Remington X Mark Pro Triggers

Stever

This is a Remington 700 question.

A good friend at my gun club asked about a target rifle with an XMP trigger. I told him was that no one would use the factory trigger in a target rifle. Money is a concern for him, so I said get the rifle - you can always change the trigger down the road. I am not a fan of the 700, so I could not advise him, but it got me thinking.

My only experience with the XMP trigger was about 10 years ago, I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle in 223. It wouldn't shoot, so I got rid of it. There were a few things wrong with it, but one was a dismal trigger. The screw came right out of the the trigger group and the pull weight never changed. I realize that this was the trigger that was involved in the recall.

I understand that some people do not like factory Remington triggers and it's a no brainer to install an aftermarket offering. The bad press about the XMP has been going on for years, but a lot of what floats on the Internet is before the recall.

My question: I cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right after the lawsuit. Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design? Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?

Steve

Last edited:
I have a 700 mountain rifle with a post-recall XMP trigger. I can't say if they did anything other than less loctite. I can say that the trigger is not very adjustable. However I have it at about 3.25 pounds. It breaks clean with no creep or overtravel. I consider it a very good hunting trigger. I see no need to change it.

On any Rem 700 that I intend to use in any sort of competition I use either a Rifle-basix or a Jewell.

Thanks for responding. I'm not quite sure how my friend wishes to proceed, but he will be able to pick up a competent starter rifle and replace things later.

I hope they did something to it. I remember my experience with the XMP wasn't very good. It's hard to remain neutral when your memories are bad.

All the best.

OP,
Have your friend purchase & install a Trigger Tech trigger group in his/her Rem 700.

Thank Me later.

Rem X Mark & X Mark Pro trigger groups are MIM'd JUNK & should be removed from the action & placed under an accelerated 4Lb drilling hammer to take them out of service.

The recall removed the excess clear fingernail polish,was reapplied & a prick punch mark was applied/centered into the bolt release lever tab.

Thanks for responding. As I said in my first post, money is a concern for him. Originally, I told him to buy a Tikka to be able to shoot better out of the box, but he cannot afford it. Like many others, he will have to learn as he progresses and buy add-ons as funds allow.

Cheers.

Stever,

You keep saying "money is a concern for him"....as though this is relevant??? Hill's Bills Man...... EVERYbody's got's a budget!! "money is a concern for"......everybody

BUT

That doesn't change the facts.

You say "you understand some people don't like...." and you say "bad press" ...... and you say "shoulda' boughta' Tikka"...... :)

I disagree.

But first of all lissen to Dan... YES.... the trigger is JUNK! It deserves to be poundered back to constituency, mechanically and with alacrity... BUT....

But, but, but..... you also say your SPS was somehow less accurate because of the trigger.... that it "wouldn't shoot"

Why?

How?

What effect did the TRIGGER have on it's accuracy?

I say..... your original plan was/is good. But to not DINK with that cruddy trigger. It is not designed to be dinked with. Just learn to shoot with it. IMO IT WILL NOT affect the accuracy of the gun. It's just harder to shoot well.

That said, Jerry Miculek could hold it upsideown, r'ar up on his hind feets and fire it with his pinkie...... and connect @ 1K

Cuz Jerry don' be BOTHERED with details...... nor make a'scuses.

be like Jerry

Are you feeling alright?

Take a pill and relax. All is well. It was a simple question. Don't read into it. Don't overthink it. And besides, it's not my decision to make.

Are you feeling alright?

Take a pill and relax. All is well. It was a simple question. Don't read into it. Don't overthink it. And besides, it's not my decision to make.

Stever, Listen to Dan and Al. They have been around the pasture many times and have not fallen off the turnip truck.

There is nothing to listen to. I did not ask for advice. There is no wisdom here. I asked a simple question, but either senility or boredom spun this in a different direction. Let's recap.

"My question: I cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right after the lawsuit. Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design? Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?"

Reading skills, gentlemen, or more to the point, a lack thereof.

If you wish to talk aftermarket triggers, start another thread. At any rate, this post has run its course.

There is nothing to listen to. I did not ask for advice. There is no wisdom here. I asked a simple question, but either senility or boredom spun this in a different direction. Let's recap.

"My question: I cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right after the lawsuit. Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design? Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?"

Reading skills, gentlemen, or more to the point, a lack thereof.

If you wish to talk aftermarket triggers, start another thread. At any rate, this post has run its course.

LOL!!!

Your question I cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right after the lawsuit.

Your infantile speculation Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design?

Your final question Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?

You joined this forum for THIS??? And then wanna' get all STUFFY???

wheee

lolagain

LOL!!!

Your question I cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right after the lawsuit.

Your infantile speculation Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design?

Your final question Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?

You joined this forum for THIS??? And then wanna' get all STUFFY???

wheee

lolagain

This thread has run its course. Shush.

The orderly will be in shortly with your Jell-O. It's a shame you never went to school and learned to read.

Last edited:
OP,
Read,Heed & Comprehend-

clicked & pasted for the snowflake-
The recall removed the excess clear fingernail polish,was reapplied & a prick punch mark was applied/centered into the bolt release lever tab.

In regards to your statement

"shoulda bought a Tikka", I agree with you. Mine T3 is incredibly accurate and has a wonderful, no creep trigger breaking at about 4-5 lbs. Its good enough to produce .6" 3-shot groups with 129 gr Hornady SST hunting bullets. Its in 6.5x55 SE. The barrel cleans up almost as fast as any of the benchrest quality barrels I've had over the years from Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Krieger, Brux, Rock Creek, Kostishyn or Bartlein. It's head and shoulders ahead of ANY factory Remington I have ever had or have accuracy and barrel quality wise (except a 40X RF and several 37's).

Last edited:
Back