Scale Weight of 22 Cal

J

jcw3

I use to have a digital scale years ago to weigh my 22 bullets before a match and ended up giving it away. Back then the things costed $250+, I guess it was my lost and their gain.

Anyways I am looking to get an electronic scale to weigh bullets with. I notice there are alot of cheapos on eBay, but I was wondering about the accracy they have.

Anyways, does anyone know the rough weight of a 22 cal target bullet??? I use to shoot eley gold metal, but I can remember any weights.

The reason I am asking is I want to get a electric scale, but not sure how big of a scale I need to buy.

Any recommendations is greatly appriciated.

22 bullets

Although I don't weigh ammo much anymore I used to weigh 22 lr at 51.8 but I think target ammo will be around 51.4 or so. I used an RCBS digital that I bought when they first came out. I'm not an e-bay shopper so I don't know about the scales they have on there for sale.
I think that Dillon makes a good set but the more you spend the better the scale. Also you need the scale in an enclosed box or have the pan covered by something. And you need to let they scale warm-up for about 30 minutes to an hour before using it.
Just my 2 cents

That sounds about right. The set I had, us to have a plastic box that went around it to aid with air movement.

I have never heard of letting a scale warm up that long, but maybe I will give it a try (when I get a new set).

As far as weighing them, we would get a brick of eley and weight each bullet one by one, and sort them. It is amazing how much variance there is in target ammo, or atleast 5 years ago it was. We would also rim gage them, I found more benifit from this than the actuall weighing though.

The SK Pistol Match ammo that I have weighed had a range from 51.4 to 52.2grs. The mean was right at 51.8grs. You could get a fluke to go 51.3grs or 52.3grs. The Eley match ammo I would only speculate to be held to tighter tolerences with a smaller range variation.

I have this one.

IMGP2478.JPG

I bought it here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=713372&t=11082005

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyman LE-1000

I've had good success using this scale. I find it works better on a new 9 volt battery. I've had it replaced several times, when it was new, as the AC Power Supply seemed to burn it out in a very short time of use. I switched to Battery only, and haven't had a problem in 6 years. I recalibrate about every 50 rounds when weighing 22lr. The average weight of the Lapua I use, is 51.6 Grains. They will vary about .3 grains + or -. For the record, I found it was a waste of time to measure quality match ammo, but I still do it every now and then, when I get a new lot that shoots a bit different elevation wise, and I want to know what the difference might be.

That's correct

Never had any below 51.3 though. Depending on the lot that spead seams to stay constant.

I recently checked my SK Standard Plus and made four groups. In the one box I would place those which were 51.5, 51.8, 51.9; in the other box it would be 51.4, 51.5, and 51.6. I try to use all from one box in a set of targets.I had a few which were in the 52.2 and 52.5 range and those went into the barrel warmer box.
Does it make a difference? I don't know but it made me feel confident in the ammunition the way I had it sorted.
College

Back