Rimfire Coldbore issues....

Try this to get rid of the carbon ring. ELR is different from 50 yard benchrest and requires a different cleaning method. Usually you don't get to use sighters to warm up your barrel in ELR. Both are fun.
As long as you are having fun, great. But I think you are pushing on a rope.
If you are familiar with bottle cap shooting you know it also depends on cold bore shots. Some have a knack for guessing where that round will land. I never did. Good luck!
TKH

As long as you are having fun, great. But I think you are pushing on a rope.
If you are familiar with bottle cap shooting you know it also depends on cold bore shots. Some have a knack for guessing where that round will land. I never did. Good luck!
TKH
Yeah, definitely pushing on a rope. ;) When I tried spell definitely, spell check said to try that or defiantly. Both apply. Defiantly, definitely having fun. Mr Harper, I have great respect for your rimfire knowledge. Thanks.

Hi Fred,

Normally the out shot goes either up (majority of times) or down (fewer).
Either will mean a vertical line, and a vertical line means tuner out.

Things get more "complex" when it goes up and left/right, or down left/right. It could mean a not concentric tuner.

Sometimes you just can't get rid of those waiting shots. So, either you keep shooting to maintain the rhythm, or you learn where that out shot went, and just compensate aim.

That's why practicing with a plan is so important. You could just spend a day in the range practicing this: 1st line - wait. Shot - look at POI; 2nd line - wait. Compensate POA, shot... and so on.

Practicing gives a lot of luck!

Thanks Pedro,

Work methodically and have a plan for every situation.
Good to hear the base again.(y)

I'm stumped a little with the tuner talk. Will a tuner allow bullets traveling 1150fps and 1080fps go onto the same group? The barrel won't wait. It cools a few minutes then the first round is 1150fps and the following 4 rounds clock in at the 1080fps velocity.
I gave it a thorough scrubbing and will shoot it tomorrow to see what happens .

I'm stumped a little with the tuner talk. Will a tuner allow bullets traveling 1150fps and 1080fps go onto the same group? The barrel won't wait. It cools a few minutes then the first round is 1150fps and the following 4 rounds clock in at the 1080fps velocity.
I gave it a thorough scrubbing and will shoot it tomorrow to see what happens .
My experience is related to BR shooting at 50m.
And with much slower ammo.

After scrubbing the barrel clean I conditioned it today with Eley Rifle Match. And the cold bore returned, needles to say I was pretty bummed.
I cleaned the barrel and shot some Lapua ammo I had and the condition disappeared, yea! So after all thar it was the Eley lube causing all the wait time high velocity first round issues. Lapua uses a different lube which is a little more oil in it. I shot may rounds today through my radar and collected lots of data and graphed it out. Needles to say I'm switching from Eley to Lapua! It's been interesting to collect and review the data.
Thanks folks.
Your friend Chucker.

Back