Savage Pre-Fit barrel ?

C

CHeetahman

Who is making the best pre-fit chambered barrels for the savages?? I see that Pac-nor and Shilen are selling them. Anyone have any good results using any of the wildcat or improved chambers in either of these?

Savage pre-fit barrels

I got a 20-222 chambered Pacnor SSSM 3-groove pre chambered form my BVSS Mod 12 and it is really really good! Shoots itty bitty groups and at 3900fps copper is non existent...!

The chamber is straight and chatter free... I could not have chambered it any better.

Have other Pacnor barrels all blanks and I know 4 of them are EXCELLENT! The one is still a blank, so don't know about it.

Have not tried a pre-fit Shilen but have had a lot of Shilen blanks and have been tops. One .22 Shilen I have is one agging little sucker!!!

Don't forget about Lothar Walther pre-fits... Got one in .223... It's outstanding!

cale

Savage pre-fit barrels

I have two pre-fits from Pac Nor and two from Sharp Shooter Supply. SSS uses Douglas which are not hand lapped whereas Pac Nor laps their barrels. I am not disappointed in either supplier. The Pac Nor barrels are three groove Super Match barrels that broke in very easy.
Chino69

Savage Pre-fit barrel

Just got my Shilen premium target barrel a 1-12 twist in .204. Fired a few test loads with 2015 behind 40 grain bergers at 200 yards in very windy cold weather 44 degrees and that is cold weather here in central Florida. It looks good and will work up some loads with different powders. craig

How tight

are the chambers on the pre-fit barrels you've worked with? Are they somewhere between SAAMI loose and benchrest ,neck turning tight? Inquiring minds need to know.

are the chambers on the pre-fit barrels you've worked with? Are they somewhere between SAAMI loose and benchrest ,neck turning tight? Inquiring minds need to know.

Your choice. Shilen for example list more than 100 reamers. Most, I think, are SAAMI minimum. If they are a tight neck, then the neck size is listed. For example they have 4 choices with a 222. 5 choices with a 6BR. I dare say that none of the pre-fit barrels coming from a custom barrel makers will have a loose factory type chamber with throat too long to be useful. Most will allow you to send a mockup round to set the freebore with.

luck, tiny

Pre-fit barrels

Get on Pac Nor or Shilen's website and look at their chambering page. You'll see everthing from 6PPC tight necks to regular hunting calibers; it's your choice. The chambers I've gotten from Pac Nor were reamed with the reamer I sent them and I had them use their reamers as well. While I did not check the chambers in a lathe with a dial indicator, nothing in their performance would suggest they weren't chambered right. They have all shot very well.
Chino69

Savage

Have a .250 neck short lead Pac- Nor 28 inch no taper on my 112 . Shoots great, I am going to try a Shilene on my next project. Most of the +higher cost barrels are super.

Check out savage shooters , that's where the best information on savages is at

They say there's a bad barrel in every batch sometime, and I guess I have it. Pre-fit 6.5-284 PacNor, no turn neck on a 112 action. Just won't shoot well. Sent it back, they said nothing wrong. My previous barrel was a SSS Douglas and it shot very well. No more PacNor's for me.

Pac Nor

They say there's a bad barrel in every batch sometime, and I guess I have it. Pre-fit 6.5-284 PacNor, no turn neck on a 112 action. Just won't shoot well. Sent it back, they said nothing wrong. My previous barrel was a SSS Douglas and it shot very well. No more PacNor's for me.

I have several Pac Nors and they all shoot well. I wouldn't hesitate getting another one.
Chino69

Pac Nor gets my vote

I have several Pacs.....
20 VT..20PT..223AI..6BR..260...260 AI...6XC...358 Win..
all pre fits on Savage actions up & running...built to my specs to the 'T'..all very accurate & clean very easy & no copper fowling...very happy with their product...especially when you get a factory barrel with a long throat and takes twice as long to get it to shoot decent...as with my last two Tikkas..my second barrel choice would be Lothar Walthar or Shilen...all of these usually require at least a 10 week wait...

Another Savage barrel option...

I have used all of the mentioned barrels for my Savage rifles with the exception of Lothar Walther barrels and have had really good success with all of them but thought I would mention Kevin Rayhill's Benchmark barrels. He can make any barrel you wish and would probably have about any reamer for the caliber you decide to go with. He know the Savage rifle inside and out. Kevin stays really busy but I've never had to wait 10 weeks for anything he's done for me. The good thing about Kevin is he'll back up his barrels 100 % and the Benchmark barrels I've had shot really well. Just thought I would mention this as no one else has so far.

Rodney

Last edited:
Benchmark barrels

The good thing about Kevin is he'll back up his barrels 100 % and the Benchmark barrels I've had shot really well. Rodney

I have heard a fair amount of satisfied customers with Benchmark barrels...
Is there a direct means of contacting Kevin at Benchmark...?
Does he produce Button or Cut rifleing..?

I remember a noteable shooter a few years ago at Raton talking very favorably about the consistentcy of Benchmark barrels.

