Rimfire BR at Olympics

P

Peter Armstrong

Rimfire BR at Olympics, maybe one day. But a world championships is the next best thing and I can remember reading on this board people saying if only we had world championships we’d go etc etc.

Well the world champs are on in Milan, Italy this July and at this stage no US shooters have nominated and noms close tomorrow.

With the price of eley increasing about every shipment we are doing good to stay afloat here in the States let alone dropping $5--8000 going to Milan.Heck that money would buy me a calfee gun, or several cases of ammo!

Come on people, it's only 5,000 miles from the USA - it's 10,000 for Peter and he's going.

I'll tell ya

You get me enough Sponsers or Money Backers that will pay my way and I'll go. If not, it's just like Jerry said it's hard enough to pay match fee's, ammo cost, gas, food and lodging just to shoot the Big Matches here in the Good Ole U S of A.

Fiddler

We’d all like to have some sponsorship money paying for this, but there are 8 from Australia who are all paying there own way. For us it's a 24 hour flight to Milan.

I don’t think the the price of Eley has gone up that much, for shooters on your end, I think it’s more a case of the US$ on a down hill slide and it’s dropped more this week.

But just think the first rimfire BR world champion will not be an American.

Great experience

For those that have never traveled abroad and competed in a foreign country, you're missing out on a great experience.

i really dont believe you'll ever see olympic BR shooting! LOL reading the wind, and squeezing a 2oz trigger isnt exactly athletic!:D

I just sent in my registration hopefully everything will work out and ill be there. dj

Disqualified

Even if it were an Olympic event, I would be disqualified because of steroid use in my Blind eyes.

Fred:

Yea.. you're probably right.. We old guys need those steriods and HGH to be able to pull that 2 oz trigger.. :D

Dave

DJ good to hear you are going.

There are 12 matches, 4 air, 8 rifle and each match has team and individual medals and I think top 10 patches, so there are some goodies to be won.

If it helps getting your gear there, instead of taking your own 3 sets of flags, we are shipping over 3 sets of dual vane Wicks, probes etc. We should be able to get you in on our bench rotation. Let me know.

Peter

"But just think the first rimfire BR world champion will not be an American."

Rest assurred if the Americans were there, it'd be an American. You ought to get on a plane and come to the IR5050 3-gun Nationals or ARA Nationals and see how you stack up. Winning either of thsoe would give credibility. No offense intended, or not much. Your quote at the top prompted a response.

DJ: Hope you will do well and wish you the best of luck. At least there is one American going that I know and shoots as well as anyone. Bring home the bacon. garrisone.

Kent,

It’s the same the world over, you can only win a match if you show up for that match.

There is nothing wrong with my match record and I have no problem taking on the best of the US and a neutral venue like Italy is a good place to do it.

It’s easy to say come to a match where 99% of the shooters are locals, the odds are one of the 99% will have a good day. If you and look at the results from the last 2 world postals when the US has to name the shooters before a match it’s not pretty.

Peter,
I may take you up on that according to how many i can get to go. If im alone that would help alot. Ill keep you informed. thanks, dj

Peter,
You threw out the little play of gamesmanship with your post and I just played a long:). However, in all honesty I believe the only way to shoot a rifle match is with all the shooters shooting the same conditions, and the same match on the same day, so I don't put much stock in postal matches. I think a lot of folks believe the same, but just won't say it. I also think to have any credibility for the accomplishment of winning, the best shooters should be present. However, and whatever, good luck to you in Italy. I hope the shoot is well attended and all goes well.

Kent,

The world postal has it place, in countries like the US, some shooters can’t afford it or just don’t want to travel and the postal allows those shooter an opportunity to stay at home and compete on the international stage. Major internationals like the world championships allows for shoulder to shoulder matches.

Bottom line, when given a chance to represent their country, some people step-up, others don’t. To each is own.

If they're the best shooters, then why wouldn't they go shoot alongside them all and prove it? If they're not there, they certainly won't be the best. Can't win if you don't play. Take a look at every single Super Bowl. Every last one of them. How many were won by armchair quarterbacks?

The point isn't that American shooters couldn't win. Or wouldn't win. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. The point is, if they don't go, then they're not even in the running, no matter how good they may be. Gotta be in it to win it, and anything else is just hot air. Is it cheap to fly over to Italy, miss work, etc, etc? No. But that's irrelevant. To compete in the world championships that's where you have to go. And if you don't compete in them, then you can't win, no matter what your abilities may be. If you really wanted to be there, really wanted to compete against the world, really thought you were the best and wanted to show and prove, you'd find a way. Guarantee you each and every single Olympic athlete has made sacrifices along their road to the Games. Because they wanted to compete for themselves and their country.
Peter,
You threw out the little play of gamesmanship with your post and I just played a long:). However, in all honesty I believe the only way to shoot a rifle match is with all the shooters shooting the same conditions, and the same match on the same day, so I don't put much stock in postal matches. I think a lot of folks believe the same, but just won't say it. I also think to have any credibility for the accomplishment of winning, the best shooters should be present. However, and whatever, good luck to you in Italy. I hope the shoot is well attended and all goes well.

If they're the best shooters, then why wouldn't they go shoot alongside them all and prove it? If they're not there, they certainly won't be the best. Can't win if you don't play. Take a look at every single Super Bowl. Every last one of them. How many were won by armchair quarterbacks?

The point isn't that American shooters couldn't win. Or wouldn't win. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. The point is, if they don't go, then they're not even in the running, no matter how good they may be. Gotta be in it to win it, and anything else is just hot air. Is it cheap to fly over to Italy, miss work, etc, etc? No. But that's irrelevant. To compete in the world championships that's where you have to go. And if you don't compete in them, then you can't win, no matter what your abilities may be. If you really wanted to be there, really wanted to compete against the world, really thought you were the best and wanted to show and prove, you'd find a way. Guarantee you each and every single Olympic athlete has made sacrifices along their road to the Games. Because they wanted to compete for themselves and their country.

Talk about armchair quarterbacking!
Gene

Back