Rws

D

DSS

Does anyone have recent experience with RWS ammo? I'm thinking of R50 and Rifle Match in particular... It's been 5 years since I shot R50. Thanks.

Drew

So, just to make a short story longer.... about a year ago I sent my CM-2 off to masterclass to have some work done (I'm primarily into position shooting) and during the time while it was gone did alot of reading across the internet.

One of the concepts that caught my interest was that of percussion waves along the barrel from transiting from the breech to the muzzle when you fire, and running back and forth, slightly enlarging the bore where ever the wave is. This was from a website dealing with high power rifles, but the concept seemed physically sound to me.

Having some time on my hand and no rifle to shoot I worked up an excel spread sheet to calculate where the wave would be in relation to the muzzle velocity of every 22lr round I could get data on. (I think the high power shooters who reload their own tailor the rounds velocity to their barrel length, but in rimfire your at the mercy of the manufacturer).

I have a lot of different rounds on hand right now, from testing and just got my rifle back from a smith who was helping me with some sight work. I'm not going to do major testing until I get my new higher power scope mounted and can accurately see the target (right now I'm using a weaver 4x and it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint where exactly I'm aiming) but I did shoot some R50 a couple of days ago from 25+ yards off a bipod and it seemed to shoot very well, also corresponding to my spreadsheet, and did not have any 9s that I felt were not my fault. I forget how many I shot at the sighters 5-8 shots at each or so and got groups about .15 - .18. I'm no bench rest shooter by any means and haven't been shooting very long but I was excited by it's performance so far in my rifle. It'll be at least a week until I can test out to 50 meters with the new scope.

From ammo testing last spring I have found a correlation between the barrel calculations and speed of the ammo, but it is not yet truely statistically significant due to a low total round count of tests and using a 4x scope at 50 yards. If anything, at least for me and my barrel it has narrowed down my testing to a smaller range of speeds to try for best performance.

Sean

I've shot it for a few years, but it's hard to find enough to test. I order from Shooters Choice, but have had mixed results. Last year, I asked for all the boxes ordered to be from the same lot, but they didn't have enough on-hand, so I got three different lots. Not a good thing when you're trying to win benchrest matches. I had the worst season in several years, mostly due to ammo.

This year, I ordered some and it was all the same lot, but it doesn't shoot as well as I'd like in my Winchester. It seems to be okay indoors in my new rifle, but time will tell how it will do outdoors.

I may break down and try Eley again. It seems to be better than ever.

I've shot it for a few years, but it's hard to find enough to test. I order from Shooters Choice, but have had mixed results. Last year, I asked for all the boxes ordered to be from the same lot, but they didn't have enough on-hand, so I got three different lots. Not a good thing when you're trying to win benchrest matches. I had the worst season in several years, mostly due to ammo.

This year, I ordered some and it was all the same lot, but it doesn't shoot as well as I'd like in my Winchester. It seems to be okay indoors in my new rifle, but time will tell how it will do outdoors.

I may break down and try Eley again. It seems to be better than ever.

That’s the problem with RWS they just never have enough stock. We recently arranged a test day with them at a local club and all they could bring was four batches of R50.

When you can find a good batch, it’s very good. I shot at a match in Germany late last year and borrowed one of the German rifles which had R50 select ammo and it shot very well.

We are lucky over here we can go to Eley and choose from 18 to 24 batches so it makes sense for us to stick with Eley.

Brian

sean, the reason your rifle is shooting great has nothing to do with wave lengths and bullet travel/ transistion. IT'S BECAUSE Alex bed your rifle and he is the best in the world. rimfire shooters are just now finding out what a rifle worked on by Alex is capable. world record holders in centerfire have known this for years. Sean I saw your rifle and it is perfect, not kinda sorta it's perfect. look at the bore center line and compare to the center of your stock it is perfectly alighned, it was not that way before.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, just to make a short story longer.... about a year ago I sent my CM-2 off to masterclass to have some work done (I'm primarily into position shooting) and during the time while it was gone did alot of reading across the internet.

One of the concepts that caught my interest was that of percussion waves along the barrel from transiting from the breech to the muzzle when you fire, and running back and forth, slightly enlarging the bore where ever the wave is. This was from a website dealing with high power rifles, but the concept seemed physically sound to me.

Having some time on my hand and no rifle to shoot I worked up an excel spread sheet to calculate where the wave would be in relation to the muzzle velocity of every 22lr round I could get data on. (I think the high power shooters who reload their own tailor the rounds velocity to their barrel length, but in rimfire your at the mercy of the manufacturer).

I have a lot of different rounds on hand right now, from testing and just got my rifle back from a smith who was helping me with some sight work. I'm not going to do major testing until I get my new higher power scope mounted and can accurately see the target (right now I'm using a weaver 4x and it is somewhat difficult to pinpoint where exactly I'm aiming) but I did shoot some R50 a couple of days ago from 25+ yards off a bipod and it seemed to shoot very well, also corresponding to my spreadsheet, and did not have any 9s that I felt were not my fault. I forget how many I shot at the sighters 5-8 shots at each or so and got groups about .15 - .18. I'm no bench rest shooter by any means and haven't been shooting very long but I was excited by it's performance so far in my rifle. It'll be at least a week until I can test out to 50 meters with the new scope.

From ammo testing last spring I have found a correlation between the barrel calculations and speed of the ammo, but it is not yet truely statistically significant due to a low total round count of tests and using a 4x scope at 50 yards. If anything, at least for me and my barrel it has narrowed down my testing to a smaller range of speeds to try for best performance.

Sean

Sean,

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve made the assumption you’re referencing “OBT” theory.

If so, I also investigated it several years ago in an attempt to confirm if it could be useful as a tool in rimfire. However, after studying pressure trace data and some of the FEA analysis that were available....I came to the conclusion it wasn’t possible to make any direct correlations between its controversial usefulness in centerfire and a potential worth in rimfire.

If you’ve gathered any test data that contradicts my findings, I’d be interested in taking a look. Shoot me a PM or email with your findings if it’s not too much trouble.

I’m working off the top of my head and I’m not sure I want to go back and look at my original research again, but if you show me anything interesting....I will.
It's no big deal if you can't because I've got enough things on my plate as is.

Thanks,
Landy

Reverse translating back in to French made the article easier to read for me but the gist was the same. I've had some luck with R50, and even better results with RWS 22mag. Ungodly expensive but it works very well for me. Merci mon ami, vous etes un bon hommme.

Thanks indeed, Paul

Paul, thanks for the link to the article. That's rather interesting. Looks like the R50 and R100 are certainliy capable of shooting well, but the interesting thing in this article is looking at the way it performs in different rifles. In fact, it looks like effectively every rifle was able to find a "good" lot. I kinda wish we had that available here in the states!

Has anyone seen something like this for Eley? Would they be putting smaller groups together than the RWS?

Drew

thanks

thanks so much for the eley testing pics and site
ifldned

Back