Sako 6ppc V133 question..

kolineman

Weather is getting nicer and going to start reloading for the Sako I picked up this winter, 6ppc repeater that hasn't ever been shot.

Question I have- after reading countless articles on guys using 58gr and 65gr Vmax out to 300 for varmints and coyotes with incredible accuracy, I'm waning to go that route. I am finding conflicting data on what might be max loading on this...

V133 power, new Norma 6ppc brass, CCI Br primer. I've heard this round likes to be pushed, but this is my first experience with a 6ppc. I reload a bunch, just looking for an area that I might be seeing or feeling pressure signs is all. I would like to get all the accuracy out of her with these couple possible bullets as I can. I know at some charges near peoples guns maximum charge that they shoot bug holes.

Thanks for any advice.

Suffice to say, the loads we shoot in "The Competitive Arena" are not found in any loading manual.

Your little Sako will have a generous neck clearance if you use the Norma Brass, probably around .004 to .005. This is really not a huge problem considering your requirements, but if you use Lapua 220 Russian Fireformed in, you can tighten it up.

Most of these Rifles have a chamber neck in the vicinity of .2715 to .272. The body of the chamber also is a tad larger than what most Benchrest Rifles have, so your sizing die should reflect that.

I would get some H322 and try it. In reality, 133 works better with upper window loads, where you do not want to go to with the Sako. Consider around 26 grns of H322 to give you around 3000 fps with a 68 grn bullet.

That is a very valuable rifle and desirable for Factory Class target shooting. Are you sure you want to use it up dragging around poking at coyotes? You can accomplish the same result with a lot less rifle. Just sayin....

Rick

thank you..

Grey Fox- it wont be getting as much as a scratch on it...most going to be using off the back porch, on bags, calling a few coming out of the bottoms at 250-300 yds. For most calling I take the Tikka T3, 22-250. I ended up with this gun, along with 2 others, from an estate auction last year, bought a 22ppc and another 6ppc, both single shots, new as well. Those two are safe queens for awhile, thus the reason I'm breaking the repeater in and see what it'll do. I attached a couple pics for ya...she sure is pretty that's for sure. Just pulled my Vortex 15-60 off the 6br to do the testing with, should have plenty of scope:)

Jackie- when and if I get the two single shots out, I will be taking the time to work with the Lapua 220 brass. Just thought considering with what I'm looking for here, I could accomplish it well enough with the Norma stuff. Why its not Lapua, the new Norma brass I got is looking to be pretty consistent. I thought H322 would be a good choice, I have some here, but many have been saying they have had good look with the V133 around 3500-3550 area with that 58 gr. Vmax, I guess there is only one way to find out. I was getting this info from a Sako forum I belong to...but, Ill definitely start in a safe area and work up.

Ill be working up some loads within the next week, Ill definitely let you guys know how she shoots. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 436
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Grey Fox- it wont be getting as much as a scratch on it...most going to be using off the back porch, on bags, calling a few coming out of the bottoms at 250-300 yds. For most calling I take the Tikka T3, 22-250. I ended up with this gun, along with 2 others, from an estate auction last year, bought a 22ppc and another 6ppc, both single shots, new as well. Those two are safe queens for awhile, thus the reason I'm breaking the repeater in and see what it'll do. I attached a couple pics for ya...she sure is pretty that's for sure. Just pulled my Vortex 15-60 off the 6br to do the testing with, should have plenty of scope:)

Jackie- when and if I get the two single shots out, I will be taking the time to work with the Lapua 220 brass. Just thought considering with what I'm looking for here, I could accomplish it well enough with the Norma stuff. Why its not Lapua, the new Norma brass I got is looking to be pretty consistent. I thought H322 would be a good choice, I have some here, but many have been saying they have had good look with the V133 around 3500-3550 area with that 58 gr. Vmax, I guess there is only one way to find out. I was getting this info from a Sako forum I belong to...but, Ill definitely start in a safe area and work up.

Ill be working up some loads within the next week, Ill definitely let you guys know how she shoots. Thank you for your help.

I tried the Norma cases with my 3400+ fps 68 grn load, and they were hammered in short time. If you try to push a 58 grn AMax at 3550 with the Norma, I suspect you will see the same results.

For what it is worth, the latest crop of 220 Russian isn't much better in the load window many of us have been shooting in for years. Starting at The Nationals last year, all I can get is about 3 firings before they do not want to size, and the primer pockets are getting real loose.

Everybody says that Lapua has changed nothing, but in my opinion, they are doing something different.

Hey, that's cool...it's your to do with as you see best. Just sayin... I've seen that rifle sell in the last few years for $1700 unfired. Once you start running bullets through it, that value is significantly reduced. But then, I feel a lot like you. I don't have any safe queens. If I have them, I shoot them..
Rick

Agreed!

