Rotary wind flags

P

Pa bob

I'm looking for any and all rotary wind flags. Orlando Wind Flags Co has one but I'm looking some different ones. I saw one that I really liked but the owner couldn't remember the name of the company that made them or the address. All he remembered was he got them on the Internet. It has a wide circular band on which there are numbers under a normal flag. As the wind moves the flag that is solid on the band, the numbers let you know the angle the wind is coming from.
I hope I discribed thie clear enough.
Thanks in advance...
Bob

Is this something you think you need or something you know you need. I'm asking because there are a number of pretty good shots that use something more simple. Ed Watson has quite a few Hall of Fame points and all he ever used were some small and very simple flags. I will say that the reason he used those small flags was so he could set them higher (above the legal line) and nobody would realize it....but he beat us more than not!

Here's a link...Ed used flags half this size...

http://benchrest.com/flags/

This is something I had the chance to use and they made figuring the angle of the wind so easy. I actually shot one of my best ARA matches, not that I'm that good. My eyes aren't the greatest anymore and this wind indicator was very easy to see.
That's why I'm looking to buy or build a couple of them.
Thanks, Wilbur.......... Bob

Bob,

I use a set of old Wicks Double Tail Flags and they've always given me everything I could ask for. Because of the plastic being 2 colors, one red and one white, it's easy to see your angles, plus having the double sail cloth tails does more than you can imagine so far as saying when to shoot, or not to shoot. Plus, in my opinion, you should get a set of normal sized flags, then throw in a couple of double size flags to help you see what's happening out at the target (my eyes are getting bad too).

You can still get Wick's style flags through the Classifieds from a fella out here in MA, Ray Hill. He makes a great flag at a reasonable price.

Good luck,

Dave Shattuck

Most of the places I shoot

The wind is so switchy and the flags pointing in multiple directions, I wonder how people can process what they are seeing. I certainly struggle at trying to do it. I try to watch 8 items now and if one added the tails, that's 14 different pieces of information to try to compute. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Pete

Yes, folks tend to use what they can see well and on any given match day it may be the best. I'll try to help find some of those flags you're looking for. You may be better off, and save a little bit of cash if you made them yourself. That way you can change them every which way until you get them like you want them.

Those you are looking for has been used by the French here during the World Champs.
Nice way to visually the wind direction, but, at least for me, a bit confusing in the middle of the "wind mills field".
I just learned the wind by the way the flags show their colors, so being numbers, puzzles me. But again, it could work wonders for others.

Send an email to Christian Salva, a French gunsmith, he might know who made it.

Bob,s
I use a set of old Wicks Double Tail Flags and they've always given me everything I could ask for. Because of the plastic being 2 colors, one red and one white, it's easy to see your angles, plus having the double sail cloth tails does more than you can imagine so far as saying when to shoot, or not to shoot. Plus, in my opinion, you should get a set of normal sized flags, then throw in a couple of double size flags to help you see what's happening out at the target (my eyes are getting bad too).r

Dave Shattuck

I must agree with the above. The top three ARA shooters in Iowa all shoot Wick's style flags. The number one shooter in outdoor Unlimited in Iowa shoots Wick's style flags. He is currently ranked 7th in the country for outdoor agg. That's right, 7th in the country, out of over 500 registered shooters.

Ray Hill is a wonderful guy to do business with. He has spent hours on the phone and via e-mail with me to help my success in RFBR. This is my rookie season and I have failing eyes as well, but I am doing well. Wick's flags may well be a better option for you. No trouble at all seeing the angles. I only use the standard flags for 50yds. As mentioned above, the flags do not have cloth tails.Tails are made of very light surveyors tape. I do have one double size for setting up at 100. Food for thought.

Joseph Friedrich in California also shoots over Ray's flags. Perhaps you have heard of him. Record holder. Don't know why, but his card count is only 11 this season. His agg is 2331.8 though. I doubt it would be much less if he hit the 20 card rule, or more. I had to wait several extra days for my first order from Ray because they were in the middle of a 20 flag order from Joseph. Again, food for thought on flag selection. JMO...........Later

Last edited:
Bob,

I use a set of old Wicks Double Tail Flags and they've always given me everything I could ask for. Because of the plastic being 2 colors, one red and one white, it's easy to see your angles, plus having the double sail cloth tails does more than you can imagine so far as saying when to shoot, or not to shoot. Plus, in my opinion, you should get a set of normal sized flags, then throw in a couple of double size flags to help you see what's happening out at the target (my eyes are getting bad too).

You can still get Wick's style flags through the Classifieds from a fella out here in MA, Ray Hill. He makes a great flag at a reasonable price.

Good luck,

Dave Shattuck

I must agree with the above. The top three ARA shooters in Iowa all shoot Wick's style flags. The number one shooter in outdoor Unlimited in Iowa shoots Wick's style flags. He is currently ranked 7th in the country for outdoor agg. That's right, 7th in the country, out of over 500 registered shooters.

Ray Hill is a wonderful guy to do business with. He has spent hours on the phone and via e-mail with me to help my success in RFBR. This is my rookie season and I have failing eyes as well. Wick's flags may well be a better option for you. No trouble at all seeing the angles. I only use the standard flags for 50yds. I do have a double size for setting up at 100. Food for thought.

Joseph Friedrich in California also shoots over Ray's flags. Perhaps you have heard of him. Record holder. Don't know why, but his card count is only 11 this season. His agg is 2331.8 though. I doubt it would be much less if he hit the 20 card rule, or more. Again, food for thought on flag selection. JMO

Well, believe it or not I found them.
It turns out Dan Keeney makes them. I have a set ordered and should have them next week. I thought about making them if I couldn't find them but I'm glad I found them. It may take me 3 years to make them.
Thanks for all the replys.
Bob

Back