Savage target actions, action only.

J

Jim S

Anybody buy the savage target actions, and fit them up? I have 3 comming in this week, one is getting a Broughton 8 twist 1.25 straight, in 6mm.

I purchased the other two for display to customers not having an action.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on them, and results you obtained if any. I'm going to mic/gauge them out when they come and see if all is good.

Pretty solid action...

I'm going to mic/gauge them out when they come and see if all is good.
Jim, I'd be curious to know what your findings are...

Know one of these actions bone stock set-up with a 6.5-284 Krieger for F-Class that... Ohhhh SHOOTS...!

cale

I have one on a 204 that has been fitted with a jewell trigger. (not available on the market) That one shoots like a house afire with a pacnor 11 twist polygonal barrel.

The other one I have was timed and trued by Fred Moreo and is very smooth to operate. It has had the trigger lightened from it's already light 6 oz. to a more reliable but still 6 oz. pull. They can lock up if cycled quickly on the lightest setting. Setting them a little higher will keep that from happening. I have mine operating light and reliable. When they lock up you must lift the bolt to reset the trigger.

Fred charges 105$ to make them operate smooth as silk. This second one will be a switch barrel in 243AI and 204 ruger.

Savage Target Actions

I have several customers shooting them in F-Class. Chambered in 308,
6mmBRX, 6.5 X .284. All have been pleased. The trigger has to be finessed as it is not a Jewell. The Rifle Basix also must be finessed but will go down to 4oz.

Rustystud

I just finished one in 223 for a customer and liked what I saw with the following comments:
1. The guard screws would not thread into the action and needed a tap run into the holes to clean them up. It appears the action was threaded and then contoured causing the guard screw holes to deform slightly at the surface.
2. The locating pin on the recoil lug would not enter the slot in the receiver face. When the pin was reduced in diameter to allow entry into the guide slot, it bottomed on the rear of the slot and did not allow the lug to seat on the receiver face.
3. The action was fitted up like a Rem 700 without the barrel nut. A 1.200" barrel does not have enough meat to give a good shoulder with a 1.120" barrel thread. Be sure to get a 1.250" barrel shank if you want to barrel like a Rem 700.
Bottom line is that it is a real bargain , but CHECK EVERYTHING before cutting metal.

I am interested in your findings also, I have for some time been thinking of trying one.

Rustystud
Did you check your customers actions for trueness/squareness. If so what did you find?

I recently replaced the accutrigger on my model 12 Savage action with a Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger and would rate it far superior to the accutrigger.

How does the accutrigger target model compare to the Sav2?

James

1.250 for no nut chambering...

Be sure to get a 1.250" barrel shank if you want to barrel like a Rem 700.
Riflemeister

Yes, made that mistake...:rolleyes: Woops, but I bought the 1.200 Krieger off the guy I was helping build the rifle for. Got lucky!!! Bruno had a 1-8" Krieger 1.250 blank on hand!!! Yea!!!! Whewwwwww!
Chambered it on his Target action for 6.5-284 with a shank no barrel nut... The recoil lug was flat and of quality. The stock is a Mcmillan Tooley stock in marble Black and White.
Man its a GOOD looking Rig!!! It SHOOTS! The guy is REALLY happy!
Gotta take some pic of this thing! Sharp!

As far as TRUENESS is concerned, they gotta be pretty close! My Mod 12 & 110's measure plenty good! They SHOOT!

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
My log book shows I received a Savage Target Action on Mar. 22 of '07. It was set it up in a Gre' Tan-type action truing fixture and runout on the face indicated a little under .001". Took a very light pass to clean that up, and then took a very light pass on the lug seats. Didn't touch the threads, as I figured they were probably at least as close to true as the face & seats. Fitted a 28" Krieger #18LV 6mm/8-twist chambered for a .274" no-turn neck Dasher with a shoulder/sans barrel nut, and have had very satisfying results out of the finished rifle (used a B&C #2999 stock). The recoil lug fit perfectly, though I had to do some fitting as per Riflemeister's experience on a recent SharpShooterSupply lug on another Savage action.

My action arrived with no action screws. Did those of you who've bought them more recently receive screws with your actions?

