RWS primers

P

paul t

Has anyone found by using RWS 5341 primers and vihtavuori powder with their Loads for 308 for 600-1k distances that accuracy and consistancy of Loads has increased in comparisson with the Hotter primers.

Give me time to check it out. I've heard that the Brits favour the 5341 for their VV N550 loads behind 200-210 grain projectiles & I just bought a brick to check them out side by side with the CCI BRs I'm using at the moment.

Maybe next weekend.

i've been looking for a source in the U.S. for rws primer and have not been able to find one. can someone give me a starting point that actually gets me somewhere?

Give me time to check it out. I've heard that the Brits favour the 5341 for their VV N550 loads behind 200-210 grain projectiles & I just bought a brick to check them out side by side with the CCI BRs I'm using at the moment.

Maybe next weekend.
be interested in your observations john, regards paul.

i've been looking for a source in the U.S. for rws primer and have not been able to find one. can someone give me a starting point that actually gets me somewhere?

From accurate shooter. com pages

Many of our users have asked: “Where can one get RWS primers?” Unfortunately, RWS primers have not been directly imported into the USA for at least two years, and there are no plans to resume importation. None of the major vendors we polled, including Graf & Sons, MidSouth, MidwayUSA, and Natchez Shooters Supply, currently carry RWS primers. We discussed primer availability with Alan Newcombe, North American consultant for RUAG/RWS. Alan told us “The exchange rate and import duties are the problem. If RWS were to import primers right now, they’d have to cost $45-$50 per box of 1000. RUAG, RWS’s parent company, believes it could not sell sufficient quantities of primers at that price point, so there are no plans on the horizon to import RWS primers any time soon.”

RWS, hmmm!

Paul,

Because the comparitive flame test between primers I saw on a since shut down web page, I ran up two 5 case loads, one with ½ a grain less than I'm using with the CCIs & one with the same load. I shot 10 of my current load first (left over from my last match), followed with the 2 RWS loads, then 5 shots of the CCIs. Both the 10 & 5 shot string with the CCIs recorded a spread of 21 fps, but both the RWS loads, which recorded velocities you'd expect from the CCI experience had a spread of 42 fps & 43 fps.

I had hoped that I'd be able to virtually interchange primers without too much testing (as I have between CCI BRs Federal 210GMs & PMC Russians), but it looks like I'll need to fiddle - but with what? Frankly, It's a tad disappointing, because my 1200 yard loads have been using a formula that works up to now. I'll say one thing, though - if they don't clean up their act quickly, I can see twenty four hundred and something primers on the market double quick time.

rws and milder prm.

Hello John, I can see why your not to impressed with the RWS with that high vL spread, But think that by fine tuning seating depth or Load might produce better results, I was testing Load at 400y with my factory 308 blaser rifle, load consisted of 49g of n55o Lapua molly scenars 185g ,Lapua brass and fed gold match prms which has produced best accuracy to date in my rifle, I also had same Load but with remmington prms which i understand to be milder than the fed prms, The remmington load produced better accuracy than the fed prm Load, 1and half inch group at 400y av vl was 2680 fps will have to see how this Load shoots at 600- 1k think i stumbled on a Load that shoots v well in my rifle. paul.

Paul,

I've shot the RWS a while now in my F/TR rifle & my 1200 yard gun. Both are Millennium actions.

They are all fine shooting 155s with the F/TR rifle. I can't spot any difference between them & the PMC Russians I was using before, even though I know they have heaps more flame. Probably wouldn't even be using them except I ran out pf the PMC stuff.

It's a mixed bag with the 1200 yard gun though, but some of the issues might be from another source. It's been shooting fine at the shorts (1000 & 1100 yards) but I'm getting vertical issues at 1200 yards. Maybe it's the VXIII I have on that gun. I've never been totally sure of the tracking & repeatability & I'm about to slap a Sightron 36 Big Sky on it for a comparison. I have had one no fire (smacked the bugger hard enough to get full primer protrusion depth the second time) & one that needed a second thump to light up with this gun as well, but I've about discounted the Millennium as the cause. I've heard from a European friend that RWS primers don't like loose pockets & they do slip in pretty easy into pockets that the CCI BRs are snug in. I guess I could break out another 100 Lapuas, but it might be just as easy to go back to the CCIs.

I bought them in the first place to try with the 1200 yard gun because they are reputed to be good with double based powders & I shoot N550 in it. Damn, I hate it when there are too many variables about, but it's about time the Leupold went back for a checkup anyway.

John

Back