SB manual lathe / Grizz

I think the extra money for a blue chi com lathe isnt worth it. Thats not a south bend. Id go for the grizz or find a real south bend used for less than the grizz

What about the Grizz. I'm Sure there are some guys out there that have them.

I said id go with the grizz or find a good used old original south bend. Its all in what you want to spend. You can get a nice south bend for half price thats twice the lathe if you look around a bit. Ive got 2 of em.

I said id go with the grizz or find a good used old original south bend. Its all in what you want to spend. You can get a nice south bend for half price thats twice the lathe if you look around a bit. Ive got 2 of em.

Dusty, are you saying that an old South Bend is better than a new one? I know I hear that a lot but since you actually have two of them I'd like to hear your stated opinion.
al

I think if you have a 40yr old south bend its better than a new one will be in 40yrs. I have a 13 and a heavy 10 and both of them are perfect. Both are so smooth you can only hear the electric motors unless youre in back gear. Theyre slower changing speeds and all that and i cant cut metric threads but thats easy to deal with. Now i know youre wondering what else does he have to draw from- i have a jet 1440 with all the bells and whistles that collects dust. Its super accurate but doesnt feel right. I have to shut it down to talk on the phone. But it does have a very nice 8" rohm chuck and aloris so it does have a few things goin for it. Im just an old american iron kinda guy. I know of and have owned south bends that were in production full time for years and years. I just dont see a chi com lathe lasting very long under real world use. When i go into machine shops to visit friends or the ones ive worked at ive never seen a chi com lathe on any floor.

Dustys brother, one of the VERY TOP US benchrest gunsmiths, Billy Stevens of Stevens Accuracy, use the SB Heavy 10's too.

I wouldn't trade my 1944 SB heavy 10 for a field full of the ChiCom's.

Jerry- his heavy 10 is the heavy 10 that you would dream about if you were having the best dream ever. I put a vfd on it, it has the long bed, a very late model with all the options and appears as if somebody bought their dream lathe and forgot it for 40yrs. It still had all the swirl marks on the ways with shiny original paint.

Jerry- his heavy 10 is the heavy 10 that you would dream about if you were having the best dream ever. I put a vfd on it, it has the long bed, a very late model with all the options and appears as if somebody bought their dream lathe and forgot it for 40yrs. It still had all the swirl marks on the ways with shiny original paint.

Dusty ask yo' bro' who was a party to picking it out.

Oh he told me just wasnt sure you actually seen it in person. My heavy 10 has a 110v motor in it but no vfd. I also have every single attachment they offered even the commutator scraper. Took me a long time to figure out what that even was!

Oh he told me just wasnt sure you actually seen it in person. My heavy 10 has a 110v motor in it but no vfd. I also have every single attachment they offered even the commutator scraper. Took me a long time to figure out what that even was!

Dusty, most times, but not always, for sure, an experienced eye can tell the general condition of a machine tool. Oh for sure you can't tell if a tooth is broken off a gear from a photo, but we can tell the generally how a machine was used or abused even if it has a new paint job.

Col. Billys first Heavy 10 was obviously prime, just looking at the photos. On a thread above, Ted Hindlesman just won a Holton shoot using the gun he built on a Heavy 10 he restored himself. His restoration was simply a show-car paint job he put on it in the Winter of 2012, but it looks museum grade now.

I hope this off tangent discussion is helping the OP in what he ask.

Is there a way to replace the headstock spindle with a larger one on an Atlas..??..I found a pristine one with a 48" bed but the hole thru the headstock is 1 inch...

Eddie in Texas

South Bend vs. ATLAS Lathe

Is there a way to replace the headstock spindle with a larger one on an Atlas..??..I found a pristine one with a 48" bed but the hole thru the headstock is 1 inch...

Eddie in Texas

Would not recommend an ATLAS lathe for any serious gun work or machining.

The gears are Zamac/aluminum alloy, tend to bind/breakage.

Had TH54 Atlas, 10", sold & replaced w/10L Heavy 10 SB & find this one just right. Absolutely no comparison.

Bill

Trinidad State Junior College has one of the new 10K lathes, I was told that mechanically is was ok but that they were on their 3rd or 4th motor.

Buck

grizzly tool is in the development stage of remaking the old Heavy 10 with some new age improvements. Not sure what the improvements are though. Grizzly is keeping a pretty tight lip on this lathe. I have heard rumors that maybe this fall it will be announced?? This machine may not be as well made as an original SB Heavy 10 but I bet it will be a nice machine for the money.
I think a lot of Shiraz and his products. The new heavy 10 wont be American made of course, but I have been told there isn't even any American made machine/lathes even being made anymore??
I am in the market for a second machine, and I would love to find a nice old Heavy 10. If I don't find one before shiraz releases the new model heavy 10, and I can afford one, ill will own one.
I love my big 16" grizzly Gun Smith lathe, as it is very accurate, and the barrels I produce from it have won a 2 gun once or twice so I feel real comfortable with it. Only down side is the headstock size. New barrels are no trouble, but anything shorter than 24" I have to use an extension.
Tom Haverkamp has the nicest old heavy 10 I have ever seen. Absolutely a work of art. I would give just about anything to own it.
Im keeping my eyes open!! Lee

grizzly tool is in the development stage of remaking the old Heavy 10 with some new age improvements. Not sure what the improvements are though. Grizzly is keeping a pretty tight lip on this lathe. I have heard rumors that maybe this fall it will be announced?? This machine may not be as well made as an original SB Heavy 10 but I bet it will be a nice machine for the money.
I think a lot of Shiraz and his products. The new heavy 10 wont be American made of course, but I have been told there isn't even any American made machine/lathes even being made anymore??
I am in the market for a second machine, and I would love to find a nice old Heavy 10. If I don't find one before shiraz releases the new model heavy 10, and I can afford one, ill will own one.
I love my big 16" grizzly Gun Smith lathe, as it is very accurate, and the barrels I produce from it have won a 2 gun once or twice so I feel real comfortable with it. Only down side is the headstock size. New barrels are no trouble, but anything shorter than 24" I have to use an extension.
Tom Haverkamp has the nicest old heavy 10 I have ever seen. Absolutely a work of art. I would give just about anything to own it.
Im keeping my eyes open!! Lee

Lee, believe it or not Monarch is producing 4 or 5 new 10EEs at this time. I've heard in the neighborhood of $200,000. each. I do know that they charge about $80,000 to completely renovate the one that you may send them.

let's get together and do a group buy, maybe buy 10 of them and I bet they'll drop them down to $198,999.99 each!

WHat a DEAL!!

Back