Rugar 10-22

R

ronaldmoiles

We have a semi-auto division category in our benchrest matches. What modifications to the Rugar will I have to make so that I have an accurate rifle?

Start with a good trigger assembly and then work your way up one piece at a time to see if you can further improve rifle accuracy. In no particular order; stock and stock bedding, barrel, scope mount, scope, bolt assembly. When you are done the only thing "stock" on your 10-22 will likely be the receiver. You can get a custom receiver too if you wish to go that far, or start with one if you don't currently have a 10-22. Oh and know the rules of your semi-auto matches so you don't do something to the rifle that will disqualify you. bob

Where I shoot, Wichita. KS, we actually have 2 semiauto classes. Stock which only allows trigger work, and a 7x scope max. Or unlimited which is just that with tuners and unlimited scope power. I would find out the rules first. Max

You need to go over the www.rimfirecentral.com They beat the poor little Ruger 10/22's to death over there.

I have a few of these guns that I have sunk a ton of money into. The first thing I would do is get a Green Mountain .920"x18" barrel. Then go to Then I would bed the action and first inch of the barrel as per instructions over on Rimfire Central Tips & Tricks Section. Then get you large VISA card out and call Tony Kidd and get one of his fine triggers and the receiver pin kit. I would not get a KIDD barrel simply for the fact the Green Mountain barrels shoot VERY WELL and are much cheaper. At some point I would get a bolt buffer - they replace the steel pin that keeps the bolt form coming out - they are all just about the same - buy the cheapest. Then to finish the limit on our VISA (on kiding CPC is vrey reasonable for their work), contact CPC and get a bolt with the head space trued, the rear of the bolt shaped to better function standard velocity ammo, engine turned for looks, and the firing pin pinned - at the same time get a hardened extractor as the factory ones wear and cause jams.

Stocks and barrels can be found at http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php
KIDD triggers at http://www.coolguyguns.com/
CPC is found at http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/

George

Travelor said it best. Do what he said, and you can't go wrong. And when it's all said and done, you'll have something that looks like this and shoots just as good as it looks...

nf_br_1.JPG

Thanks for all the info. I think I am ready to get started. If I were to have someone build up a 10-22 that's all tricked out and ready to go who would be the best person to have the gun built and how much money are we talking?

Where I shoot, Wichita. KS, we actually have 2 semiauto classes. Stock which only allows trigger work, and a 7x scope max. Or unlimited which is just that with tuners and unlimited scope power. I would find out the rules first. Max

I would be very interested in seeing your unlimited 10/22's. I compete with a Clark Custom but will be upping the annie with a KIDD Supergrade and a custom 3 inch forearm benchrest stock. I have a Fulgham rest and Edgewood rear bags. Have been shooting off a Bi-Pod but our matches have become very competitive.

Ronald,
Mine is for sale. It has a rare Jewell trigger assembly, a Shilen test barrel, Modified headspace bolt, and bolt buffer.
Butch

IMAG0042.jpg

Mine has a stock I made, decent trigger with aftermarket parts, Clerke barrel, and a Mueller 8.5-25x scope. It's punched some pretty good groups out and I think it could shoot near .25" if I do a bit of tweaking (testing the torque on the takedown screw and ammunition testing) and focus hard on shooting. After shooting single shot bolt-actions for awhile, shooting benchrest with a semi-auto makes you want to go a bit fast!

Before I give up on my Clark I will be upgrading to a Kidd trigger and adding a Whidden Gunworks Track Plate to the Bell and Carlson Odessey stock.

Any of you using the Kidd with the straight trigger shoe? The Clark was very accurate but the guilt edge seems to have gone. :(

Butch,

Thanks... I believe the stock helps shoot the rifle well a considerable amount. The fore-end is very long (leaves only about 3-4" of a 20" barrel sticking out) and the fore-end and toe are parallel so it just rocks right back on target and absorbs a lot of the recoil introduced by the bolt. Since I can't afford a Tony Kidd trigger and a lot of shooters can't either, I made the grip very well shaped and ambidextrous so it works equally shooting right or left handed and you don't have to strain your finger at all to get a good, consistent trigger pull with the triggers that just aren't to benchrest standards.

