savage mark 2 tr

D

dcahilly

looking to start bench rest shooting .is this a bench rest gun. not everybody likes savages but I do,if this isnt whats a good savage to start out with

If you have a club or group to shoot with........check out their rifles and the type of classes they shoot...check with them how that rifle would fit.

i started out with a savage mark II. i then had to buy a puker 10/22. where to start with the savage action? lets start out with no recoil lug. then no bolt lug is the major item. i had one rebarreled with a shilen 4 groove ratcet barrel when shilens first came out with it. allow me to tell you it is a amzing tree rat buster!! it suck's floppy donkey balls as a match rifle, even with a tuner and hopewell method of tuning!!! the trigger can be gotten down to single oz's if you have acenterfire spring and time to play with it. they make tree rat busting sons of a gun. match rifles they wil;l never be UNLESS you are shooting in a class just for factory barreled rimfires that allow you to pillar and glass bed them and trigger mods. if not they are nothing more than dirt cheap hunting rifles. trust me i have several old savage rifles that i started out with and moved up to better actions.

If you hate the easy way, have excellent machining skills or a big budget, you can get the Sav Mark II to shoot. We are just finishing up my Savage BTVS project. We ended up throwing out most of the Savage factory parts except for the receiver, bolt and stock. Actually the c-clip that holds the ejectors had to be modified to function with the new tighter Eley EPS chamber. A new full length receiver block was fitted with a Jewel Winchester trigger and the action was converted to a single shot. The new block that is roughly 1.0 X 1.5 X 6. The stock was then machined to accept and support the new block/receiver. The receiver assembly is now extremely stiff and it is solidly supported it's entire length. Also, the receivers mid-attachment point was moved to the rear of the block and a full length scope rail was used. The Savage receiver was threaded for a new Shilen 4-groove ratchet barrel. All the above was done by a shooting enthusiast who is also a very talented machinist.
I am still tweaking the vonArhens tuner and testing numerous lots of ammo. Today, with the current tune and ammo, the gun with shoot a 248-249 USBR 50 yd target indoors. The near term goal is 248-249. To look at the gun, it looks stock except for a the tuner...kind of like a '57 Chevy with a 600 HP and fat tires.
What is the point of all this? It is fun and different but not much less cost than full custom. For me, it is all about the hunt.

Back