Sacramento Airgun Benchrest Results - Aug 25, 2013

22Jim

We had another great airgun benchrest match this Sunday August 25th at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. When I arrived early in the morning I had great hopes for a day of favorable conditions. The flags were limp and the air humid. very little was moving. I had hopes for some scores in the 740's. These conditions held until we took to the benches to sight in. The breezes slowly began to pick up and by the time the clock started on the first relay we had the "Ione Triangle" conditions we have come to know and love. We did not have the higher velocity winds we typically have, but a more diabolical recipe for failure, continuously switching winds. These may have been the most difficult winds we have shot in a while. It was almost impossible to shoot 2 consecutive shots in the same winds, and when the fools gold limp flags appeared, several of us paid a price for jumping on the trigger too quickly. It was a day of head shaking, with a few curses thrown in.

When the smoke cleared Russ H emerged as King of the Hill in the PCP division, winning the Light Varmint, Sporter and Open Classes and finishing 3rd in Heavy Varmint. Only a concentrated effort by Jim C and Matt L kept Russ from sweeping the PCP classes. Jim edged Matt in the Heavy Varmint class wining on X count. Stu H, Matt L and Jim C did their best to try and keep Russ honest in his wins but we were over matched on Sunday.

We had enough Piston Shooters participate that we set up a Piston Division. The Piston competition turned into a family feud with Scott S edging out son Jeff by 4 points in the Light Varmint-Piston class. Niko K also managed to top Jeff in a close match in the Sporter Piston Class. There was some great shooting from the piston division considering the conditions, a job well done.

When the last target of the match was pulled, the fun began. The adults left the building and the kids emerged, plinking was enabled. Eggs at 50, 100 and 112 yards, paint balls and .223 cases at 50 and 65 yards. Soda can mutilation was witnessed in spades. It was amazing watching those springer shooters taking out eggs at 100+ yards. There was some great shooters wielding those piston guns. We all had a blast.

I'd like to thank everyone for participating and helping with the set up and take down. I'm going to try and get one more shooting day in before duck season arrives and I have to leave for the rice field battle ground :D

Jim in Sacramento

BR_egg_zps2b272430.jpg

Scores-08-25-13_zpsc52f8199.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,
That looks like a tough place to shoot! Looks like Russ has my Dawson shooting well and congratulations on your HV win against the #6 HV shooter in the World, Matt L.! Hope I get to shoot with you folks someday!
Todd

Ione is a tough place to shoot

Hi Todd,

Ione is a tough place to shoot. I have never shot there without some challenging winds blowing. But I do think it teaches us a lot about shooting in the wind which benefits us when we travel to other matches, ala Matt at the Worlds. Russ does have that Dawson shooting well, it is really a nice rifle. I would love to shot with you some time, maybe we can all get together at the US Championships next year.

By the way nice shooting at the worlds as well.

Jim in Sacramento

Back