Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger

chino69

I just purchased a Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger for my Savage single shot varmint rig. Upon examining all the parts and pre-assembling, I made some modifications to further improve the design.

Let me state the Rifle Basix trigger is a very nice unit with an excellent CD that comes with it. The trigger would have suited most people and performed admirably without modifications.

That being said, I have to try and perfect everything I own so here's what I did.

1) I polished all contact surfaces to a mirror finish polish with a Foredom tool, red rouge, and hard buffing wheels.

2) I shimmed the inner sides of the trigger housing using two pieces of .004 shim stock on each side of the trigger and sear engagement lever. The shim stock was cut to fit the profile of the trigger housing and holes were drilled where the pins go through. It eliminated quite a bit of side play. I did the same thing to my Jewells using .002 Ron Power shims for S & W revolver hammer pins.

3) The pins were spun in the foredom chuck and polished with crocus cloth.
The pins holes were polished with red rouge using a modified felt bob that fits in the holes.

4) The sides of the trigger and sear lever were polished with crocus, removing high spots.

5) The whole assembly was put together with moly paste in holes and on contact surfaces.

The end result was a trigger with a 4oz. pull that is really nice. Not everyone need go to this extent but with a little work, you can take a good trigger and make it a superior one. I would put it in the same league as my Jewells in both feel, performance, and function.

Chino69

Interesting.

I put a Sav-2 in my 112 FV in .223 a couple years ago and it is very nice, I don't remember exactly what it is set at now. I don't think I got it down to 4oz though. I'll have to check, I think it is about 6oz with very little movement.

I put a newer Sav-2 in a friend's new Savage that had the AccuTrigger and it seems better than my old model. Sad thing is, he doesn't shoot much and I had it 'too light' for him to feel it. I ended up setting it at 9oz to make him happy.

I have a couple other Savages I am planning on putting new triggers in. I'll try improving them like you did. I can hardly shoot a gun with a 2# trigger for accuracy anymore.

Back