Rifle Action Blank

B

BAJ

Does anyone know where I can purchase an EDM cut action blank for a home built Remington 700 project? I remember there use to be a guy in the classified section of this website that sold them, but the Ad appears to be gone.

Thanks,
Brian

A guy that went by the screen name glbreil on Practical Machinist was the guy that used to make them. Look him up and see if he still offers them.

Gary Breiling - G & M Custom Guns. His last email was glbreil (at) frontier.com
He made a good & straight blank, I'm happy with mine.
seb.

Action blanks

Gary Breiling makes an excellent action blank. They are dead straight and true sized. He makes both a short and a long version. Get a bolt from Pacific Tool and Guage and you are set.

The email given above is what I have for him also.

Joe

Sorry for the delay in responding but I am still alive and making blanks and can be reached at glbreil@frontier.com, I just haven't been online much lately.

You can also give me a call if you prefer at 618-383-3170.

Thanks Gary Breiling

Gary Breiling makes an excellent action blank. They are dead straight and true sized. He makes both a short and a long version. Get a bolt from Pacific Tool and Guage and you are set.

The email given above is what I have for him also.

Joe
I think they are just blanks Joe.
There's more to it than just getting a bolt from PT&G.

I think they are just blanks Joe.
There's more to it than just getting a bolt from PT&G.

There is a lot more to it than just buying a bolt. But, the blank is edm cut to fit the remington style bolt. You have to do all the following machining to turn it into a finished action. Lots of lathe and mill time but it is doable.

Joe

Here one from Gary's blank.
A repeater, PTG bolt .701", custom metals & two levers 11 oz trigger. Not pretty, ugly stock & scope, but it works very well.

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

seb.

Hi Fellows

I will try to post a picture tonight but it really isn't a sight to behold, it is a stainless tube hardened and ready to go with a nice straight and smooth bolt way cut in it.

The plan with these is just to provide a guy with a lathe, mill and a little desire a way to build his own bench rest quality action.

When I started I wanted to do the same and every one I contacted about cuttings a few blanks wanted around $400 with me providing the material. Eventually I had a chance to buy an older EDM and I bought it, set it up, learned how to use it and now I am able to provide the same thing I wanted to others.

I am not getting rich, it's just a side line for me fortunately I have a real job also or I would starve on the blank business.

I cut a standard blank that fits a Rem or PTG bolt but I can cut any thing a guy wants. All I need is a sketch and some dimensions.

Anyway it's kind of nice in this day of gun control to know you can grow your own. I will post some pictures.

Thanks Gary

A dremel tool and some time and your good to go. Don

this is just silly..... without some files and a bunch of sandpaper and backing blocks it's gonna' look perty hacked you just carve i'tup wit' a dremel! Plus you'll need a drill for some stuff.

Don't go after it with just a dremel :)

I reckon you'd want a cuttin torch an a bucket of cold water for heat treatin when ya got done with all that dremel grinding and block sanding?

Here is a picture of a blank as I said not much to see at this point, but I have seen some nice actions built from them.

Wayne, I can only cut the bolt way lugs all the way through the blank which is not too good for a rim fire with the bolt lugs at mid action like the 40X, however I sold some blanks to Bill Myers before he died and he made a couple of center fire actions and completed a rifle out of one of them which was on a thread he started here at one time.

Not long before he passed away I sent him a couple more blanks and he told me he was going to bore the blanks back to the middle where his bolt lugs were and then press in a bushing in to support the front of the bolt and make some 40X type actions of his own design. If he ever completed them I did not get to see them, but he said that is how he planned to do it.

If any of you spend any time over on the homegunsmith.com site you would see that firearms can be built with some very limited tools such as a dremel, hack saw, drill etc, the fit and finish would not meet most of your expectations but at the same time you would not want to shot at with one of them.

There are some folks over there that could finish a blank with a dremel and make it work... well they might use some sanding blocks too.;)

Jay they have already been heated with the torch and dunked so that step won't be necessary!

Thanks Gary

Attachments

• BENCHRR.JPG
    BENCHRR.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG00123-20110520-1730.jpg
    IMG00123-20110520-1730.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
Good info to have , it's something Id love to try . . . . . but I want it scaled up for a 50BMG :cool:

QUOTEOriginally Posted by Don Nielson
A dremel tool and some time and your good to go. Don

QUOTE this is just silly..... without some files and a bunch of sandpaper and backing blocks it's gonna' look perty hacked you just carve i'tup wit' a dremel! Plus you'll need a drill for some stuff.

Don't go after it with just a dremel

Pretty sure that was sarcasm ;)

Last edited:
Here goes a pic of one of Gary's blanks after the barrel tennon thread has been cut......Ian

Actionblank.jpg

Back