IMAG0030.jpg

One other thing I did to this rifle that I think is rather important is bed the scope mount. I remember reading Harold Vaughan's book and him saying they'll cause trouble if they aren't perfectly secured. I polished a release agent onto the receiver and the screws and bedded it with Devcon and haven't removed it since. I also like the Burris Signature rings... not needing to lap them is good.

I'm kinda surprised more people who want a benchrest 10/22 don't put them in actual benchrest stocks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here are some pictures of my Clark. It is pieces right now. Accuracy went away in the last two matches... Tomorrow the barrel will be borescoped, suspect lead build up in front of the chamber. Has been a very accurate rifle, I won a season championship with it it last season.

Ordered a Tony Kidd trigger and a Whidden Gunworks Track Plate for my Bell & Carlson Stock.

Clark-pieces.jpg

BellCarlson.jpg

whidplate01.jpg

Next discussion will be about barrel blocking a 10/22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some 10/22 pictures from practice before our matches:

left-1.jpg

right.jpg

31julrt.jpg

31julleft.jpg

Qoute from Tony Kidd "Once upon a time...

In the spring of '96 USAMU International and Olympic Rifle gunsmith Chuck Gartland and I were playing with the 10/22 rifle. Gene Clark and Simon Reynolds had just returned from England where they had tested a dozen Anschutz barreled actions at the Eley plant in hopes of finding the best lots of rimfire ammunition available for the AMU International Rifle Team. They found it! 1.5 million rounds of it! By the way USAMU now holds the Eley plant record for smallest group aggregate.

I have always wanted to visit England and was talking with Simon, who at the time was an English citizen, about his travels. We were looking over targets and I noticed that the groups from the Anschutz barreled actions were no smaller than Chucks tricked out 10/22. That $150 rifle shot great but that $10 trigger needed some serious help.

I knew I could improve on the Ruger single stage geometry and make a better hammer and sear. However no matter what I did, although better than stock, it was still a Ruger. I came to the conclusion that you just cant put enough parts in a Ruger trigger to make it good. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was redesigning the assembly. Obviously it had to be two stage, light, repeatable, and reliable.

While working on the prototype trigger, rifle shooter extraordinaire, Troy Lawton, came to me and asked if I could help him with his 10/22 trigger. His trigger was about 1 1/2 lbs and worked in some guns but not this gun. I told him about the new trigger and he wanted to check it out. Originally the 10/22 was going to be a Smallbore Silhouette rifle used for windy conditions. Using the 10/22 would allow Troy to engage targets quickly when the wind settled. His primary rifle would be an Anschutz bolt gun.

After a week with the prototype, Troy called to tell me the 10/22 with the KID trigger was going to be his primary rifle. It was as accurate as his Anschutz and the trigger was as good as his Anschutz so why shoot the Anschutz? Three weeks later Troy won the Smallbore Silhouette Nationals. This had never been done with an autoloader much less a 10/22.

I got busy and developed a safety and bolt hold open. I applied for and finally received a patent for the KID trigger. I ventured into a couple of bad business deals over the next few years and began to think I would never see this great trigger come to market. I owe a great deal of thanks to my family and many good friends for supporting, believing in, and pushing me to make this thing happen. What a learning experience this has been. But WOW! it's here and I have met a lot great people because of it. "

Good News bad news... No lead in the chamber or leade but need to look for caused my accuracy to go away. Theory is that the gun loosed up in the stock from shooting and that created slop. So some receiver bedding and pinning might be in order.
58844011.jpg

Bruce

Before I give up on my Clark I will be upgrading to a Kidd trigger and adding a Whidden Gunworks Track Plate to the Bell and Carlson Odessey stock.

Any of you using the Kidd with the straight trigger shoe? The Clark was very accurate but the guilt edge seems to have gone. :(

I have a couple Kidds with the flat trigger shoe. Like them a lot. Makes a directly back trigger press inherent. Dont know if one can swap the shoe yourself as Im too busted up to go pull one out of the safe.

I think you would like it.

GG

Back