Rifle-Basix for Remington 700

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
I just installed my third Rifle-Basix ERV-3K on a Remington 700. This one is a BDL sporter model in .222 Remington. I have used it for various club matches with some success. I had the factory trigger set at 32 ounces but there was a good deal of creep. Rather than fool with it any more, I elected to buy another Rifle-Basix as I had been so pleased with them on other rifles. This one breaks clean at 6.6 ounces as set at the factory with no creep and no overtravel. I considered the highly recommended Trigger-Tech but in the end decided to go with what I had used successfully already. This gun has shot about .6 MOA for five shots with the old trigger. I'll report on results when the weather improves some.

Triggers

I have never used a rifle basix trigger but always have hea d good things about them. I did install a timney into a late 40s FN Mauser 06 I got from my FIL years ago. The factory trigger broke cleanly but at about 8 lbs. the timney literally improved the rifles accuracy significantly. I still have the rifle. Have shot two moose with it. Incredible performance with 200 grain partition bullets and a max load of IMR 4350from my old Lyman manual. Minimal case expansion in front to the web and easy extracrion with no appreciable case lengthing. That timney made the rifle fun to shoot.

Clean, crisp with no creep or overtravel is certainly my ideal, but if I can't get that, I at least want consistent and controllable. I have an ancient Stevens Favorite with a good bore that I shoot very well. I couldn't sit here and describe that trigger pull to you even though I've shot it for 62 years. Suffice it to say it ain't anyone's idea of great, but it never varies. You just keep squeezin, knowin' it's gonna go off one of these days.

Back