Savage Pre-Fit barrel ?

They are all gone

Shot Show starts tomorrow in Vegas. Almost everyone in the gun world that has something to sell goes to it. Don't expect to help from anyone until next week.

tiny

Tiny, do all the Savages use the same size barrel nut wrench? Ive got a LRPV I would like to eventually swap a barrel on.

wrench

All the wrenchs I have seen fit both style of barrel nuts (one on each end). I am pretty sure you would be cover. Personally, I only own a standard shank barrels and the LRPV is a large shank, I believe. But, I think it still uses the same wrench. I'll try and find out.

tiny

When I did mine

I took off that stupid nut and set it like a remmington.

Then you can use real recoild lugs and use any barrel you want !

Im sure that thought will really piss off the savage purist's :eek:

Roy?
Savage nuts get kicked a lot but usually take it in stride.:D

I must be missing something. Aftermarket recoil lugs come in thicknesses up to 1/2" and can be used with or without a nut. (If theres enough threads) Are they not real?
You do bring up a good point.
Its never a bad idea to purchase a new machined recoil lug to install with your new custom tube.

Only reason I see to get rid of the nut and shoulder a Savages barrel is to make switch barrel rifles like Larry Racine produces. Now thats a cool system.

If a shooter is strictly a hand loader and does not want to shoot factory ammo head space is a relative thing as long as you shorten it. Lengthing a rifles head space is never a good idea.
This winter I've been playing with an old 223 tube. I shortened/set the head space to get a crush fit on fresh Winchester brass. Left about .002 between the bolt face and barrel. Just wanted to try the crush fit fire forming method.
Only the nut gives me that freedom.
To soon to realize any results. I wanted to get the Berger 70 VLD's shootin but nothing doing. That particular tube will not shoot anything over 60gn.
Gonna try the lightweights next.

See you in March. (What happened to April?:()

Savage

Roy,
The recoil lug that Sharp Shooter Supply sells for the Savage is oversized, precision ground, with a lug for locating in the barrel notch when swapping barrels. How is that not a real recoil lug?

As for the barrel nut. I like the idea of setting my own headspace which I can do with the barrel nut and am able to obtain a crush fit, if desired, with new brass. Once a Remington is headspaced and indexed to that receiver, you are stuck with that configuration. I have several blueprinted Remington actions with Kreiger and Hart barrels set up as switch barrel rigs. The difference between one of these rifles is that the price of one of my Remingtons is beyond the price of my single shot blueprinted Savage action with three match grade barrels. Seems like common sense to me.
Chino69

Last edited:
Larry Racine

Only reason I see to get rid of the nut and shoulder a Savages barrel is to make switch barrel rifles like Larry Racine produces. Now thats a cool system.

Tell me a little more about this fellow's system.
Thanx,
Chino69

chino69

I'll try the link method
http://www.lprgunsmith.com/index.htm

Actually nothing radical and I'm sure others have done it before. Can be done to Remys and other actions also. Larry just happens to be a Savage guru;)
I like the idea of a three minute switch right at the bench

Last edited by a moderator:
barrel with nut???

I looked at the pics of Larry's switch barrel with the nut cut on the end. For that to work you eliminate the barrel nut right? And set the headspace just like a Remmy? That would certainly give you rapid changes, but it eliminates the do-it-yourself barrel swaps us Savage shooters have come to love. Our only expense is a pre-fit barrel and a go-gauge.

Am i missing something here?

Tiny

Roy,
The recoil lug that Sharp Shooter Supply sells for the Savage is oversized, precision ground, with a lug for locating in the barrel notch when swapping barrels. How is that not a real recoil lug?

As for the barrel nut. I like the idea of setting my own headspace which I can do with the barrel nut and am able to obtain a crush fit, if desired, with new brass. Once a Remington is headspaced and indexed to that receiver, you are stuck with that configuration. Seems like common sense to me.
Chino69

DITTO :cool:

I don't use a go-gage, I use a FL sized case to set headspace and have had no problems doing it this way. I don't mind spending 10 minutes using trial and error to get the headspace just right.

I looked at the pics of Larry's switch barrel with the nut cut on the end. For that to work you eliminate the barrel nut right? And set the headspace just like a Remmy? That would certainly give you rapid changes, but it eliminates the do-it-yourself barrel swaps us Savage shooters have come to love. Our only expense is a pre-fit barrel and a go-gauge.

Am i missing something here?

Tiny

No Tiny you've missed nothing. Those tubes need to be smithed just like a conventional tube. The price will be higher than a Savage prefit too as you would need to pay the smith for the contouring,threading,headspacing and of course the nut on the wrong end.
Definitely not the ticket for most Savage shooters but I still think they're cool:cool: Now if I owned a Remy........

Back