savage 204 lrpv

Codeman

I'm having trouble getting my lrpv to shoot like I think it should.
1-When tighting the action screws should the top two be tight and the tang one snug or the top and tang tight and middle one snug? (I understand that the goal is not to put the action in a bind)
2- What other calibers are compatible with this bolt face (204)?
3 - Who makes prefit barrels? Pacnor? and how hard is it to change barrels yourself.

Thanks, Cody

Lrpv

Cody,
these are typically very salty...................But.... Factory rifles are just that... Most need a bit of work to really get to shoot'n.

I'd skim bed the action to the stock to get a true fit and reduce binding or stress. Then hand tight'n all three about the same (snug by hand) and I "should" start to improve. I bedded a couple of .204 LRPV and both really responded!.. Bigtime!

2- What other calibers are compatible with this bolt face (204)?
Any case of the .223 bolt face family... (Course Savages can switch bolt faces, so pretty unlimited potential...)

3 - Who makes prefit barrels? Pacnor? and how hard is it to change barrels yourself.
Let's see, Pacnor, Shilen, Lothar Walther and a buncha others... Careful, once ya try a custom tube, factory barrels kinda get pitched in the closet..!

Go here for all the Savage info you'll want............ www.savageshooters.com
Good luck,
cale

1-When tighting the action screws should the top two be tight and the tang one snug or the top and tang tight and middle one snug? (I understand that the goal is not to put the action in a bind)

The action behind the middle action screw floats. Tighten the front and middle screws but do not tighten the rear screw so that you are flexing the rear of the action.

My 204 LRPV shoots extremely well this way but not well at all if the front and rear screws are tight but the middle is not tight.

All good advise so far

I bedded mine, don't tighten the rear screw very much.

I also sanded that black stock smooth and painted it. Now it is much slicker and slides consistently on the bags.

It shoots 28.2grs of Varget and 39gr Blitzkings pretty good now. Use a manual and work up your own loads.

I'm just a rookie too but I used JB Weld

This is only the 2nd rifle I have ever tried to bed. I used JB Weld and I put Kiwi shoe polish on the action and barrel to keep it from sticking. I also drilled several small holes in the aluminum bedding block so the JB Weld would stay for sure.
Search for bedding and you will find several different materials, I just had that out in the garage so I thought I would try it.
The gun was driving me nuts and I had to do something. It would routinely shoot 2 tiny groups out of 5 shots, 2 in this hole and 3 in the other. Now it keeps them all toghether.

Good luck,
Dave

Savage bedding

Groups greatly improved with less "5 th round flyers" after properly bedding my mdl. 12BVSS, originally a 243, then re-chambered to 6BR. Brownells "Steel Bed" was used. Big improvement!:)

Back