Removing brass buildup on neck turn cutter

I've always used zero rake on cutting tools for brass. Positive rake leads to "grabbing" and "digging in" for me. Especially with drills.

We are not talking about a drill!! Any loose axis, hand fed, cutting tool that has the ability to grab like a drill, brass will grab it for sure. On a lathe where the tool can not grab, unless you really have a loose and light duty lathe, positive rake is the way to go.

On any material that is subject to work hardening, brass, copper, aluminum, etc, a negative rake tool will induce some work hardening. On cartridge necks this is not good. They will work harden and split soon enough as it is just by the sizing button.

Hey Steve, there's no war! Just a little friendly banter.;)

Jerry didn't say everyone's brass, I think he just meant for him & me.........C'mon, not even for a free cutter?

Now you have a bunch of info to consider.......best of luck getting your tool to dance with you again.
-Dave-:)

Dave, Steve will turn our brass if we will write his software for him, right Steve.

I have the same problem with my k&m turner. I turn my 6br's for a .262 nk and do it in 3 steps and still get a hunk of build up that won't brush off. This is after years of practice slow or fast rpm. I will try the sweets idea though, never thought of that! chris

Francis, I haven't had most of the problems I've read about here from time to time either. I just ensure the case/mandrel fit is good, use Imperial sizing die wax inside and out, make sure the cutting tool is in decent shape, and polish the mandrel on the lathe with Flitz once in a while. I've never had any problems with neck turning because I've always followed these few basic rules.

When machining anything, it is important to use the proper tool geometry, speed and feed rate, and coolant/lubricant. As long as these things are right, there should be few problems. If they are not, you'll find yourself with all sorts of issues, most of which guys will try to correct with exoctic oily concoctions or voo doo-ish special methods........look to the basics to solve metal cutting problems, not the band-aid box.

Why have I never had this brass buildup problem? Who else is having the brass buildup problem?

I feel left out too cuz' nobody's offering to turn MY necks :(

LOL

al

Actually, in my new loading room I don't mind turning necks now...... I just crank up a mix of Corb Lund/Waylon/AC-DC and maybe some Gordon Lightfoot for mellowness and turn awayyyy........

then I stand up and fall down.

Why have I never had this brass buildup problem? Who else is having the brass buildup problem?

Because while you and the dog were sitting by the warm fire and sipping on a hot chocolate, Jan and Paul were in the reloading room working and slaving turning brass!!

Brrrr, we are 12F this morning!!

Apply Wipe-Out/Patch Out to dissolve, then wipe off with a patch or Q-tip.
May need to repeat.
To prevent use high speed cutting oil as a lube.
CLP

Steve Lee

If you want, get in touch with me and I'll send you a sample of "Ultra Turn" neck turning lube. You won't have any more problems with your cutter or brass.

Dave Dohrmann
dbugholes@aol.com

Francis

You're sounding more like Dick Wright every day. Every story begins with a story. Oh, and the cookie sheet thing. There's nothing better than Lapua Oatmeal cookies for a holiday treat. Yum!

...Dave

Bailey The Basset winters in Jeddo, where it is much more pleasant than Marquette, Michigan. We get about 60-70 inches of snow a year and they average about 200 inches. The record in Marquette is over 400 inches in 1996-97. I doubt there are many bassets in Marquette for the very simple reason that short legs (not Dave Short's legs) and deep snow just don't work out well.

Thanks for making that distinction, Francis.......For the record, my legs don't do as well in deep snow as they used to......I know just how Bailey must feel.

Hey, if you succeed in getting the family into case turning mode, can I send a few boxes of BR & PPC cases up to you? Oh, and lets not forget Jerry, might as well figure on doing some for him......since it looks like Steve ain't gonna do ours.

the off-season has arrived, eh?

Back