TIA Rodney,
Cale

Benchmark Barrels

Cale, Kevin and Janet Rayhill own and operate Stockade Gun Stocks which produce a number of good stocks but when he builds you a barrel /rifle or rebarrels your rifle he uses Benchmark barrels unless you specify another barrel. I guess he is a dealer for them and I'm not sure how to contact Benchmark directly as they do not advertise much. I had never heard of Benchmark barrels until Kevin started doing work for me . I will have to say I have been happy with both . Here is the link to Kevin's web site:
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

Rodney

Same situation for me !!!

I am agonizing over the same thing !!!:confused:
Trying to decide which pre-fit for my model 10 Tactical in 308 can
be difficult. SSS has a lot of experience in this field with the Douglas XX,
Pre-fit Shilen's can be expensive (match grade or super match grade),
Pac Nor has had alot of happy and unhappy customers...
Then there is the gunsmith who will custom chamber your rifle with
a Hart,Boughton etc.
Do I really need a hand lapped barrel for my Savage ,will the accuracy or
the Doughlas XX unlapped really make a differance ??:rolleyes:
Northland shooting supply is offering pre-fit shilen's at a good price but
18 week waiting list will be tough:eek:
Your info here is a great help and lastly could another factory sav
barrel shoot good enough for Me ??
Thanks
John

Shilen pre-fit prices

Shilen pre-fits are available much cheaper than directly from Shilen.

Option 1 - Jerry the BarrelMan. See Jerry's web page at http://thebarrelman.com/. His contact info is listed there. $246 for a SS Match versus $299 at Midway. You can get it in any caliber that Shilen list a reamer with your preferred twist and length. Only for $278 for a pre-fit SS Select Match. My experiences with Jerry in the past have been great but I have never done the pre-fit yet.

Dimensions (inches) Contour # A B C
Savage Sporter* 1.060 .585 22
Savage Heavy Sporter 1.060 .685 26
Savage Varmint 1.060 .800 26
Savage Bull Barrel 1.060 1.00 26
Savage Magnum 1.120 .630 26

Retail Prices
Chrome-moly Match Grade (blued finish) $ 228.00
Stainless Match Grade $ 246.00
Stainless Select Match $ 278.00
* Sporter - - - .284 & down

Note: Because of all of the variations in Savage products over the years, please
be prepared to request your shank size when ordering.

Standard Shanks - 1.060 x 20tpi
Magnum Shanks - 1.120 x 20tpi

For better details see Shilen's site at http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

Option 2- Accuracy Arms. http://www.accuracyarms.com/Shelin_Savage.htm

Retail Prices

Chrome-moly Match Grade (blued finish) $225.00
Stainless Match Grade $ 239.00
Stainless Select Match $ 269.00

All prices reflect a 3% cash discount and Standard UPS Ground Shipping is included.

You can get anything that Shilen stocks a reamer for. These are some of the best deals I known of on premium BR quality barrel.

Luck,

tiny

Shilen drop in for me !!

Thanks Tiny !!
Tried to e mail and call accuracy arms today and left message,could be off
for gunshow or something :D
Next up will be a gunsmith to install that puppy ;)
John from
Tobyhanna,PA

Do it yourself!!!

Unless you are majoily mechanically challenged, consider doing it yourself. I doubt you will find a gunsmith that will charge less than $60-70 to swap barrels. You might. You need an action wrench ($49 for the Wheeler action wrench at Midway on sale) and a barrel nutwrench, usually $29. You also will need a go-gauge (less than $20) for your caliber to set the headspace. I don't personally use a no-go gauge. I snug up to the go-gauge, then back off exact 1/32 (0.0015") of a turn and make a mark. Then tighten the barrel nut making sure the barrel doesn't turn on you. These are one time purchases.

That is the beauty of a Savage and the barrel nut. I had never swapped a barrel in my life until a year ago. Know I have 5 aftermarket customs for the one Stevens action I own. I rarely keep a barrel on more than a few weeks. I even had a rear entry action wrench built that allows me to swap barrel without pulling the scope. 15 minutes max. It is a snap once you have done it once. Find someone local to show you once or just follow the instructions on the web.

To me thats the great thing about Savages. Their accuracy is just another plus. Get one stock you like the feel of, one good scope, and add as many premium barrels you want for less than $300 a barrel. I have almost a dozen Remmies in my safe. I was a life long big green fan. Since I got this Stevens (Savage) I have spent 90% of my time shooting it. Have a couple of my Remmies blueprinted with good synthetic stocks, Shilen triggers, and premium barrels. They shoot wonderful........... but I've got well over $1,500 in each gun including the scope. I can't afford a safe full of these things. However, I can blueprint one Savage action, get the stock I really like and a 2 or 3 of barrels for the cost of one decked out Remmy.

I can honestly tell the wife, "No I haven't brought another gun!!!!". She never asked about a new barrel.....:D:D:D. Just kiddin, the wifey knows about my addiction. :p

luck, tiny

Last edited:
Back