rim fire questions from a frustrated center fire shooter

J

Juan Lago

First, my condolences to you rimfire faithful that have to chase lot number ammo like fine wine vintages to find a "year" your pretty lady likes.

As I make the rounds with about 15 combos of brand, bullet, and "vintages" (lot #s) in Horn. 17HMR, I have encountered another complication, split necks and shoulders. I've contacted the well know manufacturer, and their response is I have old ammo (‘02 & ‘03), and the brass has become brittle; call to make arrangements for exchange. I've been shooting and reloading almost 50 years, and have occasionally run into CF cases which produced body splits, but they were 30 or more years old. In this case I'm suspicious the 17HMR were either not annealed or the bass sufficiently ductile when these case’s shoulders were formed. Anyone have any input or similar experience on this?

Second question is why primed rimfire cases aren’t available to permit handloading. Would allow bullet, powder, and charge variation, also OL to allow fine tuning instead of hanging an extra third of a pound on the barrel etc. What am I missing? Is it an issue with the primer compound being too sensitive for reloaders to work with?

Another frustration. I still own my first rifle, a Rem 550 autoloader used for many years and many chucks. While in high school and void of much in the way of power tools I spent untold hours hand sanding and polished the metal works to remove all tooling marks, applied a nice pleasing Belgium satin blue from Herders, restocked with a very high grade fiddle back walnut stock once a part but orphaned from an inexpensive JP Stevens gun (that for sure happens no more), and applied a G66 urethane spray finish on par with the finish found on Browning Superposed shotguns. Now retired, I have revisited that old but beautiful friend, and so for cannot find "modern" ammo, regular, high speed, or match, which will provide the inch or less accuracy at 100 yards produced by the Rem. HS hollow points from the '60s, of which about 75 rounds is all I have left. MADDENING!!!

Yes the primer compound...............................

is the problem. Wouldn't it be neat if someone brought out a Lee loader, complete w/scoops, just for rimfire shooters??? I'll bet that would be......En-lightening ;)

As far as the ammo is concerned, yes, ammo today, OTC is a PITA as far as accuracy and reliability is concerned. But, with the merchant class driving the economics rather than a healthy crop of REAL shooters, this is why you get the crap that you do.
Back when you started shooting, if you couldn't hit a SMALL target at 100, any kid could tell you what would work better, because they shot rats at the dump, or other impromtu events to measure skill. Couple this w/a dollar dropping like a stone, and its no wonder you can't get good $h=t anymore, just $h=t!!
Now, unless you buy the high-dollar stuff, you are likely to have 5-6 mis, or FTF in a box. Before, the ammo companies loaded to a standard, once the boxstores started dictating WHAT they would PAY and what it SHOULD sell for, the real quality diminished. Now, the ammo is loaded to a PRICE-point, so, you get what you get. :cool:

Uh Brian, should'nt you put your tinfoil hat back on and wander back over to the "Black helicopters are always watching me " forum.

Props ? What props, We don't need no stinkin props, we got electromagnetic & RF deflectors and laser absorbers now days. That's just in my code ring. Trouble is they have been planting those low frequency sound emitters in front of the target line tuned into my 40 gr. projectiles and I can not seem to find a resonate frequency to cancel the effect.

Juan,

Hornady is very familiar with the HMR and 17mach2 ammo problem. CCI (owned by the same company) makes the Hornday rimfire ammo and they really don't like doing it. Anyway, they weren't annealing the 22wmr and 22lr brass before they were necking it down to make it a 17cal. CCI swore it wouldn't make any difference so the Hornady engineers finally bought off on it. Well, they were wrong. This has been going on for a long time. The problem is, will the new lot shoot as good as the old? I have some 17mach2 that splits one in about every five but they are small spits and aren't effecting the chamber, accuracy or safety. If you are splitting way down the body....then there can be trouble with small stuff hitting you in the face/eyes.

Hovis

Back