Right side bolt, Face side port

JJ-IA

I used to love them, major speed and workflow advantage between shots. Felt like a duck out of water shooting the Right Right multi-purpose panda I kept the last match I attended.

But after a rimfire match I attended today the range was opened to center fire, and I got to witness what happens when something goes wrong (first shot fireforming) and gas vents with a face side port ppc.
I hope everything turns out the best it can for the shooter involved and he’s back shooting with us at a varmint match in a few weeks.

Have a great match season guys but think safe, aggs and scores mean nothing unless the gas and bullet goes out the front of the barrel every time.

Jim

face side port

Being a left hand shooter I have always been concerned about this. But a LB RP is the only way to go when BR shooting so what do you do? Also, have many right hand rifles. Other than not loading to max and just being careful what's the solution?

And yet you'll drive to the range on a freeway, 75 mph bumper to bumper, and think nothing of it. :rolleyes::cool:

Ray

I must confess that I shoot a left right, left handed, but somehow this has not enabled me to catch Mr. Boyer, who I believe shoots a right right, right handed. Just think of what he could have done if he were not handicapped with inferior equipment.:D

First shot fireforming?

We should understand this better so we don't repeat it. I'm going to assume if this was the first fire forming shot that the load was light, perhaps the bbl was wet after cleaning, and the round didn't build enough pressure to expand and seal the bore. Thoughts?

Thanks for the account Jim, definitely food for thought. But no, I'm not giving up my RBLP. -- Scott

inferior equipment?

No one said any thing about inferior equipment. This is just a safety issue, granted a small one.
I have shot many right handed rifles and shotguns and I can remember several times getting my shooting glasses splattered with powder residue. Especially with semi-auto shotguns. It is a safety concern that people shooting a face-side port firearm need to be aware of.
What does this have to do with driving 75 MPH? I don't drive 75 because our law says 65 is the limit. Now if you want to try and make some analogy with this and say it's stupid to drive bumper to bumper over the speed limit then then OK you made you point. But this situation isn't a trivial joke.

I must confess that I shoot a left right, left handed, but somehow this has not enabled me to catch Mr. Boyer, who I believe shoots a right right, right handed. Just think of what he could have done if he were not handicapped with inferior equipment.:D

If he felt it was inferior he would not be shooting it. It's as simple as that.

Del

Wow! You read a lot more into my post than I intended. It was meant tongue in cheek.

Lighten up.

Ray

South of Detroit, I-75, it's 85 MPH.
Limit is 70 MPH.
And get out of the way of drivers with Ohio plates.
They don't get points for out of state tickets.....
There is a Pruis that passes me most days at 95 MPH. Ohio plates.

Years ago I witnessed a situation that came very close to this when someone was fire forming new brass. The base expanded and the primer vaporized, but there wasn’t any damage to the shooter. He had the same .262 chamber as my rifle so I checked one of their loaded rounds with my stub chamber. The neck turning wasn’t very smooth and had obvious drag marks on top of the ridges when lightly “pressed” into my stub chamber. I doubt he even noticed the light force required by pushing the slightly tight necks into the chamber, but that was all it took.
After that day I always checked my neck length with a hand trimmer that indexed on the shoulder, checked all my loaded rounds by dropping them in my stub chamber, and looked down my barrel before inserting the bolt. None of these things take any time.

That time it was just one of those countless times where safety glasses were all it took to save the day. What happened Saturday was several orders of magnitude worse. I can only speculate on the cause it and wont, but the intensity of the vent actually rolled the -rear end- of the stainless steel port and chewed out a path in the composite stock as it continued on its way.

I don’t know the answer but thinking about it a little, maybe a small angled deflector behind the port like AR-15’s use to deflect brass would be a good start.

Years ago I witnessed a situation that came very close to this when someone was fire forming new brass. The base expanded and the primer vaporized, but there wasn’t any damage to the shooter. He had the same .262 chamber as my rifle so I checked one of their loaded rounds with my stub chamber. The neck turning wasn’t very smooth and had obvious drag marks on top of the ridges when lightly “pressed” into my stub chamber. I doubt he even noticed the light force required by pushing the slightly tight necks into the chamber, but that was all it took.
After that day I always checked my neck length with a hand trimmer that indexed on the shoulder, checked all my loaded rounds by dropping them in my stub chamber, and looked down my barrel before inserting the bolt. None of these things take any time.

That time it was just one of those countless times where safety glasses were all it took to save the day. What happened Saturday was several orders of magnitude worse. I can only speculate on the cause it and wont, but the intensity of the vent actually rolled the -rear end- of the stainless steel port and chewed out a path in the composite stock as it continued on its way.

I don’t know the answer but thinking about it a little, maybe a small angled deflector behind the port like AR-15’s use to deflect brass would be a good start.

I recall a discussion quite some time ago about the placement and size of vent holes in bolts. There was some thought that many of them are probably not as large as they ought to be to vent the volume of gasses involved. I have seen the result of some "overpressures" and the magazines were blown out, the stock shattered and so on. When something lets go the margin for safety is pretty small....

Back