I give Savage a big "attaboy" & a pat on the back for releasing these actions. I was also impressed with the prototype Palma rifle they had on display in their booth at the SHOT Show last month. At least one U.S. firearms company has a clue as far as what accuracy is all about, and the needs of its customers.

Triggers for the Savage...

The Target Accutrigger has different springs than the standard Savage Actions. Note their Red Trigger shoe and the Text etched on the action.
Savage want sell you or a gunsmith the lighter springs. I have a Spring maker making me a 1000 of each spring in the lighter configurations.

The Savage Target Trigger is not as light (6oz) and has more creep than the Rifle Basix Sav-2 set at its best (4oz). The rifle Basix Sav-2 set at its lowest settings is not safe but for Target shooting applications and that with care, ADs can occure. If you have the Rifle Basix Sav-2 set at its lowest settings it will fire with pushing the safety off and on several times. This makes the safety useless.

The Rifle Basix Sav-1 Trigger can be set down to about 12oz and is safe in comparison.

The Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger can be set down to about 12 oz. It requires some modifications to work on the accutrigger models.

Jewell Triggers has a trigger designed for Savages. It requires some fitting and due to liability and manufacturing cost they have shelved the product. My suggestion is for Savage owners to call and e-mail them vigerously and encourage them to market the Savage Triggers. There was some rumor that they were going to let Fred Moreo (SSS) have a sole distributorship of the Jewell for Savage actions. Something fell through and the rumor did not come to be.

Timney makes a Savage trigger. I just wish it was made of better materials. It is lightweight in construction. I have not been able to get one to stay under 4-6oz and last an entrie season of F-Class shooting.

If you know more than this please let me know. I am always looking for a better Savage Trigger.
Rustystud

Nat
Thank you for that information. I also found that I could make it fire on occasion by flipping the safety back and fourth numerous times. I still have a little creep in the Sav2 trigger but think I can safely adjust that out. I am thinking that with the safety issue it may be best to just epoxy/JB weld it in fire position that way no-one would think it is ever "on safe"(it doesn't bother us to have a Jewell without a safety). The way the Savage trigger works it stands to reason that there would be more creep in the accutrigger than the Rifle Basix since it has the adjustable sear engagement, I had not considered that and appreciate those comments.
James

The reason Jewell shelved the Savage trigger is because Remington came out with their all new trigger design and he wanted to focus his time and energy developing a new trigger to replace it. Least that's the reasoning Fred got from Arnold.

I wonder if Fred is going to come out with a true benchrest type trigger? He would be the man to do it and do it right, we can only hope.

Savage trigger

5{talked to Fred Moreo he said he was done testing a new BR trigger
for my new three screw action and I should be getting the gun soon. When he has enough triggers made up they will be on his Web site. I might call him later today for an update.

Maybe I should call him and offer to test his trigger for him, I shoot prob 4000 rounds a year in different forms of competion with my savages,lol. I shoot a Jewell that he setup for me and to be honest I like it. But if Fred makes one for a Savage I will own his and never look back.

Savage trigger

Fred has been working on my new three screw for a year now, and a good part of that has been on developing a new BR trigger. He had some one testing his different designs - I don't know who. However, I think he is happy with what he has now and will be making up some to sell or install. I also asked him to make a shiney butt plate with some kind of logo on it for my gun, and he is thinking of offering these butt plates for sale. He also gave me two of the origional five Jewell triggers he had and I have been very happy with them. But, they do require more cleaning than the old BR triggers I have from Fred. I have six 1,000yd. BR Savages - two Shehane Trackers
and the rest are from Fred. I can't shoot worth a $hit but I am having a hell of a lot of fun. Badlands

BR trigger

I talked to Fred yesterday, and he is only going to offer the new BR trigger as a package deal. He will do a complete action job first, then install and adjust the trigger . The stock also requires some clearance work to fit the new trigger. The action job costs over a $100 but is included in the package.
The complete package will cost $300, and he will have to have the whole gun
to do the work. A jewell trigger costs over $200 by itself, so this package
is a good deal. Installing a good working BR trigger on a Savage action is
rather difficult, that is whyI like to have Fred do it. :D "Badlands"

Back