure things. I've modified some of these bases to take a small pin to act as a recoil lug (see pic).

Happy Easter and enjoy that 6BR. :cool: -Al

pin1.jpg

Last edited:
That is why I asked because they looked like the scope could slide forward under recoil without the groove in the base and some kind of locking device. I appreciate the info.

Back