Samie chamber

Worker

Saami chamber

Does chambering a chamber to standard Saami specs translate to excessive freebore ?

Last edited:
Does chambering a chamber to standard Saami specs translate to excessive freebore ?

The SAAMI chamber dimensions vary as to each cartridge as taken from its original design by whoever designed it. Normally these chambers tolerances are +0.010" over where benchrest chambers are allowed much less. The dimensions I mention are from Maximum cartridge to Minimum chamber (A DIRT ALLOWANCE).

Confused?? For example the 30-06 vs the 30-03. Where the original 30 Government chamber, the30-03 had a freebore to allow for the 220 grain bullet coming from the 30-40 Kraig. The officially adopted "30 cal 1906" had a freebore for the '30 ball"bullet, about 178 grains but the Maximum cartridge dimension and the Minimum chamber dimensions remained unchanged in the case of the 30/1903 vs the government accepted 30/1906..

Additionally, the free bore of a chambering is not necessarily a strict amount. All SAAMI chamberings have a "lawyers" freebore--i.e. excessive.

Still confused?? Me too!!! Looking through the SAAMI standards manual, nothing is "standard"!!!

Just received new barrel

Chambering for a 22-250 12"twist this is my varmint/predator rifle. I want to shoot 53gr V-max-64gr Bergers .I'm satisfied if I can make consistent hits at 400yds on prairie dogs. From looking at specs on SAAMI reamers I'll have a .139 throat. Will that be ok ? Another shooter says with zerofree bore I can get another 1,000 rounds out of a barrel.... Gunsmith says he's all caught up and maybe he's cutting the chamber today ?

Just now I looked at the SAAMI drawing for the chamber of a .22-250 and the freebore calculates to .0607 with a tolerance of +.015. The throat angle was listed as 2 degrees per side. Where did you get your information?

I doubt I was reading prints correctly

Gunsmith is going to chamber my rifle with a standard SAAMI reamer. I'll be able to shoot a variety of bullets with different OGIVE's

Back