Sako 22PPC neck sizing

Steelringer

Looking for someone who might own a Sako A1 single shot in 22PPC as I do. Using new Lapua 220Russian brass. Noticed the necks are 0.015" thick. Was hoping not to neck turn, but do not know the factory neck chamber dimension. Loaded rounds come out to 0.253". Anybody else have one of these Sako Varminters, and know the chamber neck size? All else fails, I would have to do a chamber cast.
S.

So, your loaded rounds

Looking for someone who might own a Sako A1 single shot in 22PPC as I do. Using new Lapua 220Russian brass. Noticed the necks are 0.015" thick. Was hoping not to neck turn, but do not know the factory neck chamber dimension. Loaded rounds come out to 0.253". Anybody else have one of these Sako Varminters, and know the chamber neck size? All else fails, I would have to do a chamber cast.
S.

Do not fit the chamber? If so, the gun has an aftermarket barrel with a tight neck I'm guessing. Should be marked on the barrel by the smith if so. Other option is to find some NOS 22 PPC sako brass.

Dummy round

if they go in, shoot 'em, measure the fired necks

Don't Force Them!

> YEP <

Another suggestion... Make a dummy round (no primer/powder, only bullet)... You'll need to do it anyway to find the leade in the throat for seating depth... As Al said, don't force.. Nice an gental, if there is resistence.. STOP.

If factory, I'd bet it's a .250 .252 range neck..

Steel,

I have one of those original Sako 22ppc's with factory barrel. I also have some fired Sako factory ammunition that I can measure this weekend. I'll try to measure up by Sunday evening.

Don

22PPC rounds

Guys,
Good points. Will take heed. Will see what Kearney comes up for a measurement. My barrel is a
factory one. Thanks for the help.
S.

Cooper Model 21 / 22 PPC

I have a Cooper Varminter Model 21 in 22 PPC that I purchased in 1999. It has a .252 chamber neck diameter. Lapua brass must be turned to fit. With Berger 52 FB match bullets (.2247 at pressure ring) my loaded rounds measure .2492 at the case neck. Love the rifle, very accurate.

Sako 22 ppc

I just measured 20 new 22PPC factory cartridges from Sako. They all are .247 neck size. My 3 22PPC barrels yield fired Lapua brass neck diameters of .250 (Ruger) .251(Hart) and 251(McGowen). Chamber diameters will run about .001 more than fired cases. I will guess your Sako chamber is .252 and will require brass neck turned to .0125. Keep us posted.

22ppc usa

If the barrel has 22PPC USA on it, it is factory and you do not need to turn necks, at least not mine. If it doesn't have the USA part then it is an after market barrel and could well be tight necked.

Randy Jarvais

22ppc

The barrel is a factory 22PPC. I turned down the necks a bit and they work fine. Thanks for all the help. Been an interesting trip.
S.

Back