Rimfire & weather

Last tip. Do some homework, make some inquiries but drop your gunsmith......he doesn't have a clue & will not be helpful regarding benchrest anything.
Your barrel is pressed in and pinned. Several competent smiths are capable of fitting a barrel as Anschutz did or threading the reciever for a screwed in barrel.
A real gunsmith can do this probably, sounds like you are talking to a plumber.

IOSSO works well. Be careful. Use it on a short rod & patch or one of their nylon brushes so you can go back and forth in the throat. DON'T over do it, normally 5-6 strokes.

Last edited:
I agree with Tim...
First things first... change gunsmith, he shows not knowing enough. And a good gunsmith has a borescope to inspect the barrels. Being the first option changing the barrel only puts more fire about his talent...

Nobody shoots without a tuner.

I do. I don't need all the garbeldegook hanging off the barrel. Besides. I'm not about to Bubba my un-modified (read that as no M2 updates) US Springfield M1922M1. It shoots just fine the way it is.
Jon
IMG_0002_zpsdfba56e0.jpg

It's the top rifle. The 52 has since been sold.
IMG_0003_zps2d821e13.jpg

Cold weather rimfire ammunition

In cold weather (it gets frosty here in Oz in the winter) I have been experimenting with ELEY, 40-gr. Biathlon Match and
LAPUA, 40-gr. LR Polar Biathlon Solid.

I assumed that as the biathlon event is snow skiing and shooting the ammunition would be tailored for the cold conditions. It seemed to be ok.

As has already been mentioned I also found that Eley Tenex does not like the cold, but keeping it in my pocket and warming the barrel up did help quite a bit. Rifle is a 45 year old M54 Anschutz 1411 that still outshoots most of the opposition.

Also I batch my ammunition by rim to the top driving band length, even the best brands have a few in each box that deviate by + or - more than about 0.002in. The + shoot high, the - shoot low (by about 0.25in @ 50m). I have tested many targets to prove this.

* doghunter *

Last edited:
In cold weather (it gets frosty here in Oz in the winter) I have been experimenting with ELEY, 40-gr. Biathlon Match and
LAPUA, 40-gr. LR Polar Biathlon Solid.

I assumed that as the biathlon event is snow skiing and shooting the ammunition would be tailored for the cold conditions. It seemed to be ok.

As has already been mentioned I also found that Eley Tenex does not like the cold, but keeping it in my pocket and warming the barrel up did help quite a bit. Rifle is a 45 year old M54 Anschutz 1411 that still outshoots most of the opposition.

ets to prove this.
Also I batch my ammunition by rim to the top driving band length, even the best brands have a few in each box that deviate by + or - more than about 0.002in. The + shoot high, the - shoot low (by about 0.25in @ 50m). I have tested many targ
* doghunter *

now that is interesting but how much of that is actual length vs rim thickness deviation ?

I do. I don't need all the garbeldegook hanging off the barrel. Besides. I'm not about to Bubba my un-modified (read that as no M2 updates) US Springfield M1922M1. It shoots just fine the way it is.
Jon
IMG_0002_zpsdfba56e0.jpg

It's the top rifle. The 52 has since been sold.
IMG_0003_zps2d821e13.jpg

We're talking about benchrest rifles not Sgt York specials. Great pieces, lovely history, have fun, etc., but show up at any decent match with your M1's and your in for a butt kicking.

Rimfire Ammo Length Gauge

now that is interesting but how much of that is actual length vs rim thickness deviation ?

My gauge measures from the inside edge of the rim to the top of the driving band.

I posted a photo here when I first manufactured the gauge but here's another to save searching the threads.

* doghunter *

Attachments

• Rimgauge - 1s.jpg
    Rimgauge - 1s.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 229
Back