Greyfox- agreed! It is quite a nice looking rifle, one that I will definitely cherish for years to come. As far as the price, that's right in the area that I've been seeing lately as well, even up to nearly 2k....so definitely one to hold one to. I will keep ya informed on how she does. Have a good one.

Weather is getting nicer and going to start reloading for the Sako I picked up this winter, 6ppc repeater that hasn't ever been shot.

Question I have- after reading countless articles on guys using 58gr and 65gr Vmax out to 300 for varmints and coyotes with incredible accuracy, I'm waning to go that route. I am finding conflicting data on what might be max loading on this...

V133 power, new Norma 6ppc brass, CCI Br primer. I've heard this round likes to be pushed, but this is my first experience with a 6ppc. I reload a bunch, just looking for an area that I might be seeing or feeling pressure signs is all. I would like to get all the accuracy out of her with these couple possible bullets as I can. I know at some charges near peoples guns maximum charge that they shoot bug holes.

Thanks for any advice.

Don't know if this will help but I have a sako heavy barreled single shot 6ppc (l461 action) that shoots pretty good with 58vmax and 38.5 v130. Velocity runs around 3500 fps. I turned up 50 lapua cases to .269 as the factory chamber is .272. V133 seemed a little slow for the 58 Vmax. This is just my experience in this one rifle.

Don't know if this will help but I have a sako heavy barreled single shot 6ppc (l461 action) that shoots pretty good with 58vmax and 38.5 v130. Velocity runs around 3500 fps. I turned up 50 lapua cases to .269 as the factory chamber is .272. V133 seemed a little slow for the 58 Vmax. This is just my experience in this one rifle.

Forgot to mention that I am jumping these little bullets .070 into the rifling. This leaves plenty of bullet in the case. This rifle has a long throat and you would have a hard time reaching the rifling if you wanted to.

Forgot to mention that I am jumping these little bullets .070 into the rifling. This leaves plenty of bullet in the case. This rifle has a long throat and you would have a hard time reaching the rifling if you wanted to.

I meant 28.5 grains of V130. I doubt you could get 38.5 grains in that case which is a good thing!

Martin Zuck- thank you for the info. I'm gonna be sending some bullets downrange with it next week, we will see what it has in store!

sako

My dad had one. It didn't shoot a .250 more like a .500. It was in 6ppc. It wouldn't shoot with a tight neck ppc. good luck, Doug

sako

Sorry man, That sounded kinda negative. For what you want it for a half inch will be fine. If that old coyote gets in a quarter mile he oughta be history. Doug

Nothing negative Doug...

Doug Casner - no offense taken!

I'm totally not expecting it to shoot with a tight neck gun at all. But.. they do have a great reputation for shooting good. I'm thinking with some good reloads it should be somewhere in the .3-.5 pretty consistently. I'm putting together the first loads for it this weekend. Gonna break the barrel in and get it on paper. Once I get 20-30 rounds down it and its cleaning up decent, I'll start working on something a little more exact.

Have a good weekend.

And yes, if he is to get within a 1/4 mile, he's going to be dead!

Last edited:
Sako 6 ppc

I had two in the late 80's and a 22 ppc also.

I shot H322 and a 68g berger.

Today, if I was shooting that rifle, I would start out with a Sierra 70g blitz king with LT32, H322, or N133.

Your rifle is worth a lot of money....you should think about that issue....others have brought up the reasons why.

Worth a lot of money??

Ok, you avoid shooting it so it retains it's "value". Then, you sell it. You then spend the money, looking for another "value" that you will be scared to use in it's intended purpose because you are afraid you will hurt it's "value".

Gee. Sounds like fun. Sign me up.

This is a line of thinking that is propagated by the crowd that can tell you the price of everything, but realize the value of nothing.

Much like the "collector car" crowd. You buy a car, and keep it in a garage or warehouse so nothing can hurt it's "value". People come and look at it, and marvel at it's "value". When the time is right, you sell it to someone else who will then keep it in a garage or warehouse until he finds someone else to buy it, and so on, and so on.

God forbid someone actually drive it. That might hurt it's "value".

The value in that Rifle is the memories you will have going to the Range, finding the combinations it likes, possibly garnering a few "bragging rights", and taking pride in allowing it to achieve it's full potential.

Last edited:
It is valuable...

Yes, the gun is valuable, but I'm wanting to work up some loads for it nevertheless. Like I stated earlier, it will never see anything but sandbags...I'm excited to see how she performs.

use em

Ive got an old mk. 5 weatherby in .257 I got when I was about 18. Its got some dings in it it looks like its been used but I didn't buy it to resell. Ive got a lot of memories with that old rifle. Deer,antelope,coyotes. I even shoot my old pre 64 Winchesters. Doug

Back