Rimfire or centerfire

N1YDP22

i live in maine and trying to choose from rimfire or centerfire.i have found a savage 6mmbr for $1200. i havent seen any 22 benchrest guns.i was just wondering what is shoot more in my area.

i live in maine and trying to choose from rimfire or centerfire.i have found a savage 6mmbr for $1200. i havent seen any 22 benchrest guns.i was just wondering what is shoot more in my area.
Centerfire score shooting. There are a number of rimfire shoots in Maine, but more centerfire matches.

i would travel to new hampshire to.do you know some of the clubs that do both?
None in NH. All 3 ranges that do IBS score shooting in Maine, (Orrington R&G in Orrington, Lincoln County in Damariscotta, and Capitol City in Augusta) do both. Every Wed night, Lincoln county does an indoor 22 shoot. It's off hand at 50 ft. Starts at 7 pm. There are about 6 shoots in St J's VT and down in Southington, CT, all IBS sanctioned score matches. Check your notification on top right, I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
You may want to take another look at that, there are several rimfire venues in Maine, NH, and Mass that shoot every month, you've got a good 15-20 matches and they are all registered matches.

Rimfire in Maine

This pertains to just benchrest shooting with the .22 rimfire and centerfire:

at this time Lincoln County Rifle Club (LCRC) has IR 50/50 rimfire matches but the real active IR 50/50 club is in Augusta...Capitol City. They hold lots of rimfire matches and a mid-week evening match during the warm months. Pete Wass runs the shoots. Few of the Capitol City members(other than Pete) seem to support the LCRC matches. Who knows why?

New Hampshire - Only club I know that holds rimfire matches is Country Pond. No CF BR that I know of.

LCRC also hosts two outdoor Winter rimfire matches in addition to the indoor matches Jim Pag mentioned. The Feb shoot was held last weekend, at 100 yds and there is another shoot on March 20th, at 200 yards...rimfire. Damariscotta certainly is a relatively easy drive from Mechanic Falls....into Auburn, Lewiston, RT 197 to Brunswick and pickup the RT 1 bypass through Bath to Damariscotta.

Centerfire score shooting is quite active in Maine. Jim mentioned the 3 ranges that are active. We start shooting in early April and finish the first weekend in October. You can see the full IBS score schedule for 2016 here...

http://internationalbenchrest.com/schedule/score.php

I like to shoot rimfire, but the concentration of shooting at just one range just doesn't appeal to me that much, plus I don't have a full fledged custom rifle. In the end I just prefer centerfire BR more. What you choose is your decision.

Last edited:
Imho

if you decide to try centerfire BR in Maine, which is all score shooting, forget the 6mm and opt for a 30BR. Also, forget the savage, as good a factory rifle as they are and look for a good used custom action BR rifle put together by a reputable gunsmith...with a GOOD BARREL on it, not a shot out one. If you can't determine pay accordingly expecting to have to have a new barrel fitted($400-$500)

Don't forget factory class!

At the Maine IBS centerfire matches previously mentioned by glp, we have a factory class which allows someone unfamiliar with Benchrest shooting to experience the event using a factory and/or slightly modified factory gun. Doing so provides a taste of actual experience and also provides opportunities to see what others are using that are serious about competition.

Last edited:
At the Maine IBS centerfire matches previously mentioned by glp, we have a factory class which allows someone unfamiliar with Benchrest shooting to experience the event using a factory and/or slightly modified factory gun. Doing so provides a taste of actual experience and also provides opportunities to see what others are using that are serious about competition. glp is match director for Orrington while I am the match director for Capitol City (Augusta). Feel free to give me a call if you want more info ...Four 7 Four-85six1.
thanks,i will give you a call sometime this weekend.

i bought the savage.i like the gun.cant wait to shoot it.i will probly use it for f class at scarborough fish and game.

Back